The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You see I have done lots of things, and almost fell off, but never have. And most people say "if you have never fallen off then, you are still not a true rider." And I wonder if this is true. I have had many times when I almost fall off but some how catch myself. Does this mean I am still not a true rider? :'(

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I think more or less what they mean by that, is if you have the guts to get back in the saddle after a fall - then you know you're REALLY into it... for those who haven't fallen off, they haven't had to experience that fear and once they fall that fear may swallow them and they may never mount up again.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
PaintsPwn and Brighteyes pegged it perfectly!!! When you will get back on a horse after it has just broken your leg...or ride shortly after having broken ribs and collapsed lungs due to a horse, you might as well figure you're a life-er...lol

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
It is NOT about getting back on when injured. That is dangerous, and I would NEVER advise anyone to do so.

It is about how getting back on after taking a fall can be a very scary situation - It knocks your confidence about and many people quit riding after a fall.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Falling doesn't make a true rider. It just makes an unlucky one. Don't worry about falling, because if you do then the aftermath fear will just be worse.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
WildSpot - no one suggested that she gets back on right after an injury. I fell, jammed my tailbone without realizing it, but I still got on for my lesson.. It was stupid, but I got my lesson darn it! LOL And I didn't really feel it until I got off and it was like, "Hmm.. something ain't right." and it hurt to sit.

I didn't do much past a walk for a good week and a half after that, and it took a whole year for the pain to completely diminish - and YES, I had xrays done by my awesome chiropractor, who was very very gentle with me right after my fall - what luck huh? Wouldn't adjust me till he made sure I didn't break anything.

Point in the matter is, is that it's not IF you fall.... it's WHEN.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Falling doesn't make a true rider. It just makes an unlucky one.
Exactly. Falls, or any horse related injury, can occur because of the horse, the rider, or just plain bad luck.

If you enjoy riding, for whatever reason, you are a true rider, regardless of whether you ever fall or not.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the support and making me feel better about it all. :) And I do REALLY love to ride! But, the thing is I am not scared of falling off. Like the other week, I was on a horse and it kept on bolting for no reason. It did it 3 times! But I never got scared to go back into my lesson right after I cooled him down. But, like I said I'm not afraid of it, I am willing to take any pain this journey gives me, because I love riding so much!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
For me, the definition of a 'true' rider (we are ALL true, some are just better at it and/or more eager about it) is one that is WILLING to chance a fall. We all know that if one sticks with the sport long enough and rides enough horses including young, green and in diverse stages of training/rehab, one WILL fall. Are you WILLING to take that rare and slim chance? Not same as looking to or planning on it, of course not, just accepting that you will and not being intimidated by such an opportunity.

A limited history of falling combined with continued, suitably skilled riding is essentially proof of one's potential ability and confidence to the ones hiring : ). If I were to hire, I would take for granted that the one I am most considering has been off several times as it is established that s/he has been riding for quite some time, as well as on a wider variety of horses. The more horses one rides, the more likely they are to have fallen at some point. Yes, the comfort and desire in remounting is important, absolutely! Equally so is the range of experience. To say one is not a 'true' rider until having fallen is somewhat accurate for me (tis a benefit to know HOW as well as WHEN) but comes up short due to personal interpretation.

When one sits a horse, one is riding. THAT is true : )

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
PaintsPwn and Brighteyes pegged it perfectly!!! When you will get back on a horse after it has just broken your leg...or ride shortly after having broken ribs and collapsed lungs due to a horse, you might as well figure you're a life-er...lol
That's not smart. If you're that hurt, don't get back on.

There was one time I didn't get back on, but that's because I couldn't walk at all or use my right hand. Fractured and tore ligaments in my left ankle and had a badly sprained left wrist... Actually, I did ride a horse back to the the trailer (we were XC schooling), just not mine.

But overall, falling off in inevitable and it shows your serious when you pull yourself back into the irons. Don't worry if you haven't fallen off yet ;)

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
When you will get back on a horse after it has just broken your leg...or ride shortly after having broken ribs and collapsed lungs due to a horse, you might as well figure you're a life-er...lol
I was posting in response to this. It is silly and dangerous to encourage anyone to get back on when seriously injured.

Hey, i've done it myself - I rode for days on a fractured tailbone, have ridden with a broken foot, etc. But I would never suggest anyone do it themselves.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I see - my bad! Skimmed over it too quickly I guess :p yeah, that's not smart. LOL

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ok...when the horse had just broken my leg, I was out on a strip job (for those who have never heard of one, a wide-open mining area which has been reclaimed). I HAD to get back on or try to drag myself 5 miles out of the place. Cell phones didn't exist back then, and even if they had, we still get no reception what-so-ever there even today.

With the broken ribs...During my lengthy (very lengthy for me) stay at the hospital, all I could think about was getting back on. When I actually did, I had people there to help me.

My whole point to my first post was actually the fear factor, and not being scared to the point to where one says, "I'll never get back on. I got thrown once."

The owner of the barn where I used to work did tell everybody in his lesson program that you couldn't really be considered a rider unless you've fallen off at least 10 times. Do I actually agree with that? Not necessarily. But on the other hand, I have ridden many many horses since I first started riding. Most of which I have not owned myself. Most green, but a lot of well broke horses also.

I also strongly agree with what a person in my past said to me..."Once riding gets in your blood, you can't make it just go away."

So, I was not in any way telling her to go straight and get back on. And I'm very sorry if it sounded that way.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Oh, and to add to the last post...

I was in the hospital for a total of 10 days. 2 more weeks after that I couldn't hardly move. And another week before I could convince the BO, husband, and mother-in-law that I would be able to ride at a walk in the riding ring with the help of all three of them. My hubby had returned the unbroken horse that had thrown me onto the trampoline frame, and it was actually MY horse that I rode. I feel the desire to ride is what pulled me through the whole thing mentally. And yes, stupid or not, within a month--month and half after getting out of the hospital, I was out on a very short, very flat trail. But, once again, I had people there to help me if needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.