The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride my 15.3 hand horse, and im 5 foot 5, approximately 180 lbs. Yes I know Im large, Im big boned and I'm on some meds that slow my metabolism down to about nothing. But am I too big to be riding? I dont have an available picture of me on her, but i just need to know If im too big?

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I ride a 14.2hh arab. I'm 5'4" and pushing 170lb (mostly junk in the trunk but im on the south beach diet and already lost 5 lbs). My mare dose not even feel me some days. my 6'4" bf that is 240lb can hop on her and she keeps going like he is not even up there. (he can also ride his dad's ALMOST 14hh navajo pony and she will climb mountains for hours as if he is not there).

So to answer your question, no you are not to big. You are perfectly fine :). As stated, Haters gonna hate!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I've been told I was, thats why I was kind of concerned! Thank you!
you can tell whoever said that to stuff it

i ride a 15.3 QH and i am 5'11" at 235 pounds

besides, riding is excellent exercise and strengthens your legs and core -- so it includes some of your largest muscles which cause you to burn calories at a faster rate than working your smaller muscles.

if you want to increase your metabolism, increase your activity :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
goodness, you guys are soo much better than the other forum site. they all told me i was too overweight to be riding, period.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I still can't wrap my head around why us thicker ladies get singled out with hefty men plopping down on ponies asking for sliding stops and what not...

But back to the OP, as already stated, you're fine! Enjoy the ride!! :)

·
Administrator
35,954 Posts
You're horse would soon let you know if you were too heavy.
Riding can help you lose weight because it keeps you busy but it's not something you should stress about - be happy

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
You're fine, 180 pounds is not a lot for a 15.3hh horse if he is built at all decently, of course if he is a poorly conformed, weedy needs feeding 3 year old or something I MAY say differently.

According to the *spits* BMI scale you are kind of heavy for your own body, so it will be important to be as fit as you can. I have recently found the difference between being fat and unfit, to fat and fit when it comes to riding, and it makes a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
BMI says I'm overweight by 15 lbs lol I think i'm just right...stupid BMI
You have to realize that BMI is a population measure, designed for mostly sedentary types. Anyone with good muscle development is likely to be nudging into the 'overweight' part of the scale. In that range, you really need to look at body fat percentage & similar measures.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Reactions: Roux

·
Registered
6 Posts
no not at all I am 230 6'0 and ride a 10 hand horse and she does not know I am even on her. keep riding haters hate... happy trails!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I have to chuckle, because 180 lbs is my GOAL weight. I was riding normal-sized QHs when I was between 270-240 and trail riding for hours at a shot. The biggest beast I've ever ridden was my 16 hand, 1600 lb draft mule.

I've found that really small people don't have any idea of what "heavy" really is. To someone who weighs 100 lbs soaking wet, 200 pounds is ungodly because all they're referencing it against is their own 100 lbs. But to a 200 lb person who's fit and muscular and still able to carry on all the normal activities the 100 lb person does, they're not feeling like they're as huge as the 100 lb person probably thinks they are.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts