The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering what ya'll think, here's me on the lil fella and occasionally on I saddle up for some short routes that are 99% walk. I'm about 155 lbs and he's 13hh. He aint telling me ouch on the way, or going all funny. Feels good to be getting him moving, kinda hate him being just a field ornament and my overweight trick pony. My folks seem to think he's good to go at least once in awhile.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,132 Posts
Me too...to heavy and to tall.
Your center of gravity and balance are way above his and that truly bothers me.
It also appears you are sitting on the back of that saddle or whatever it is you sit on and that applies extra pressure to the loin and kidney area...for that reason...make those rides small in duration and go real easy on the little guy.
13 hands is my neighbors Paso size and at 5'6" tall I can drape myself across his back in the pasture...and you appear significantly taller than I.

Sorry, I advocate for the animal and ask you to get off...his kidneys and spine are not worth him getting a bit of exercise to damage.

I use to jog with my horse as a teen so we both got exercise heading out and cheated and rode coming home. ;)
Have you tried driving?
Would be a cute driven pony....
🐴...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey it's all good, now I don't have to get all guilt tripped for not wanting to ride him! It's not like I don't have this other fella to keep me busy. Opposite ends of the spectrum "Am I too big for my rider?" :LOL:

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think if it's a once in a while thing you'd be alright but if you were riding him all the time no your to heavy and to tall. For me I'd never ever ride a horse that was not big enough for me. If you look it up a rider exceeding the weight of 150 pounds should not be riding a 13hh pony, your weight exceeds that limit. Pretend your pony is around 340kg, it should not carry more than 20% of its weight, 20% of 340kg is 68kg, this means your over the weight limit. Don't forget that all of the tack adds to the weight he's holding as well.

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,514 Posts
I hear ya, even once or twice a month for 20-30 mins a pop?
If you feel like hes needs the exercise I would pony him with your other horse when you go out for rides. :giggle: I like that (Am I to big for my rider :p) ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm 5'8", 130-140. I ride my 13.2 & 12h ponies.
They've never complained about it, haven't shown back pain or anything either.
Yes, I look silly. But that doesn't matter.
Center of gravity doesn't change based on horse size. Where you carry your own body weight & fat stays the same unless you gain or loose a lot of weight.
Smaller horses have faster trots that may be difficult to keep up with.

Is he sagging his back or using it? Slow lazy walk or a working walk with purpose?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Would this be the same Welsh section B type you asked about a few months back? As I said before, you're too much for such a little guy - there's very little in front of you, if the saddle fits him and not you, or vice versa, then he's going to get back issues.

You're right, concentrate on your horse and listen to the suggestions - lead out Mr Grey or teach him to drive

Too big to ride Mr Grey pony?

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
It looks like your saddle is light and you're able to sit in front of the last rib while also clearing the shoulder. That's very important, with a small pony to have a well fitting saddle. However, I can't see if the saddle fits you, and if it is too small and you're sitting on the cantle, it will cause pressure in the wrong places and could make your pony sore.

Weight-wise, I'll assume your small saddle does not weigh more than ten pounds, which would put you at about 165 lbs total. My 13 hand pony weight tapes at 640 lbs. She is similar in build to your pony. If I were you, I'd weight tape your pony, and also weigh yourself with saddle and boots on, so you know what weight you're actually putting on the pony.

If your pony weighed 640 lbs, and you were adding 165 lbs to her back, you'd be at about 26% of her weight. That's a little heavy for hard riding, but certainly not too heavy to walk and jog around a bit.
With my tack I weigh in at 132 lbs, so am right around 21% of my pony's weight. I consider that light enough for harder riding on an Arab pony.

1,882 Posts
They are sturdy and you are not that heavy
I would ride him as much as you like
With gear I have weighed in at 220 to make heavy weight and the horse was doing a 50 miler endurance race and wieghed in the high 700 pound range. I crossed the finish line 1st
Ride him and the heck with how tall you look
Have fun

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are sturdy and you are not that heavy
I would ride him as much as you like
With gear I have weighed in at 220 to make heavy weight and the horse was doing a 50 miler endurance race and wieghed in the high 700 pound range. I crossed the finish line 1st
Ride him and the heck with how tall you look
Have fun
Gawd dang I appreciate this and everything else from ya'll here, I think we're probably gonna have to put this to a vote and it's probably something like YAY 2-3 and NEIGH 4-5?

·
Registered
34 Posts
A little odd looking to some, but I don't think you're too big- you don't look too heavy either (though that depends on the horse's weight). Balancing may be a little more challenging, maybe not. The camera is also angled from above and might make you look even bigger.

Doesn't look much different to me than the hundreds of tall cowboys out there riding their short Quarter Horses, as well as the many tall rider/short horse combinations seen at Paso Fino and Gypsy shows. Check him frequently for soreness or pain as with any other horse, check that your saddle isn't too long, and have fun!

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Another way to think of it:
If you're at 26% of the pony's weight with the saddle, you're similar to a 230 lb rider with a 30 lb saddle riding a 1,000 lb horse. That's something not uncommon at all.

There are professional riders like Tim McQuay and Shawn Ferrida who ride with ratios at least like that, and I don't think it is necessarily correct to discourage people from riding ponies when it is obviously possible to have athletic horses performing soundly while carrying weight like that.
Especially considering that ponies tend to be sturdy with shorter legs and wide hooves, which makes them more likely to carry weight without issues.

It seems odd to me that some of the high level sports have large riders on small horses, but yet it is discouraged for the average, less intense rider.

Polo

Mongolian Endurance race

Iceland horse trekking

Cutting

Steer Wrestling

I've read about adults online who do dressage, jumping and endurance with their Welsh ponies.

·
Registered
16,600 Posts
I don't think you're all that much too big, though you might find yourself tipping over forward because of how much higher your center of gravity is than the pony's. As long as you're a fit, balanced rider, I don't see a problem with it on an occasional basis. I don't think riding him daily would be comfortable for either one of you. Someone else suggested driving or ponying him off of your other horse, those are both good suggestions and fun to do. So if he starts acting touchy in his back, and that's something I'd be looking for then maybe try one or both of those suggestions.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
You haven't mentioned his age. To me, that is also relevant information, as is an estimated weight.

We have a 13hh pony ridden by my daughter, who weighs in at 135 and is about 5'4" (I thought she was lighter than that because she looks thin, but the scale doesn't lie). Her saddle is light, no more than 10 lbs. The issue is that this is a young pony who needs training so someone has to ride her until we know she is safe for a young rider. I've ridden her as well (I'm 5' and 125 lbs).

Our pony is 4 and has filled out quite a bit this year. She's probably 700 lbs so technically, my daughter is right on the line. But again, someone has to train this pony, and we don't have another option so we keep rides short and relatively easy. She has not shown any indication of pain or discomfort and really has a bond with my daughter so doesn't seem to mind being ridden by her.

That being said, if your pony is young like ours, you'll want to be extra careful. Those bones are not done growing and you can cause damage. If your pony is over 6, but not a senior, then it might be ok, but I do agree that your weight may be just a little much for the pony, depending on your pony's estimated weight. Perhaps let the pony's weight and age be your guide here.

Here's our girl ridden by my daughter at a show (we also want her to have show experience). I think they seem in balance (my daughter is an excellent rider) and not too disproportionate, but I'd say they're right on the line of what a pony this size should carry. I will add that she is a Newfoundland pony, and this is a very sturdy breed that was used extensively as a working pony so they generally have the ability to do that.

Horse Helmet Equestrian helmet English pleasure Vertebrate

·
Super Moderator
18,132 Posts
@RoadRider is very accurate in his comment... "Nothing matters but what you think. You want to ride him then do itHe will tell you if he doesn't like it"
He will tell you , but will you listen....:unsure:

I did read again what everyone has contributed as opinion....
Horse Plant Water Working animal Grass

I think what bothers me most is what you look like astride AND because of what it means potentially to that animals back and kidneys...
When you expand your original picture from the first post it clearly shows you are stuffed in a to small saddle with the appearance of sitting on the cantle....and that is just not good for the animal.
The saddle is to spread your weight over a larger surface area...
Your sitting what appears heavily on the cantle, your knees protruding past the saddle flaps tells you are concentrating your weight not well nor imo a good structural location...

Someone showed a bunch of pictures of some large adult framed riders astride smaller animals. I think the thing many are missing is "excellent riders" and few of us are that in reality. That "excellent" makes a huge difference to a animal when you compliment them and stay out of their way physically and not hamper their bodies best way of travel.
I rode for a champion reining trainer....he stood 6'3", not sure what he weighed but he was skinny as a bean-pole... He rode all his animals in training but none were ridden for more than 20 minutes max by him..and in excellently fitting saddles they rode. And there were some issues of a sore hind-end/loin area that the animals needed rested for if they were not up to the rigors of being ridden and using them and the riders weight they carried.. We ponied a lot of animals when they arrived to get them conditioned and better in-shape and we ponied everyday in or out to the training ground also working on stamina and muscle development and maintaining of it.
To do what you refer to doing....sorry, your picture says not with you astride at your height and a weight you must be since you are not emaciated, nor the way you fit to that saddle and how you sit it.

It is your pony and your decision to do as you wish, how you wish and when you wish.
I advocate for the animal and say your frame and weight are to much for this pony to carry for anything more than a few minutes of time and not doing anything more strenuous than walk, very occasionally.
It is not the today you will see, but it is what you will do over time and affect the ponies future health which is my great concern.
Since you show you now have a appropriate sized animal much more able to carry you and do your bidding I do not understand why to pony the little one or walk/jog for you to both have a good cardio and physical exercise is not considered... However, great care will be needed since stride length and exertion level is going to be so much more for the little one ponied compared to your large mount you also showed. At a walk from the horse your pony will nearly be trotting or will be trotting, quite a difference in workout intensity.

I advocate for the animal though. NO, you truly are more than that pony should carry because of where the weight distribution shall be...and bareback would be worse.
My son is 6'2" in his boots and about the weight you mention, maybe a bit less... There is no way he would be riding that small a animal, period. For more reasons than mentioned it would not be happening....

The choice is yours. So are the outcomes negative if it arrives you can know the reason is looking you in a mirror. 😐

What also sticks in my head is "Because you can does not mean you should...." :cautious:
🐴....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts