• Yes it will effect her

• No you look fine :)

• IDK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flicka is 14.2 hands and I’m 5,8ft and weigh at 65kg. Her approx weight is 425kg, and I think she can carry me no problem. (because she’s quirky and if she didn’t like something she’d let me know) But I am still concerned for her well being and I think I may be too tall. Anyone else think that? I don’t want to damage her back long Term at such a young age (5 1/2 years.)
Horse Plant Tree Halter Working animal

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my opinion you look fine, you seem very slim and definitely not too tall. If you own this horse, I would make sure she is muscular enough to carry a person around comfortably (the picture isn't very clear, but she seems a bit 'puppy' in this image) and that the saddle fits her well / is supported by the right pad. I'm not familiar with stock saddles and the pads that go with them, but I do wonder if this is the right setup for her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my opinion you look fine, you seem very slim and definitely not too tall. If you own this horse, I would make sure she is muscular enough to carry a person around comfortably (the picture isn't very clear, but she seems a bit 'puppy' in this image) and that the saddle fits her well / is supported by the right pad. I'm not familiar with stock saddles and the pads that go with them, but I do wonder if this is the right setup for her.
Yeah she is very new to everything and doesn’t have much muscle (she hasn’t really been exercised properly or much) so she does look ‘puppy’ like. She will gain more muscle as we work together more. She is my horse and the saddle is a alright size but I’m trying to get an English saddle that fits her better. Thanks for your opinion! It helps a lot with my insecurity about being too big!

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
You are about 145 lbs & 5'8". I'm 10-15 lbs heavier and the same height. Your horse's weight estimated at 900-950 lbs. Compared to Bandit (15.0 & 850-ish), your horse is a couple inches shorter and about 75 lbs heavier...stockier than Bandit. So I'm heavier than you riding a lighter horse. This is Bandit & me (I'm trying to get him to edge over to his right even though we're in a turn to the left, so a bit awkward but you can see he isn't a stocky fellow):
So...based on 6 years of riding Bandit? You're fine! I used to weigh 185 (40 lbs more than you) and Bandit wasn't bothered by my weight. Not surprising since his previous owner used him for running 10-15 mile legs in relay races. The owner weighed 230+ and for "exercise", a friend who weighed "at least 265 in his socks" would run Bandit! We're talking 300 lbs with tack on a horse the vet estimated at 790 when he arrived here! (38%) That WAS too much and Bandit learned to brace his back like an I-beam. It took months for him to start trusting me with his back and a year before he finally gave up bracing. But - important - I've seen no indication it did any damage to his back.

Much of our riding is in places like here:
We regularly leave the trails and strike out across the desert. I've seen no sign he has any balance issues with me. He scrambles up and down and across hills fine. The washes (dry stream beds) have lots of rocks to make things unstable and he doesn't mind. On rough terrain I do let him pick his own gait and decide how he wants to handle it. And the land around here obviously isn't suited for jumping, so that is never an issue. So...don't worry and enjoy your horse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are about 145 lbs & 5'8". I'm 10-15 lbs heavier and the same height. Your horse's weight estimated at 900-950 lbs. Compared to Bandit (15.0 & 850-ish), your horse is a couple inches shorter and about 75 lbs heavier...stockier than Bandit. So I'm heavier than you riding a lighter horse. This is Bandit & me (I'm trying to get him to edge over to his right even though we're in a turn to the left, so a bit awkward but you can see he isn't a stocky fellow):
So...based on 6 years of riding Bandit? You're fine! I used to weigh 185 (40 lbs more than you) and Bandit wasn't bothered by my weight. Not surprising since his previous owner used him for running 10-15 mile legs in relay races. The owner weighed 230+ and for "exercise", a friend who weighed "at least 265 in his socks" would run Bandit! We're talking 300 lbs with tack on a horse the vet estimated at 790 when he arrived here! (38%) That WAS too much and Bandit learned to brace his back like an I-beam. It took months for him to start trusting me with his back and a year before he finally gave up bracing. But - important - I've seen no indication it did any damage to his back.

Much of our riding is in places like here:
We regularly leave the trails and strike out across the desert. I've seen no sign he has any balance issues with me. He scrambles up and down and across hills fine. The washes (dry stream beds) have lots of rocks to make things unstable and he doesn't mind. On rough terrain I do let him pick his own gait and decide how he wants to handle it. And the land around here obviously isn't suited for jumping, so that is never an issue. So...don't worry and enjoy your horse.
You and Bandit are a perfect pair! Thank you for telling me all this! It also helped me a lot!

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Another one for 'you're fine'. Weightwise. And heightwise, depending on whether you're going to be joining any clubs/comps, of which the 'fashion' of riding bigger horses will matter to you.

As for whether or not you might hurt your horse, it's not all down to weight though & I echo Dutch Juniper's comments. Just because horses CAN/DO cope with things, doesn't make it good for them. In addition to ensuring she is fit enough BEFORE you do a lot on her back, and ensuring the saddle is well fitting & comfortable for her - or ride bareback until you have one that fits... If she's only 5.5yo, she is nearly but not fully mature yet, so that's another reason to take it a bit easy as yet. And depends what you're doing on her - if for eg. you're wanting to do trails & low-level dressage with her, she will do that far easier than if you want to do endurance, barrel racing, jumping, etc. And also depends on what sort of rider you are - if you're a well balanced, fluid seat, that will be easier than if you're a sack of spuds.

Oh & I just have to comment on your dad's(?) expression... he doesn't like horses, or having his picture taken?? :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another one for 'you're fine'. Weightwise. And heightwise, depending on whether you're going to be joining any clubs/comps, of which the 'fashion' of riding bigger horses will matter to you.

As for whether or not you might hurt your horse, it's not all down to weight though & I echo Dutch Juniper's comments. Just because horses CAN/DO cope with things, doesn't make it good for them. In addition to ensuring she is fit enough BEFORE you do a lot on her back, and ensuring the saddle is well fitting & comfortable for her - or ride bareback until you have one that fits... If she's only 5.5yo, she is nearly but not fully mature yet, so that's another reason to take it a bit easy as yet. And depends what you're doing on her - if for eg. you're wanting to do trails & low-level dressage with her, she will do that far easier than if you want to do endurance, barrel racing, jumping, etc. And also depends on what sort of rider you are - if you're a well balanced, fluid seat, that will be easier than if you're a sack of spuds.

Oh & I just have to comment on your dad's(?) expression... he doesn't like horses, or having his picture taken?? :lol:
I decided that I was only gonna do things like trail rides until I’m more confident and she is fully developed, I also decided I’m gonna be more focused on building muscle such as a better top line to give her time to be stronger and fully develop. Of course it’s only gonna be simple excercises (I can not for the life of me spell that so ignore it.) Also my Dad like horses, but I think the sun could of been in his eyes, but I just think he’s unamused because he had to walk her around to test the saddle because I didn’t have a bridle yet. (I do now.) Poor Dad🤣

(Thanks for giving all this knowledge so I know to relax with her and not do anything too demanding like jumping) she’s still green anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Flicka is 14.2 hands and I’m 5,8ft and weigh at 65kg. Her approx weight is 425kg, and I think she can carry me no problem. (because she’s quirky and if she didn’t like something she’d let me know) But I am still concerned for her well being and I think I may be too tall. Anyone else think that? I don’t want to damage her back long Term at such a young age (5 1/2 years.)
View attachment 1115896
You look fine the stirrups look pretty long on you in my opinion so it could help if you shorten them but if you like long stirrups than I'm not going to tell you what to do as long as you and the horse are feeling comfortable.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't mean to insult you, but your mare is considerably shorter than 14.2 hands. She appears (to me) to be more like 13 hands.
The reason I say that is I am VERY familiar with 14.2 hand horses. And with 15 hand horses. If your mare was 14.2, she would only be 2 inches short of 15 hands.
My current stallion is 15 hands, and he is a LOT larger than your little mare.
My late stallion was 14.2, and a lot bigger than your mare.

As to "do you look ok", yes! Don't be so hung up on height. Enjoy your mare. She looks like a sweetie!

If you wish, I can post pics of 14.2 hands, and 15 hands for you to see the difference.

·
Registered
15ish hh chestnut paint mare named Dot (aka dippin’ dot) love of my life 💕
56 Posts
View attachment 1115896
I’m 5’7 and I can ride a 15 hh with no issue, so I say just watch her back and how sore she is after rides and if she seems fine then she probably is!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You look fine the stirrups look pretty long on you in my opinion so it could help if you shorten them but if you like long stirrups than I'm not going to tell you what to do as long as you and the horse are feeling comfortable.
I didn’t realise the first time I was on but I have shortened the stirrups now so all is good 👍🏼

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't mean to insult you, but your mare is considerably shorter than 14.2 hands. She appears (to me) to be more like 13 hands.
The reason I say that is I am VERY familiar with 14.2 hand horses. And with 15 hand horses. If your mare was 14.2, she would only be 2 inches short of 15 hands.
My current stallion is 15 hands, and he is a LOT larger than your little mare.
My late stallion was 14.2, and a lot bigger than your mare.

As to "do you look ok", yes! Don't be so hung up on height. Enjoy your mare. She looks like a sweetie!

If you wish, I can post pics of 14.2 hands, and 15 hands for you to see the difference.
I did measure her one time and it said she was 14.2 but I may measure her again just to double check. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts