The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found an amazing Eventing Coach, and I am so pleased with what I have obtained from her in the only 2 lessons that I have had with her thus far.

I've told only a few how we met, but I have to say I am very thankful for what I've recieved and am super excited with where she is taking me!

She is a Prelim/Advanced Eventer in the area, who has accomplished so much. Her Coach is a 3 Star Eventer in our area, who is a phenom herself.

Anyways, I just had my 2nd lesson with her yesterday and I am very impressed with the results! I was shown the two different Two Points, which I had no idea even existed.

The Passive Two Point, which is the typical two point we see in most photos that we look at of Horse/Riders over a fence. The one with the butt shoved back and the hip angle closed and just hovering there, being a passanger instead of a working memeber of the team.

And the Functional Two Point, where your seat isn't pushed back, but your tail bone is tucked under you slightly, activating your core. Your chest is opened where you are lifting your heart, hip angle not so closed, and the most important, your lower legs are continuing to lift your horses back up into you - yes - even when over the fence.

I was taught, to get your horse to the base of the fence as functional as you can, and at the take off point just stop riding and stay out of your horses way. I did this for years - until I was shown different yesterday.

Now it isnt that much of a big difference - it's just one is passive and just being there, and the other is remaining functional and active.

What I was doing incorrectly, because it was what I was taught, was I would just stop riding. I would say "ok, I got you here, now you do the rest" and I'd just become a passanger at the point of take off. I was incorrect.

I was shown, even when over the fence, to remain active. Active being, to lift your horses back up into your seat with your lower leg. Like saying "Come Here"

The difference bewteen the two is like night and day for me, now that I've been shown. Going over the fence in the Typical Passive Two Point, Nelson would be flat and more "heavy" and while jumping in the Functional Two Point, Nelson would remain round and "Light" on the landing. Even our depart from the fence was a big different.

I think you'd have to feel it for yourself to understand the difference.

I was also shown how to do a Half Halt while up in the Functional Two Point - which was cool. I would always do a half halt with my seat in the saddle. Same idea, but you do it while up in your two point.

Cool stuff! And man, does she make you work your butt off! I am sweating within 5 minutes of our lesson. I had to take quite a few breaks just to beable to catch my breath. I never had a coach do that with me.

I sure do love my 1 on 1 lessons! I know that she's the one who'll help me advance and move forward and onward with my Eventing Goals!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I love those lessons, it's like DING light bulb went off in the noggin! lol!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL - Ding Ding Goes The Noggin! Sorry, that tune just popped in my head...the ol' tune "Ding Ding Ding Goes the Trolly"

It was a great lesson! I ask her 1,001 questions too. LOL, even about SMB's - so PPTHPTHPTPH @ U.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Hahaha, you always make me laugh(which I needed today! :p)

What did she say about SMBs?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HA HA! She says she LOVES them and uses them in all her comps. She just did a clinic with Jim Graham and he praises them highly as well. Her Coach, uses them in comps as well!

So NEENER NEENER NEENER PTHPHPTPHT *Shakes butt*

(_!_) (_/_) (_!_) (_\_) (_!_) (_/_) (_!_)

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am glad you found a great Coach Chingaz! That's great! Beau, I am sure you wont know my Coach :) Glad your Coach makes you work as hard as mine! At least I know I'm not the only one left huffin' and puffin'.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That is AWESOME!! That is so cool about the functional 2 point I will have to integrate this into my lessons...it makes so much sense. There's only so much a trainer can teach you...only to the extent of their own experiences. I believe every trainer teaches you something new and different and it's awesome when you find one that has the knowledge to match the level you are riding and learning to move you to the next level and so quickly. You must be so excited!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
HA HA! She says she LOVES them and uses them in all her comps. She just did a clinic with Jim Graham and he praises them highly as well. Her Coach, uses them in comps as well!

So NEENER NEENER NEENER PTHPHPTPHT *Shakes butt*

(_!_) (_/_) (_!_) (_\_) (_!_) (_/_) (_!_)
Haha, you...... have left me speachless! lol! Jim Graham is an AMAZING clinictian!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I am glad you found a great Coach Chingaz! That's great! Beau, I am sure you wont know my Coach :) Glad your Coach makes you work as hard as mine! At least I know I'm not the only one left huffin' and puffin'.
:cry: My coach was to far away in the end. They changed address.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coffeemama, I am glad that I made sense enough for you to understand my description of the "Functional Two Point"! Give it a whirl, when done correctly, you'll see and feel the difference.

It took me the majority of the time to get it right, but then when the light bulb came on, it make perfect sense.

Stormy, Jim is coming in March to give a 2 day clinic. The farm that will be hosting him, is an hour away. The clinic is $325 for a 2 day lesson with him, and that incudes a stall for the night.

I figure, I can save pennies from now till then to beable to do it. Problem is, I do not have my own truck or trailer to haul Nelson - so I'd have to depend on someone else to get us there, and that is such an inconvenience.

Chingaz, I am so sorry to hear the news :( Just stick to what Eventerdrew said, and you'll get there. *Hugs*

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
MIE,
Good for you! How exciting to get started with a new coach and have such passion for what your learning.
I am not to that point yet, but have had some really great lessons this week.
Good for you!
:)
HP

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
MIE- DEF try to go! He is an amazing speaker, has GREAT SJ exercises, and really focuses on getting your horse to come up under you, and being able to shorten and lengthan and all that jazz while you are up in galloping position or in half seat. He really is great!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Chingaz, I am so sorry to hear the news :( Just stick to what Eventerdrew said, and you'll get there. *Hugs*
Thanks MIE, sorry to steal your thread but, I found a friend, who is an eventer who is willing to teach me. Shes knows her stuff to. So hopefully I'll finally have someone to help.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
That's awesome MIE!

"I had to take quite a few breaks just to beable to catch my breath. I never had a coach do that with me. "

^ Oh god do I know what you're talking about. I need at least two "omg i'm dying, hold on a second" breaks during the winter, and MUCH more during the summer, ha ha. Even when I use my inhaler before my ride. XD

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL! It was rough! But I need it, especially for Eventing because I really do need to be in just as good of condition as Nelson *meaning, heart and lung capacity and stamina*

I have to do exercises in the saddle as well - and oh my gosh! KILLER!

1) While in the saddle, start with your right leg and kick it back 50 times. Meaning, bend your knee push your foot back towards your horses butt. Then move to your left leg.

OUCH! My right butt cheek, and the muscles over my hip, screamed bloody murder, and I had quite a few muscle spasims at first.

2) While in the saddle, start with your right leg, and lift it directly off of your horses side in an outward motion. Almost like you are swinging your legs out to kick your horses side for not listening to your aids. Just during this one, you are not touching your horses side on the downard motion. Now do it on your left side.

50x each side.

Again - OUCH!

3) While in the saddle lift both knees up to your chest. Do this 50 times.

Eesh....she says she has more...not looking forward to that one.

OH! And I have to do 50 sit up's a night at home. That's my "homework"

~~~~

I need at least two "omg i'm dying, hold on a second" breaks
lol, I thought I was doing it inconspicuously. I would slow down to a walk and start asking her questions. LOL. And then I would start talking to extend the answers to my questions.

She eventually caught on.

Dang. >.<
MIE,
Good for you! How exciting to get started with a new coach and have such passion for what your learning.
I am not to that point yet, but have had some really great lessons this week.
Good for you!
:)
HP
Thanks Darling! You'll get there, and when you do, you'll want more and more and more. I am super excited for when your mare gets home! I cannot wait to see and hear about her progress.
MIE- DEF try to go! He is an amazing speaker, has GREAT SJ exercises, and really focuses on getting your horse to come up under you, and being able to shorten and lengthan and all that jazz while you are up in galloping position or in half seat. He really is great!
Alright! Great to hear! I will try to get to that point financially and see if I can find a ride. I am sure that there are local Pony Clubbers who'll attend, I am sure I can get a ride with one of them.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yay for awesome trainers! They deserve like... medals of honor.

Not having a truck or trailer is a huge hassle (actually so is not having a license xD). It really limits (at least me) who you can train with. It'd be so nice to board somewhere close by and trailer out for lessons - so many people aren't willing to travel :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.