The Horse Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I am the owner of a nice little haflinger poney who lives a pasture. The other week, she suffered a severe anaphylactic shock. She recieved CCS and epinephrin and is now back on her feet, but I am very worried about it reoccuring. The vet determined it most probably was a reaction to an insect bite (she had a bug bite in her naustril -- the only part of her face not covered by a mask). I am looking for options to reduce exposure.

I am a doctor and I was skeptical when my vet advised chinese medicine for prevention (even though I may very well be wrong, I'd rather go another, more sciency, way). I know there are tests for determining allergens in humans, but he seemed to suggest that there was none to decipher which kind of insect caused the allergy. Anyways, I assumed there probably was less insects in altitude and that she'd maybe be better there. My vet (kind of) agreed, but said she should be at 1'000m at least for it to (maybe?) make a difference.

Do any of you know if this is accurate and at which altitude she'd have less risk? I realise I know nothing about insects in altitude and I'm acting exclusively by instinct here. I also thought of covering her, but she'll never be entirely netted anyways... Is anybody aware of a good option for this kind of situation? Did anybody have their horses tested for allergens? Does anybody know if there is a high rate of false positive with these tests? Did anybody have allergic horses that they desensitized to insect bites? With what efficacy?

I'm keeping CCS with me at all times now, just in case, but that can't be a good long term plan...

Thanks for your help

Tessa and A
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top