The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about trying out aniseed. Is there any "special" requirements for feeding (like flax)?

I know that star anise is toxic, don't worry.

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
I just wonder with the daily, all the questions of amount of this, that and many more something else if you are administering all of this...why?
Is your horse experiencing poor appetite, colic episodes, lice or scabies {ick}....
Anise can increase libido and can also help calm a animal...
Has good and bad properties you can stir up in a animal so do be careful.
Research is great...but be cautious in what you give your horse in actuality.
Combinations of certain "herbs" vitamins, minerals and amino acids might not work favorably but create health issues too..

Oh... combined with some other herbs, anise can be used for bug repellent and as a "topical treatment" to certain injuries.
There are no pharmacological studies done per se like when a new drug is introduced, just paid for compilation of materials, all favorable of course, so do be wary of what you are doing and in dosage amounts.
"Herb" remedies can work great..but it takes a very skilled person to figure out exacting amounts fed for each individual animal especially when you are combining feed-stuffs fed which can throw off potency or compound effect positive/negative....
I would be very cautious using "generic" dosage information obtained from any internet source.
:runninghorse2:....
jmo...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I too, have been wondering as HLG has - with horses and nutrition, I firmly believe less is more.

If your horse all of a sudden decided he didn't like eating something, and you are feeding this that and the other thing, it's going to be tough to find out what he/she doesn't like. Same for if something starts upsetting her stomach, causing colic episodes, changing her demeanor...it'd be hard to figure out what is doing it, or even what combination of things is doing it.

I would look for one product that encompasses all of the nutritional values that your horse needs - you can get your hay tested and a custom supplement made via HorseTech. If you want additional products, like colic preventives/hoof care/etc, they also can add that stuff in too. If your horse needs more calories to maintain weight, you can start by adding more hay, then you can look into additional feeds, whether it be beet pulp/alfalfa pellets/senior feed/etc.

And after all of the basics are covered, then I would considering adding more - whether a specialized amino acid product, a magnesium calming product, a preventative of colic, etc etc, then that's when I would consider more.

Reactions: walkinthewalk

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Anise (oil) is a flavoring used in small amounts in some feeds or supplements to encourage appetite and since many like the flavor a good way to get something they won't eat down the hatch is to mix with something like calf manna which uses that as a flavoring.

I too wonder if you are micromanaging your horse into oblivion.

Anise (seed) is an herb that can be beneficial for certain conditions but like all medicinal you can't just willy nilly start adding a pinch of this and a pound of that without the risk of harm.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I know that anise is used in some horse feeds and such but I've never heard of star anise being given to horses. They are two completely different plants.

Also chinese star anise is edible and japanese star anise is toxic (even though they are in the same plant family) and it's really hard to tell the difference between those two. You would have to obtain chinese star anise from a reputable source to make sure that japanese star anise is not mixed in with it which sometimes happens.

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
I have trouble taking a website serious when they put the image of seed from one plant in the description for another and don't use scientific names to distinguish and positively identify what you (g) are referring to.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
@horselovinguy and @ClearDonkey. Thank you:). All these daily questions, bordering on non-sensical are precisely why I’ve stayed out of the threads.

My best suggestion is for the OP to spend the money on an equine nutrition course from a credible source such as a university and forget about all of these additives until the basics have been imbedded in the brain — by means of learning thru a credible source —

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Is there any "special" requirements for feeding (like flax)?
I was confused about the comment above.

I've been feeding flax for about a year and wasn't aware of any "special" requirements. I mean, I know it is high in phosphorous and low in calcium, but that goes for any grain. You can get it with the balance corrected (like I assume Omega Horseshine does) or if you feed a lot of alfalfa like most people in AZ do, just consider the flax adding some phosphorous to your high calcium diet.

But I don't even know if that's what the OP means. I have never heard of any special requirements for feeding flax. And I research the heck out of things before I feed them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts