The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is not free like the black one, and I would have to ship her from VA, but what do you guys think? I have several people who have gotten good horses from these guys.

"2 y.o.filly is named Fairy Magic, which reflects her dam's name Fairest Moment (who is a real beauty of about 14.2 linebred to the very famous Russian stallion *Moment). She was a first foal and a late foal (9/13/10), tiny but nice, so the name "Fairy" seemed appropriate. Photo #1 is her at a couple weeks old with dam. Photo #2 is her sire Syndicat, our superb 8 y.o. stallion who combines French, Russian, and Crabbet lines. Photos #3 and #4 were taken last June at 9 months (the two front stockings and long blaze). I just went out today and grabbed some shots of her with her 8 buddies. She is bold and feisty, and usually leads the pack storming up the hill. She is a hand shorter than several, but is definitely a leader."

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is...dizzy...so...many...chestnuts.... O.O

I won't claim to be an expert on confo... But nothing glaringly stands out to me as wrong. She's cute!
Heh- yeah. He has a color theme going for sure. I thought it was a joke when he told me it was "the chestnut with a long blaze" , and they were all chestnuts.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
What stands out the most to me is her withers :shock: she seems to have gotten her sire's withers. If you ever want to do bareback riding, she would not be a good candidate. What plans do you have for her?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I am searching for a potentially competitive endurance horse. I want to retire my gelding by the time he is 20.
She looks well built for it. Worth seeing in person to know what her temperament is like to see if she is a personality fit :wink:

I see that herd and all I can think of is how hard it is to tell one apart from another. So many that look alike :shock:

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Her pedigree on her sire side is fairly interesting. Like most "backyard bred" Arabs (no offense meant), all the champions in her pedigree are mostly three or more generations back. I'll actually be the first to admit I'm not super familiar with a lot of the horses on her sire side - Russian bloodlines are probably what I am the least knowledgeable about. I'm familiar with the horses five generations back like Comet, Aswan, Amurath Sahib, etc. but that really doesn't help you at all - EVERY Arabian horse in existence has those types of horses far far back, they practically founded the modern breed.

I couldn't find her dam on All Breed, and of course *Moment is a good horse but they're pretty vague about exactly where he fits into her pedigree. It doesn't sound like he's her sire, and again, if he's three or more generations back, it really doesn't mean a thing.

The photos posted are difficult to critique, I like the conformation of her sire but quite frankly, he's nothing I would have ever kept as a stud especially since he's done less then nothing in his life to earn his testicles. Her dam is difficult to judge, the photo is a bad one and Arabian broodmares ALWAYS seem to look haggard and awkward. You'll find photos of the famous Moniet el Nefous and I swear, if you didn't know who she was, you'd almost say she shouldn't be bred!

The filly looks well built, her legs look fairly straight. Her wither is set well back which is a really good sign, particularly amongst Arabs. It allows for a freer moving shoulder, a more well sprung ribcage and overall, better strength. Clearly inherited from her sire, along with his extremely short back. I would say her sire is very well suited to endurance. She appears to have long pasterns which concern me, but she's also young and awkward so they may not be as long as they appear.

Overall, I would say she appears to be a decently bred, fairly stout Arab who would do good as a trail horse or perhaps light endurance horse. I wouldn't personally pay much for her, based on conformation and pedigree alone she's not "spectacular". Again, the photos make it hard to determine, but the overall tone of the ad itself - the way they try to promote her bloodlines, the very poor photos of dirty horses and her pedigree indicates to me the people trying to sell her are trying to make her appear "more then she is" either because they know she's just a pet bred horse or are in denial about the fact that nothing about her screams "next champion".

She would fetch under $1000 where I live. Maybe $800 if she's lucky. Is she registered?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is an Asgard filly, are they backyard breeders? They are fairly well renouned in my endurance circles. It never occurred to me that she would not be registered, but I cannot find her, or her dam either. I will have to ask them. Her site is Statistic.

pedigree

They are asking 1500, which I am more than willing to pay for the right horse. I would also have to have her shipped to me, so I have to take that into account with regards to her price.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
It says her sire is Syndicat...

When I use the term backyard breeder, I never mean disrespect by it. I don't mean "some idiot yokel breeding mutts". There are many backyard breeders I respect. To me, the term means "breeding medium to low grade horses." It doesn't mean they're garbage horses, it means they're "working class" horses that are not ever likely to make it into a National show ring like an Arab filly selling for $100,000 at birth because both her sire and dam and every other horse in her pedigree is also a National champion.

Just the fact that they're standing a stud with no credentials, and not very impressive parents himself with a whole herd of muddy awkward youngsters who haven't been groomed or clipped or bathed tends to put them into that "backyard breeder" category for me. They may be breeding some cute registered horses, but a $1500 price tag speaks for itself.

Depending on your area, I would say this may be a good price for her. I would expect her to be registered for that price though.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I'm in VA, and registered, performance bred youngsters from good bloodlines are going for $1,500-$3,500. More of course, if they've actually won some classes in a recognized breed show. Podunk, local shows don't count.

There's nothing about any of those horses that impress me, nor justify the $1,500 price tag. As Macabre stated, they're low to medium grade Arabians. Certainly not show bred animals, and at 2 y/o that filly has done nothing.

The fact that they're touting horses 3 to 5 generations back in her pedigree tell me they've done absolutely nothing with the horses they're breeding, except breeding them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah- lol- when you say backyard breeder, I picture someone like me breeding my mare. I must have messed up somewhere on her sire. My apologies. I am never going to show... I simply don't know how to ride like that. I just have the opportunity to get more serious about my endurance, so I would like to get something with potential. Thank you so much.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Yeah, Statistic would have been a slightly more impressive sire, but unfortunately, Syndicat is exactly as Speed Racer described.

We have a place here that breeds registerable purebred and half-bred Arabs for pet purposes. Nothing very impressive, a bunch of Arab studs that do nothing but breed but have decent conformation and mostly endurance backgrounds. I do tip my hat to them because they keep a few foals to train up and show, and they're basically proving that their stock is decent and holds up under work. They have some lovely Paint/Arab/Draft crosses that are in the Dressage ring and doing well. You can get a weanling/yearling/untrained 2 year old from them for $800 and they basically remind me exactly of this operation.

I think you could get a filly of her quality for cheaper, but in the end it really is what you're willing to pay! Around here, $800 is the going rate for anything half decently bred and is registerable (but not yet registered).

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you're looking to get serious about endurance I am thinking you can find a horse at the age of 3/4 for the same price that has been started/has miles on it. Just throwing it out there.
You would be waiting 3 years to compete in endurance with this filly.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Without registration papers you have nothing to denote her breeding. To me, any responsible breeder will not have a foal coming that late in the season. They often don't seem to do as well.The only way to verify if her breeding is who the seller claims is thro a DNA test. This works IF both mare and stallion have been DNA'd.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Without registration papers you have nothing to denote her breeding. To me, any responsible breeder will not have a foal coming that late in the season. They often don't seem to do as well.The only way to verify if her breeding is who the seller claims is thro a DNA test. This works IF both mare and stallion have been DNA'd.

I won't even consider getting her if she is not registered. No offense to grade horses... I just won't ship one across the country. I asked him about registration. I am waiting back for an answer. It would be odd if he was not breeding registered Arabs in my mind.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
394 Posts
I like her. She is not very typy, and certainly not something I would buy to breed or show (note-given current trends in the breed, that is NOT a slam), but she appears to be pretty correct as far as her legs go. She has a nice shoulder and hip (as does her sire), which is often lacking in Arabs. Nice short back, overall nicely balanced. I think she will mature into a very elegant "useful" sort of mare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.