The Horse Forum banner

another bit thread

1066 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  WABRLRACER
I've been given the use of a really nice QH mare who HAS been really well trained but they didn't use her for 6 years, now she is quite stubborn and acts a bit silly sometimes. They gave me a tom thumb to use on her but I really don't like it, so I was going to train her in a snaffle. The only thing is, I'm a little nervous that she will run away on me because she is VERY strong and wants to run a lot. She neck reins, in fact she ONLY neck reins, and gets kinda ****y when you direct rein her, so I'm wondering how she would react to a one rein stop. I was just wondering, would it be best to try her in the snaffle or should I just keep going in the tom thumb? If I can get her working normally in a tom thumb then should I move down? I really hate using anything harsher than a snaffle but she's been ridden like that for so long and I'm nervous :?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
742 Posts
I think you should at least try a snaffle. Just make sure you are working with bumps and tugs not long pulls. The more constant pressure you put on the reins the more likely the horse is to just brace against the bit and ignore you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the one rein stop. The horse has to follow it's nose and as long as you get her head pulled around she'll have to stop going forward. You can also try lunging her before you ride to get rid of a little excess energy if you're concerned about her running off with you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.