The Horse Forum banner

another bit thread

1063 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  WABRLRACER
I've been given the use of a really nice QH mare who HAS been really well trained but they didn't use her for 6 years, now she is quite stubborn and acts a bit silly sometimes. They gave me a tom thumb to use on her but I really don't like it, so I was going to train her in a snaffle. The only thing is, I'm a little nervous that she will run away on me because she is VERY strong and wants to run a lot. She neck reins, in fact she ONLY neck reins, and gets kinda ****y when you direct rein her, so I'm wondering how she would react to a one rein stop. I was just wondering, would it be best to try her in the snaffle or should I just keep going in the tom thumb? If I can get her working normally in a tom thumb then should I move down? I really hate using anything harsher than a snaffle but she's been ridden like that for so long and I'm nervous :?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
A tom thumb is really not a "harsh" bit to begin with... My mare personally hated a snaffle at first and I broke her in a tom thumb b/c it was the only thing she liked. If you want to try a plain snaffle I'd work with the horse on the ground 1st while it's wearing it... judge your horse's reaction and move on from there.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.