The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and Robbie have been having fantastic leassons lately and I really think it's because my position has become stronger over fences.
We are jumping around a solid 3'3 and I wanted to get a critique on my position (and Robbie's jumping form) to see if I have improved any!
From previous critiques you guys have mentioned that I should have my toes turned in over the fences and that I not lay on his neck so much. I have been trying really hard to work on those things and maybe get some feedback if I'm on the right track to getting better eq! :] :] Thanks so much!

Here is the video of the lesson:
Login | Facebook

And here are stills from that lesson:

He saved my butt on this one!

·
Registered
40 Posts
HEHE he looks like he has a very round jump! pretty boy. Overall I think your position looks very nice and as said above i think your last photo is your best also.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Very very nice :)
But shouldn't you point your toes instead of out?

Beautiful horse I love his color

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
hes such a cutie !!!

i dont really mind turned out toes....for jumping you use a different part of your leg, so your toes should not be pointed straight forward, but about 45 degrees or a bit less =] i think you guys look really good

·
Registered
224 Posts
One thing I noticed consistently in those stills is I would personally like to see a smidgen more release so your horse can stretch down and properly utilize his back over the jumps. He looks fantastic already, but while his neck is round, his back is rather flat and he's really having to work to his throw his shoulders over the jump.

You look like you pitch with your knees which results in not only your toe turing out, but also you entire lower leg. Like a previous poster said, having you toe turned slightly is not necessarily a bad thing while jumping, but you should continue to have consistent contact with your calf. If you can teach you leg to stretch down and around your horses barrel rather than gripping with your knees, you will also find that you leg will be stronger and quieter (so it wouldn't drop behind you while jumping) and support you upper-body more effectively as you are slightly in front of your horses COB making his job that much more difficult.

Also - watch those piano hands on the flat!

Other than that, you look like a very solid and confident rider and you horse is gorgeous! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
you look really good.
I would just work on giving him a little more release and to help strengthen up your lower leg, some no-stirrup work should help.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys! :] :]

saraequestrian -- Thank you! I agree that my position is good in that picture, I just wished my release was a bit better.

Mare in foal -- Haha, he has a crazy round jump! When I first started riding him I would get jumped out of the saddle over cross-rails! :]

EventersBabe -- :] Thanks! I'm not sure I get what you mean when you say "But shouldn't you point your toes instead of out"? Maybe you could elaborate? :]

gypsygirl -- Hehe, thank you! :] I tend to think he's just a tad bit adorable. See, this is where I get kinda confused..some people say it's okay to have your toes turned out a bit when your jumping, others say straight forward? I find it more comfortable and more effective to point my toes a tad bit out..should I just keep with that?

Jag6201 -- Thank you for the feedback! :] :] I can totally see that I need more release over the fences. He is trying so hard to round over them but I can see that my tight release is restricting him. He does however, peek a rediculous amount over the jumps, so sometimes my realease is fine, others it's way too tight because he looked down do much haha. I agree with everything you said about my leg, I'm trying to do more no-stirrup work to strenthen my lower leg. Hopefully it'll show in the next bunch of pics to be critiqued. :]

·
Banned
629 Posts
So me and Robbie have been having fantastic leassons lately and I really think it's because my position has become stronger over fences.
We are jumping around a solid 3'3 and I wanted to get a critique on my position (and Robbie's jumping form) to see if I have improved any!
From previous critiques you guys have mentioned that I should have my toes turned in over the fences and that I not lay on his neck so much. I have been trying really hard to work on those things and maybe get some feedback if I'm on the right track to getting better eq! :] :] Thanks so much!
Why do you not ask these questions of your instructor? Do you not trust the instruction and feedback you're getting from your instructor, and that's why you feel a need to seek other sources of input? If the former, then our opinions are of no consequence. If the latter, then why have you not switched instructors?

I've not seen the previous photos so have no means of comparison and thus can only comment on what's presented here:

The horse reflects his rider. He hangs his knees and looks down in response to a rider who's balance is too far forward from jumping ahead of the horse and who also allows her eyes to look down. The horse also does not stretch and reach over the jump, because his rider restricts him with a hand that fails to follow.

On a side note: Is that a scarf you are wearing? Please take off whatever you have wrapped around your neck. Wear a turtleneck sweater instead. Should there be an unfortunate accident, I have a very clear visual of you hanging yourself.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why do you not ask these questions of your instructor? Do you not trust the instruction and feedback you're getting from your instructor, and that's why you feel a need to seek other sources of input? If the former, then our opinions are of no consequence. If the latter, then why have you not switched instructors?
Thanks for your repsonse.
Umm....of course I talk to my instructor. Me and her are really close and she has made me a better rider in the 2.5 years I've been with her than my in my whole 10 year riding carrer. She gives me suggestions and input and tells me what I need to improve on, hence why she is a trainer. However, I do like to hear the opinions of others on what I look like. Hence the purpose of a Critique Section. What you are saying doesn't make sense, most of us who post in this critique section have trainers. But we all like to have fresh eyes looking at what we are doing and sharing thier opinion. So I'm not sure what you mean by this statement at all.

The horse reflects his rider. He hangs his knees and looks down in response to a rider who's balance is too far forward from jumping ahead of the horse and who also allows her eyes to look down. The horse also does not stretch and reach over the jump, because his rider restricts him with a hand that fails to follow.
I can see that my release does need some work, but if you read my previous post you would understand that he looks at the jumps a rediculous amount. So sometimes my release is fine, others it's too tight. I'm working on that, but I just never know how much he will peek at a jump or not? Any suggestions?

On a side note: Is that a scarf you are wearing? Please take off whatever you have wrapped around your neck. Wear a turtleneck sweater instead. Should there be an unfortunate accident, I have a very clear visual of you hanging yourself.
I will always and have always worn a scarf when I ride. All the people at my barn where them when they ride and I personally don't see a problem with it. It's highly unlikey that I would get "strangled" by my scarf, it's thin piece of material that will rip. It's like saying "don't wear a helmet because the harness can strangle you" or "don't wear glasses because they can break your nose if you fall". Go to youtube and look up top eq riders hacking... 10 to 1 all of them will be wearing scarves.

·
Banned
629 Posts
I can see that my release does need some work, but if you read my previous post you would understand that he looks at the jumps a rediculous amount. So sometimes my release is fine, others it's too tight. I'm working on that, but I just never know how much he will peek at a jump or not? Any suggestions?
I can only comment on the pictures shown, so what happens at other times is irrelevant.

If you're expecting him to peek, then he will peek, because whether you realize it or not, your lack of confidence in him is going through your body and causing him to peek even more.

He lacks confidence and has probably been over-faced at one time or another. Put the jumps down, work on grids, free jump him over every single kind of jump you can think of and build, and improve your control over his haunches so that if you feel him hesitate you can tell him, 'heck no...go!'

I will always and have always worn a scarf when I ride. All the people at my barn where them when they ride and I personally don't see a problem with it. It's highly unlikey that I would get "strangled" by my scarf, it's thin piece of material that will rip. It's like saying "don't wear a helmet because the harness can strangle you" or "don't wear glasses because they can break your nose if you fall". Go to youtube and look up top eq riders hacking... 10 to 1 all of them will be wearing scarves.
Comparing a helmet strap, or glasses to a scarf is ridiculous. That you don't see that is worrisome.

I don't care what top eq. riders hacking do. It's a stupid, dangerous thing to do while riding, regardless who you are.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Its will be the first when i hear of a scarf accident:) All i can see is mabe a little more release. But you two look like a great tteam! You are doing a great job:) well done.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're expecting him to peek, then he will peek, because whether you realize it or not, your lack of confidence in him is going through your body and causing him to peek even more.

He lacks confidence and has probably been over-faced at one time or another. Put the jumps down, work on grids, free jump him over every single kind of jump you can think of and build, and improve your control over his haunches so that if you feel him hesitate you can tell him, 'heck no...go!'

I do not lack confidence in him whatsoever.
He is a brave horse that is trained exceptionally well as a hunter, so he needs to be brave over natural obstacles. I personally like his peeking, hence why he is such an good hunter horse and does amazing at shows. The judges love horses that "peek" and he jumps amazing because of that. I'm not asking how to "get rid" of his peeking, just how to release better when he does.
Just because he looks at the jumps does not mean he lacks confidence, he has been trained to the nines and I know for a fact he has not been over-faced at any point. We did the 2'3 Baby Green Division all last season, and maxed at 2'6 by the end. We have only started jumping "bigger" and he is so much happier to do so. He practically steps over anything under 2'9. His dad jumps the same way he does, it's just the style that he jumps, not that he's terrified.
I agree with you that more control over his haunches would help me encourage him up to the fences, but he approaches them just fine. It would be a different story if he refuses to go anywhere near the jump. But in the video you can see he happily approaches, jumps and canters away from every jump without hesitation. I like him to look at what he's jumping and me not "running" him at anything. That is how so many horses actually lose confidence, scope and power.

xoSonnyLove1234 -- Haha, thank you! I will be interested to see if there ever will be a scarf accident. :] :] :]

·
Registered
570 Posts
xoSonnyLove1234 -- Haha, thank you! I will be interested to see if there ever will be a scarf accident. :] :] :]
Yeah, I can't really imagine that it could get caught on anything well enough to strangle you...

I think your horse looks fabulous - he is willing and brave to all the fences in the video, and seems to have a great natural striding. His jump is absolutely gorgeous, and has a lot of expression to it - something you don't often see in the hunter ring.

Overall, your jumping position looks great. If there is anything I would add to what others have already said, is to let your hip angle close more - you're jumping ahead of him a little bit. I have found that what helps me is to ride up to the fences in just a half seat, and let his jump fold you. Closing your hip angle in this way should naturally make your jumping position more relaxed, and will improve your release.

Also, definitely work on keeping your hands upright - "piano hands" disrupt the straight line from elbow to bit.

Oh, and on a side note: Your horse is gorgeous, I've always wanted one that color! :]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.