The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom (93) gave us these last week. She can't remember about them. Wife thinks ornamental for draft horse down front of browband?
Hoping someone would know. They're just a little over 15" long. Very pretty brass hearts. Love to know use and approximate age. They hung by her one fireplace at least 50 years I know.
Thanks. View attachment 1013617 Chain Metal Fashion accessory Metal Fashion accessory
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Finger Hand

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,247 Posts
@QtrBel has drafts and is here often, she might be able to really identify.
Harness yes, face no...
Thinking more along the shoulder, back and rump areas of the harness as decoration pieces.
Some of those decorations had meaning of warding off evil and such...

Seen more on draft harness and of the fancy stuff not the work, utility stuff.

I also wonder if this is for a 4-inhand team to hold the reins from sagging, dragging or getting hung up on another part of the teams rigging..

:runninghorse2:...

·
Super Moderator
13,079 Posts
Looks like line spreaders.

ETA: I didn't realize pictures in use would be hard to find. Here are two. Attached to the hames they are used to keep the reins in direct line to the driver's hands and used in multiple hitches (2 or more).
They can be decorated and for a while they had celluloid rings for that purpose that over time break and fall apart. The metal ring is the only ring used.

Yours may or may not have had those on top of the disks. It may well be that that disk style of decoration alone was popular in your area. They were made in different lengths depending on the size of the team.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,079 Posts
Top photo at B. is a plain utilitarian spreader. Bottom photo is a fancy spreader with celluloid rings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts