The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My horse has a lot of inflammation throughout her back and surrounding the existing saddle sores that she had when I got her. She has also been getting stocked up a lot recently. I have been looking into a few different supplements that were recommended by her chiro. If anyone has any experience with any of these supplements (especially for similar situations) or any other recommendations I would really appreciate it! I also added pictures that show her sores. Thank you in advance!

1. Boswellia Serrata (Platinum Performance)
2. Immubiome Spine & Nerve
3. Vitamin D3
4. Japanese Knotweed

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
1. One of my horses has a twice fractured sacrum, among a few other serious issues.

I have had the best luck in dealing with inflammation in him with Smartearth’s Camelina Oil. Even his chiropractor noticed a difference in the puffiness at his sacrum.

2. I also feed him Cosequin ASU+ (Plus) by Nutramax.

3. Exactly what are the horse’s back issues?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, first of all where is inflammation - in the skin or far below. As about skin damages (my previous horse had ones due to ill fitted saddle) vet recommendations were (and it worked) 1) no saddle before fitted saddle 2) creme for cows udder (crazy but works wonders) on a damaged skin.

As about muscles issues another recommendation (also tried and it works) is Radiol M-R (orange bottle not blue one). but be cautious it's really hot (you could even add water in it to decrease). Vet said - DO NOT use it concentrated (or even at all) when it's above +25 outside. In winter after training you could put it on muscles under the rug.

An also quite good anti-inflammatory is MSM. it's quite general anti-inflammatory thing.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,234 Posts
A well-balanced omega 3 oil supplement can help a lot. My 24 year old horse, with mild arthritis in a few places, is on Mad Barn W-3. After doing my research, it was the winner. Better omega 3 to 6 ratio than most oils, and the 3 is in the form of DHA, which is the most absorbable kind, so it doesn't get lost when the body converts it. It also has lots of vitamin E, which many horses are lacking. I'm in Canada, but these guys ship to the USA.

She's been on Previcox (aka Equioxx) for a while, but prior to the oil, she was stiffer and taking a lot longer to warm up. She would also only ever roll on one side when she dropped to roll in the sand. Now she rolls right over! She's also shiiiiiiiiiiiiiny as heck, even in the winter.

You might also want to see about getting Previcox from your vet (if it won't interfere with anything else she's getting) as a short term helper for the problem. It's an affordable, extremely effective anti-inflammatory medication, and is easier on their systems than Bute if she needs to be on it a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts