The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
My understanding of the Chifney bit is that it isn't so much a riding bit as a leading aid. Sort of like a step up when a chain shank doesn't do the job. The two side rings clip or buckle to a halter or headstall, and the lead rope is attached to the third ring, with part of the big "ring" in the horse's mouth. If the horse goes up, it has more bite than a chain over the nose. I think they're a little more common in Britain and Europe than here in the US, and a couple of (very dated) books I've read on halter classes recommend the chifney for fussy show stallions in the ring.

Reactions: jmdnarri

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm, well never heard of one before, but ya learn something every day eh? I always see people running the chain itself through the mouth of a hard to control horse... I would never resort to that kind of force unless completely necessary, but to each his own I guess...

Thanks for answering my question.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I thought the best way to stop rearing was to use the tiny bit between your ears! I guess there is a bit for everything.

Reactions: WSArabians

·
Registered
251 Posts
I thought the best way to stop rearing was to use the tiny bit between your ears! I guess there is a bit for everything.
This does not come standard in many of today's models (aka people) :lol:

Reactions: LikeaTB

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
HAHAHA KevinsHorses and FlyinsoLow say it best!

I've seen quite a few of those on a thoroughbred sale they had.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, I would much rather prevent the problem before it arises by laying a good foundation and establishing my leadership...Like your sig says Kevin, figure out hwat is happening before it happens... I must say I have never actually had to use a nose or mouth chain, though I have used a crop a couple of times to keep some really big and pushy horses out of my space...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.