The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my old Western saddle from when I was a kid wrapped up in a sheet and plastic bag in a storage shed at my parents. I thought it was long gone because it would have been put in there like 40 years ago.

Of course it is super dry and one of the fenders has been replaced and the saddle horn was chewed on by "something" at some time but other than that it is not totally ruined.

I do not know where the saddle originally was purchased from I got it as a kid as a gift (I am now 56) I know we used to order tack and all from Sear's catalogs but they must have ordered it from somewhere.

I think from measuring it is a 17.

Does anyone have any idea how I might find the maker? Or can anyone tell me approx age? Or if it was ever a "good" saddle or crap? I know it seems the saddle embellishment is totally out of style.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Hard to say on it. It looks like a Sears saddle, and I have two of them myself. I've taken them completely apart, almost down to the tree, just to teach myself how saddles are put together... and never found a maker mark or a serial number. I doubt they put serial numbers on them that long ago anyway. IIRC - JC Higgins made the Sears saddles.

I wouldn't say it's a crap saddle back in the day, but they were pretty common. I'd guess its age from anywhere in the 1940s to the 1960s.

It probably won't fit a modern horse - they're bigger, faster, stronger and pre-1970s are often far too small for them, but it WOULD probably fit a young quarter horse or a mixed breed with narrow shoulders and back.... for people with horses built smaller than the bulldog quarter horses these days, a well made old saddle can be a God send.

If you've got a sentimental attachment to it, I'd clean it up and display it on a stand with a nice, era appropriate saddle pad under it to help it hold it's shape and 'dress' it up. If want to sell it, it'll bring about 75 bucks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the great information! I did not realize horses had gotten bigger but it makes sense! I know Quarter horses sure seem bigger and taller.
I got this saddle new in about in 74. My horse had an Appaloosa Dam and the Dad was a "I didn't know this horse was pregnant when I bought her at auction"

Your suggestion sounds great!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Yep. Quarter horses have gotten bigger compared to the quarter horses pre-1970s. Part of it is because people have gotten bigger too, so the horses had to be bred to be bigger and our saddles have gotten bigger accordingly. We have a small, senior QH that one of these types of saddles fits well... but he's barely 14hh, if that. All the rest of our quarter horses? These older saddles are painfully, laughably, small on them. I'm betting a saddle that small on a modern horse will put some pretty nasty pressure points into their shoulders and kidney area and padding them thicker is like wearing a tube sock with a pair of high heels that are already a size too small.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts