The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is all the footage I got today. I should have had a lot more better footage, but my camera was a big meanie and decided it wasn't going to record video.

So, this was when both of us were tired. Her more than me, though. I think she has gotten better and accepted the snaffle more, don't you think? And she was giving me more energy the previous 2 times I tried to get video, but at this point, she just got all mellow on me! After my camera quit (a whole 2 minutes....) I got some more energy into her, so she didn't look like an awfully trained WP horse. And cantered around a bunch, and she didn't fight me at the canter either!!!!! Yippeee!!!

I notice I'm still too far forward, which was probably a lot less when she was giving me more giddy-up. My diagonals are coming along slowly. And she likes to tell me I'm a little bit too much in her face by pulling down, and pulling me off balance, cause instead of rein sliding, my hands hit the knots on the barrel racing reins. (My grandpa has an English bridle and reins in his garage that he bought because he thought it looked cool. I'mma steal it soon!)

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
is it just me or does it look like she is kind of limping/favoring her front end?

other then that and the things you mentioned I would say your looking good.

loosen them reins, pull up your stirrups a hair, shoulders back, elbows in and heals down.

·
Banned
1,689 Posts
Good:

When on the right rein (going CCW) you were rising on the correct diagonal.

Your upper body position is good for hunt seat riding, about 15 deg in front of the vertical.

It seems your horse is seeking contact.

You made a nice change of direction on the circle

Needs work:

When you changed reins (direction) you forgot to sit the trot for one stride so you went around on the left rein rising on the wrong diagonal

I think you may be asking for more contact too quickly. Let her work in a low and long frame for longer and slowly take up contact when you feel her give you more push from behind.

You may be doing that already but it didn't show on the video.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! I think what you describes about taking up contact when she gives me more push was what was happenening when she was gaving me a little more energy, but didn't fight the contact as she was before.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think there's improvement, definately! It looks like you're getting closer and closer to that nice contact, she didn't seem to be fighting you :)
A tip for getting your diagonals right:
When you ask for the trot, sit for a few beats, sneak a peek (until you really get the feel for the diagonals) and then start posting on the correct one. Also, when changing the rein, remember to sit one so that you're on the correct diagonal again :)

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
I honestly did not know that about posting and changing rein...waaay above me
:)

One thing I'd like to add, is the "outside rein" (outside refers to closest to the rail, inside is closest to the center.. it changes depending on your direction) is your supporting rein and it should have {more} contact that the inside rein. I say more loosely since it's more a case by case thing.

But what doesn't change is when you go to turn, you look the direction, your outside shoulder advances in front of your left by a hair, your outside seatbone is advanced by a hair, your inside leg is there to support the horse's barrel.. and your outside rein is supporting the shoulder while your inside rein is nice and supple or maybe even being gently vibrated.

How I do that with my greenie is hold my outside rein close to me in 90 degrees but not stiff, just supporting (like a beam in a garage) and tap with my inside leg to help him stay into those corners. You have to be careful not to lean into the turn.. you stay upright and if anything, have a little more weight down the inside of that outside leg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everyone already posted what you need to work on so I wont say anything. But I did want to say that your mare is CUTE!

I think once you can get her to stop pulling down on you, shes going to be a pretty cool lil mare!

How old is she?

You said your teaching yourself english correct (I think I read that somewhere?) I think you are doing great! :D Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Everyone already posted what you need to work on so I wont say anything. But I did want to say that your mare is CUTE!

I think once you can get her to stop pulling down on you, shes going to be a pretty cool lil mare!

How old is she?

You said your teaching yourself english correct (I think I read that somewhere?) I think you are doing great! :D Keep up the good work!
She's about 6 years old, we got her for free as a yearling after a bunch of mares and foals were rescued. Long story.
I've done a lot of work to her in the past year. I've roped calves off of her the past 2 years, and I did a lot of softening work with her this past summer. I team roped with her when my heading horse was injured as well. I had her collecting really good, and then she got used for a few months with a curb and got onery in a snaffle, so I've been working her back to where I want her. She honestly has been doing really good at everything I've thrown her into.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.