The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys, royal has been on prascend for 4 weeks now. He has gone fluffy and went through the "veil" fine. He kept his appetite and even got more impatient with food.

Please see the pictures below and any thoughts or comments are highly welcome:)

If anyone can see a change please let me know.

I may be better off not taking any pictures now until after winter, shaggy coat should be gone and hay bales will be fed adlib for extra weight.

But looking forward to responses if anyone can see a change. All I see is fluffiness!

With the rear view the picture on the right is last month and left is this month.

Horse Plant Eyelash Tree Liver

With the side view the bottom was 1 month ago and top is today.
Horse Photograph Ecoregion Vertebrate Plant

·
Registered
15,099 Posts
Sorry, I can't see any difference, except the lighting.

·
Super Moderator
16,790 Posts
I usually associate "fluffiness" with being overweight...
Fluffy in these is a winter coat showing, which is hiding a lot lost with near no gain.
I'm sorry, I see no improvement.
The butt pictures are very hard to determine what is real gain from winter coat gain...I do see a small change their, other wise no.

I'm thinking your horse is now on hay fed for nutrients cause your grass is spent and just busy food but no nutrients in dormancy...
Make sure although he may stand on a pasture you are providing him a abundance of quality forage or make those meals for seniors often and plentiful. If he can't get enough nutrients from the hay he must get it from somewhere.
Good luck.
🐴...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I usually associate "fluffiness" with being overweight...
Fluffy in these is a winter coat showing, which is hiding a lot lost with near no gain.
I'm sorry, I see no improvement.
The butt pictures are very hard to determine what is real gain from winter coat gain...I do see a small change their, other wise no.

I'm thinking your horse is now on hay fed for nutrients cause your grass is spent and just busy food but no nutrients in dormancy...
Make sure although he may stand on a pasture you are providing him a abundance of quality forage or make those meals for seniors often and plentiful. If he can't get enough nutrients from the hay he must get it from somewhere.
Good luck.
🐴...
Yep, grass was never there when we moved them In. It was all weeds so we have been mowing in order to choke the weeds out with the new grass.

I am about to get a 6x4 bale for them to have ad lib and they have access to the arena we have for the agistment to mow that down. I'm prepared to spend a lot of money over winter to get them through and hope we can get our grass growing in spring coming. It will be a long 3 months ahead.

I think I will leave all pictures until winter is over then and try again later on.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
So guys, royal has been on prascend for 4 weeks now. He has gone fluffy and went through the "veil" fine. He kept his appetite and even got more impatient with food.

Please see the pictures below and any thoughts or comments are highly welcome:)

If anyone can see a change please let me know.

I may be better off not taking any pictures now until after winter, shaggy coat should be gone and hay bales will be fed adlib for extra weight.

But looking forward to responses if anyone can see a change. All I see is fluffiness!

With the rear view the picture on the right is last month and left is this month.

View attachment 1113363

With the side view the bottom was 1 month ago and top is today.
View attachment 1113364
His hind, neck, front legs got bigger muscles now.

·
Registered
12,021 Posts
It is going to take awhile to see a big difference but I will say that being Cushings will likely turn him into a hard keeper, if he wasn’t already.

My IR horse developed Cushings in 2019 and I watched his muscle and fat steadily disappear. I tried several fat additives in the feed stores to no avail.

What has worked miracles for him, in terms of helping with muscle waste and adding fat back onto his ribs, is the custom vit/min supplement mix that HorseTech made for him - and it doesn’t cost much more than their standard Vit/min supplement mix.

They increased the strength of the three amino acids horses need to maintain healthy muscles and they added more fat calories

When the general vet came to draw blood, he commented that Joker looks much better coming out of winter than he did going into it. The only reason for that is this custom mix.

Joker is also FINALLY almost completely shed out and pretty slick, which is more than I can say for my healthy horse. It would take someone who knows what to look for to say “he has Cushings doesn’t he”.

This ^^^^. is the vit/min supplement he gets but they have added more amino acids & fat. He gets this mixed into a cup of Timothy pellets 2X/ day.

FWIW, I tried feeding him Triple Crown with beet pulp but it had just enough molasses in it, to make him crazy. This horse is never crazy but it was a legitimate reaction to bagged feed that he has not eaten in seven years. I gave the 2/3 remainder of the bag to my neighbor to take to her Horse.

Except for hay, less is more with these horses but hay is not going to do the trick where Cushings is concerned, IMO:)

Also, @rambo99 has a horse with PSSM. HorseTech does a custom mix for her, that I think she has been pretty happy with for Ice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.