The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People sometimes ask what to do about the "nastiness" their mare displays during her heat cycle, especially in the Spring.

My mare has been a bit on the witchy side lately and my friends all have geldings. I have no idea what is "typical" mare behavior! My mare acts like a teenage girl "on the rag" sometimes. And she seems to hold a grudge.

Would you mind sharing some stories of your mares behavior during their cycles? It could be entertaining!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
She wasn’t really witchy but boy did she like having her sides squeezed with my legs. The more I squeezed and bumped, the more she planted herself. We literally got nowhere. Bump - squat, pee. Squeeze - squat, pee. I gave it up and got off and we did ground work. Until a gelding showed up. Ask for a small circle - whinny - throw bum at gelding - whinny, squat, pee. It was a school horse and I wasn’t well endowed with experience so I just gave it up and went to groom her and love on her which both of us enjoyed.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This is how little I knew about horses when I got Angelina (she was 21). One morning I discerned a “substance” emitting from her lady parts and in a panic, ran to the house to call the vet. “Doc! I think Angelina’s got a female infection!”
He calmly explained what it actually was. Talk about feeling like an idiot. Well, Angelina apparently went into menopause after that ‘cause it never happened again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Our first horse is an Appaloosa mare. We never know when she is in heat as she is stubborn and a bit grumpy all of the time. Over the years we've added a few geldings to the herd. The mare worries each new gelding for several days until she figures out they have no interest in her and can do nothing for her. When we added an Appaloosa gelding we separated them with a gate and the mare knocked the gate off the hinges to get to him.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
You never knew when Gracie Mae was in heat so we'd introduce her to a stallion and presto she was in. Say what you will about silent heat and coincidences but it happened each of the 4 times she was bred. Second time she went with a pasture mate to be bred and of course Gracie was immediately ready. Este was not and when she did finally get ready Gracie decided she wasn't done with the fun so came into heat again. Her ultra sound showed she took the first time. For the next 2 we had our own stallion and #4 was an oops when hubby forgot to shut Thunder's gate one November morning. In the time it took him to get to the house to holler at me and for me to throw some clothes on and get back to the barn to get Thunder out of the middle of the mares, which was all of 10-15 minutes, Gracie managed to get a bun in the oven. Funny how I knew exactly which mare to have ultra sounded even though they were all just standing there grazing and acting oh so innocent by the time I walked out there because we had intended to not have any foals the next year so none of them were in foal prior to Thunder's play time. LOL

Freckles gets all amorous with human men when she's in heat. Wants to rub all over the farrier when he's trying to trim her hooves, bats her eyelashes at them, it's pretty hilarious.

Old Mom, on the other hand, hated human men when she was in heat. If farrier day happened to fall during a cycle I'd have to pick up her feet and hand them off then stand so that she could only see my back. She also kicked the crap out of hubby one time.

Old Mom was already old when we got her so was never a riding horse for us and I can't tell you how she would have acted under saddle during a heat cycle. I never had a problem handling her cycling or not once she learned I didn't put up with any nonsense after she came here to live. She was one of the needed a better home than she had acquisitions. The other two behaved no differently when getting ridden or handled other than what was mentioned above.

We are down to 3 mares now, Freckles you already read about and then we have Cloud and Miss. Both were born here 16 years ago, neither has ever had a foal and neither act any different from one day to the next. Cloud does make a mess out of her rear legs mostly because they are white so every little stain is very noticeable.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Until Ona was 2, she lived in the same barn with 2 stallions (her dad and her brother). Her behavior was hilarious but I felt sorry for her. Constant attempts at seduction - prancing around, showing them her butt, lifting her tail, squirting everywhere.....she was shameless.

Now she's 9 and she lives with 2 geldings. She's given up on trying to get bred, but she's a witch in the Spring.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My filly is every 21 days like clock work all year long. When she is horsing she is all over the gelding biting , body blocking, squirting chasing and shoving her butt at him. I've seen her trying to get his attention walking following him for 200-300 yds biting him on the butt every step trying to get him to stop and look at her. Sometimes I think I miss named her, should have called her Shameless.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Knightrider and I just took our mares camping together. Both our mares were in season and loving on each other. My mare knocked her electric fence down and instead of running to see her buddy horse, she ran in circles, before running over to see Windy. At least they didn't kick each other, which they might do when they aren't in season.

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Our newest mare came to us october last year with a 4 week old foal at foot. Immediately in heat & took a strong liking to one of my geldings who was only too happy to oblige - the others sometimes get excited about my mares in heat but have no clue, while he's the only one that knows/wants to do the deed. But he's a polite fella & she was obviously desperate for a bit! He tried to 'take it slowly' but she'd have none of it, actually got aggressive with him in her impatience... and then, after a few goes, grumpy with him because he'd had enough! Reminded me of an old Skyhooks song... "16 times a week and you still want more...."

Took both our mares up to camp in a place there are brumbies last week & she was in season. Thankfully had 6' high stockyards there to keep them in over night, and I woke to hoofbeats & squealing in the middle of the night, a brumby mob moved off a bit when we got up in the morn. We saddled up & followed them for a bit, mares more than happy to do so, but she has never shown an iota of 'difficulty' under saddle or in hand when in that... state. I'm sure if we let her go there, she'd be off to meet the stallion in a flash tho!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's an entertaining video of my "witchy" mare this morning LOL. Don't give me any flack about the dog, she was having fun and so were the horses and nobody got hurt!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts