The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some reviews on using Red horse Field Paste for thrushy horses, particularly horses living in winter climates with constant snow.

All three of my mares have some thrush, so I'm figuring it's something environmental since they are all dealing with it. We have had a solid snowpack for about two months now, and they live outside 24/7. They do have 3-sided sheds that they use most nights; sheds are cleaned daily and bedded with pine shavings. While people don't generally think of snow as something that leads to thrush, when they're out on it 24/7, their feet are basically always damp- on warmer days, the snow gets very soft and slushy, and then on colder days, it freezes solid but the body heat in their feet is enough to slightly melt the snow they stand on. When the snow is fresh, it may well be several inches deep, so they are standing in it up above their pasterns. I am picking hooves daily and pouring on thrushbuster, but their frogs are still ragged and eaten looking.

I've read great reviews of Red Horse field paste, but it seems to be mainly a product used in the UK. I found a US vendor and ordered a tub to give it a try, hoping to see good results. However, I have not been able to find any reviews of using it with horses turned out in ice/snow. I wonder if it will affect their traction walking around the pasture, where there are many icy spots under the snow. Also wondering if the paste itself will stay put when it's on feet standing on a below-freezing surface? Does anyone here have any experience using it? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.