The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok one of my favorite subjects! Horse tack! My horse has to be in bell boots all the time because of our turned toes and he over steps a lot and can easily throw a shoe. And I鈥檓 guessing my one pair I have now isn鈥檛 going to last more than a week馃槀 So favorite brands for bell boots? Or headstalls or breastcollars? I also love supporting small businesses. So suggestions please! If you have a horse tack business you can tell me below and maybe I鈥檒l check it out. I just want to hear what brands you guys use and like. Also any favorite brands that sell tail bags? Thanks a lot!

Banned
Snickers- Seal brown and white pinto mare
So I don't really have a favorite brand of tack. The saddles I have right now are super nice, just need an oil and to be soaped, but we're not sure of the brand. I think probably your local tack store would be good. Mine come from craigslist and KSL classifieds, so I think if you can find a good used one, then that is my favorite. Plus if you get a used one, there are more options because they can be super old or super new.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I don't really have a favorite brand of tack. The saddles I have right now are super nice, just need an oil and to be soaped, but we're not sure of the brand. I think probably your local tack store would be good. Mine come from craigslist and KSL classifieds, so I think if you can find a good used one, then that is my favorite. Plus if you get a used one, there are more options because they can be super old or super new.
Thanks for sharing! I love a good local tack store! And craglist is pretty handy too lol!

Super Moderator
Not brand but the quality of the product bought, forget the name when it comes to bell boots.
You want HD bell boots with double-locking Velcro fasteners to start with...then go from there in purchasing.
I've never seen them in any color other than black, occasionally white...

As for leather that is good, decent working construction and affordable ...Weaver products I find take use and still look nice and are affordable.
馃惔 ...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not brand but the quality of the product bought, forget the name when it comes to bell boots.
You want HD bell boots with double-locking Velcro fasteners to start with...then go from there in purchasing.
I've never seen them in any color other than black, occasionally white...

As for leather that is good, decent working construction and affordable ...Weaver products I find take use and still look nice and are affordable.
馃惔 ...
Weaver products are very nice. And I agree that quality is more important than brand or looks. However some times I feel like quality is over looked.

Registered
I myself like the Classic Equine Dyno Turn bell boots. They just seem to fit the best, in my opinion. And they last pretty decent.

As far as your gelding, that's interesting for OUT-turned toes he is pulling shoes. Usually it's the pigeon-toed ones prone to do that.
Of course, if it's working for you to keep bell boots on him all the time, great, do that. But IMO, a bell boot is not going to stop the force required to physically bend or pull off a shoe if another foot catches it. Not to mention .... you kind of WANT that shoe to come off if a horse catches themselves. Or you could have a worse tumble on your hands.
Usually if a horse is catching or pulling shoes frequently, they are usually either unbalanced in their feet in some way ,or they have an undiagnosed lameness problem. I don't want to hijack your thread here too much, but I would encourage you to post pictures of his feet in the hoof section (and read instructions on how to post pictures correctly).

So getting back on topic, for regular every day tack, I like the harness leather for reins and headstalls. It's better quality and I like the feel. At my local tack stores, that is usually going to be the Weaver brand, so that is most of what I have.

But I do have fun tack for barrel racing. Two headstalls are from BlingMyRide. Quality is great. Although I was disappointed with customer service for my second headstall. And I'm totally having a brain lapse on where I got the other headstall from. I'll think of it later.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I myself like the Classic Equine Dyno Turn bell boots. They just seem to fit the best, in my opinion. And they last pretty decent.

As far as your gelding, that's interesting for OUT-turned toes he is pulling shoes. Usually it's the pigeon-toed ones prone to do that.
Of course, if it's working for you to keep bell boots on him all the time, great, do that. But IMO, a bell boot is not going to stop the force required to physically bend or pull off a shoe if another foot catches it. Not to mention .... you kind of WANT that shoe to come off if a horse catches themselves. Or you could have a worse tumble on your hands.
Usually if a horse is catching or pulling shoes frequently, they are usually either unbalanced in their feet in some way ,or they have an undiagnosed lameness problem. I don't want to hijack your thread here too much, but I would encourage you to post pictures of his feet in the hoof section (and read instructions on how to post pictures correctly).

So getting back on topic, for regular every day tack, I like the harness leather for reins and headstalls. It's better quality and I like the feel. At my local tack stores, that is usually going to be the Weaver brand, so that is most of what I have.

But I do have fun tack for barrel racing. Two headstalls are from BlingMyRide. Quality is great. Although I was disappointed with customer service for my second headstall. And I'm totally having a brain lapse on where I got the other headstall from. I'll think of it later.

Ok first off beautiful photos!馃槏馃槏 And thanks for sharing I may share a picture of his hooves later. But it is what our good vet said and he could probably explain why and how better. But anyway beautiful tack too. I currently have classic equine bell boots too and I love them. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Banned
Dashing Travler (Max) 17 Yr Flea Bitten Grey || Charging Rampage (Ace) 5 Yr Dapple Grey || :)
Ok one of my favorite subjects! Horse tack! My horse has to be in bell boots all the time because of our turned toes and he over steps a lot and can easily throw a shoe. And I鈥檓 guessing my one pair I have now isn鈥檛 going to last more than a week馃槀 So favorite brands for bell boots? Or headstalls or breastcollars? I also love supporting small businesses. So suggestions please! If you have a horse tack business you can tell me below and maybe I鈥檒l check it out. I just want to hear what brands you guys use and like. Also any favorite brands that sell tail bags? Thanks a lot!
I know I am a little late but 100% check out HOT HEADSTALLS her stuff is amazing and sells all the things you are looking for!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I am a little late but 100% check out HOT HEADSTALLS her stuff is amazing and sells all the things you are looking for!
Oh my gosh!! I love hot headstalls such cute stuff and I neeed to order thanks for sharing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts