The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have a 10 month old filly . I plan to register her with AHQHR but I’m not exactly sure what to put down for her color. I never seen her sire but know he is a Dun. Her mom was a chestnut sabino, I believe... Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Do you have photos of her without the winter woolies and of the back showing the tail head clearly? New born pics? How do you know the sire is dun? Do you have his name and breeding? Some nd1, especially nd1nd1, will exhibit strong characteristics but there are differences.

·
Registered
9 Posts
She was born in May but I didn’t purchase her until November so these are the only pictures I have of her without a winter coat and with her mom. Also a link to sire pedigree. Her mom wasn’t registered and from what I’m told is a welsh.

https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/definitly+dun+right

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have photos of her without the winter woolies and of the back showing the tail head clearly? New born pics? How do you know the sire is dun? Do you have his name and breeding? Some nd1, especially nd1nd1, will exhibit strong characteristics but there are differences.
Her sire color genetics is - Ee AtA nCr nDn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her sire color genetics is - Ee AtA nCr nDn
Sorry that was the grand sire

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
At a quick look, I would guess she is a black sabino (Who is extremely sunburnt!!!). Genetic testing can tell a lot. If she had the dun gene, it would be obviously expressed on her coat.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Her mom looks black to me and so does the filly maybe with silver. Pull mane hairs and send them to UC Davis and have her tested for color.

Reactions: AnitaAnne

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Updated pictures of filly. She’ll be a year old next month. I also noticed what could be some faint Dun stripes on legs 🤔

Attachments

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
You have a lovely black filly who looks to be sabino or has a sabino-like pattern (there are many which are currently untestable).

The filly is not dun, as dun on black makes for a dramatic mousy color which would be apparent by now:

The filly is also unlikely to be silver, as the mane and tail are dark (the edges of the tail are just foal camo that has not grown out yet). While silver can act a bit differently in ponies, the white eyelashes and odd-toned mane and tail would be hard to miss:

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Black with sabino. No Dun and I am not seeing nd1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts