The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a 7yr mustang mare back in April. When she got to me she had damaged the skin on her rear heel. No muscle damage and is sound, however despite my best efforts she continues to keep reopening the wound somehow. I've been using wound dressing, barrier spray, and wonder dust but I can't seem to get the wound to stay closed and heal over. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
14,681 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!

Are you wrapping the site by chance with anything to provide a physical barrier from the ground abrading that tender skin?

That is a tough area to heal as every step the skin stretches and moves as hoof is placed repeatedly.
You can't stop that part, but the part of the new tissue being continually abraded against any surface you can lessen if you wrap the area with a cushioning gauze or something like that and then apply a outer wrap of something like vet wrap carefully applied it not become restrictive just supportive in nature of keeping that protection in place.
I might hold off on the Wonder Dust for a few days as it stops tissue granulation, but you need it to allow tissue to be formed first too.
I would continue the wound/antibiotic dressing for a few days then stop that too and see if just covered and given some protection it not start and continue the healing done...
Probably take about 7 - 10 days and you should not need to continue to wrap the site.
Right now a bit of extra applied TLC imo would help.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Have you tried having her wear any kind of protective boot? There are many kinds of hoof boots that cover the heel.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,076 Posts
I'd skip the wonder dust until it's a lot further along -- if you need it at all. The wound dressing and barrier are there to help keep it moist, so adding a drying agent like Wonder Dust at this stage in healing is going to be counterproductive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts