The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to clean my horses sheath today, there were 2 beans the size of 5 cent coins :shock:. It was the most smelliest thing in the world to do, i cant believe i didn't have gloves on. :? Slip was a really good boy ! Lifted up leg, moved around a bit but and thats about it. My horse was really interested with the smell on my hands... yuck

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its strange how so much stuff gets up there.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Just to let you know, its not the sheath your removing the bean from, :lol: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, ha ha ha. Anyway, no, never found two beans. Wow!! Bet he feels better.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better, I didn't use gloves either, :shock:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to let you know, its not the sheath your removing the bean from, :lol: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, ha ha ha. Anyway, no, never found two beans. Wow!! Bet he feels better.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better, I didn't use gloves either, :shock:
Ahhaha took me a while to get that joke :lol:! He looked so relaxed after i removed them, and he gave me this kind look like thank you Olivia, thank you.

Reactions: nvr2many

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
they can get pretty nasty and crusty, some sooner than others. beans develop in the sheath, and at the end of the penis. be sure to get the shaft clean if the horse will drop for you. I have one ancient horse that loves to get cleaned and will stand for the water hose , and another that will kick your head off for even thinking about cleaning him, and he kicks when doped, Vets just love it. ')

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Last year my poor gelding swelled up and his pouch was hot to the touch. I had already made an appointment to have their teeth floated and sheaths cleaned and just moved the date up.

Poor boy had a HUGE bean - like the size of a big grape and then a smaller one. Poor baby. Hubby is not much on cleaning (read - NEVER) and I am always hosing them out and at least keeping the pouch clean.

Hahahahahaha most of the time without gloves - hey if the opportunity presents itself I don't have time to run get gloves!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm so glad I have a mare...

But yes, you can find A LOT of stuff in your horse's sheath.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Topaz isn't thrilled about me touching him any farther than the beginning of the sheeth but he needs some serious attention. I happened to graze the head when brushing him and I felt what seemed like a scab. It's huge. I think it's a bean but I can't get him to let me clean it. :-( I'll let you know if I find more than one.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Yes, I have. It seemed as if there was an "age" at which the "stuff" double between cleanings for my old gelding (for him it was about 23) . Since I had to have him sedated to clean him, I always knew exactly how long it was between cleanings. For other geldings I have had, no beans - b/c I cleaned them regularly as they didn't have to be sedated and were pretty good about it, in general.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im happy i got nearly every single bit, i got all the beans out of the end of the penis and the sheath. I think it looks pretty cool to have a gelding that doesn't have massive flakes of dead **** hanging from his wang dang.

I really like how clean it looks (penis) like it doesnt look like some long thing covered in brown flakes but actually a nice clean thing.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Just be sure not to clean it too often - the sheath has its' own microflore that can be disrupted by frequent hygene - and then they tend to become dirtier and dirtier. Of course, every horse has to be evaluated for cleaning individually. :) I check for a bean every now and then when he drops, but I clean the sheath about once in two months if he doesn't get too crusty.

Reactions: OliviaMyee

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slip hadn't had his Sheath cleaned in about 2 years :evil::evil::evil: Previous owner said she tried to do it but she couldn't, and i dont see the reason not to because Slip was so good ! I am definitely not doing this that often i will just look every month when his penis drops to see if there is a bean.
I was very paranoid that Slip would get an infection from me cleaning it, but not any more !

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Yeah, 2 years is a very long time. Even a clean gelding should be checked at least once a year for beans! My boys' previous owners were the same - he wasn't cleaned for way over two years - first, because they didn't think it was necessary, then - because he had started kicking whenever somebody tried to touch his sheath. He had started dripping from his penis and having trouble peeing so, as soon as I got him, he got sedated and cleaned out by a vet. As was expected, he had a huge bean that was blocking his urethra.

Since then, he's had no problems at all and lets me clean his sheath obediently - it seems that he even likes it.

Reactions: OliviaMyee

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that horses are grateful to have their things cleaned out... after they realise its alright to have their privates touched !

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I give Mitch a bit of a touch up after each ride (god that sounds perverted, it's not meant to -_-) he drops after every single ride so I have a quick look and a bit of a feel to see when he next needs doing, but I have yet to find any beans in him and i've had him 2 years, so next week when the vet comes back out for a second vaccine round I'll get her to have a look for me in case I'm missing something..

But I was cleaning him one day and a neighbour (read- NON HORSEY) stopped by and asked me what I was doing... Told him I was looking for my car keys as couldn't be bothered explaining when I was kind of pre-occupied...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I give Mitch a bit of a touch up after each ride (god that sounds perverted, it's not meant to -_-) he drops after every single ride so I have a quick look and a bit of a feel to see when he next needs doing, but I have yet to find any beans in him and i've had him 2 years, so next week when the vet comes back out for a second vaccine round I'll get her to have a look for me in case I'm missing something..

But I was cleaning him one day and a neighbour (read- NON HORSEY) stopped by and asked me what I was doing... Told him I was looking for my car keys as couldn't be bothered explaining when I was kind of pre-occupied...

bahahha thats funny i would have been very embarrassed, i gave my horse food to make him relax and exercise helps with him to. My friend calls me the "horse Pedophile" as a joke even know she knows that you need to clean private parts :-|.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.