The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted much, and it's pretty much because of offline. Moving, new baby in the family, etc.

So I was just wondering, though I know the answer is yes -- who among you is a nomad, like me?

Granted, I haven't traversed across country, but still. I was born in Arkansas, and lived in Searcy and West Point (if you've heard of West Point, you get a gold star -- there are 140-something people there and I probably remember most of them even now) before we moved to Horn Lake, MS. We lived in two or three houses there, before we moved back to Arkansas because of health problems in the family and my mom wanting to be near her mom. My grandmother died shortly after, but we stayed in West Point for...a year, I guess? I was eight, then, and we'd already moved somewhere between four and six times, I'm really not sure.

After a year or two in West Point, we moved to Pleasant Plains, in Arkansas. We were only there for some amount of time less than a year, but I hated it. We moved back to West Point for some amount of time less than a year, it's still quite fuzzy.

When I was eleven, we moved to Texas. We lived with my aunt and uncle for a while, then moved into a little house on one side of town. After a while we moved to the other side of town and an amazing, huge house close to the Texas A&M campus there. Commerce was my second favorite place to live, actually, weirdly enough. One of the two or three years we were there, I caught a ride on the anual Bois d'arc, I think it was called, festival's trail ride. They were really nice, to let a little kid actually run to catch up with the wagon as it was going -- I cut my knee jumping onto the ladder!

Then we moved back to Mississippi, and stayed there for around a year, moved through two apartments. My dad then got a job working on building condos on the beach in Florida, so we moved to Panama City. Let me tell you, it wasn't much fun. It smelled like paper mill all the time and our neighbors were all meth addicts. BUT. After a number of months, we moved over to the beach...and that was wonderful. We were there on the beach for about two years, I guess, before we had to move. So for some reason we decided to move to Dothan, Alabama. Advice for you: Don't ever do it. Dothan is a black hole of basic manners. The people suck. It's flat. And I'm allergic to peanut dust -- Dothan is the self-proclaimed peanut capitol of the WORLD. That's their claim to fame. Insanity.

Thankfully, within two or three years, we moved again, this time to Birmingham, AL. It was actually...really nice. I loved Birmingham so much that the three years we were there felt like nothing at all. We lived in three- different places in that time, but hey. After three years in BHam, we decided for some insane reason to move to the middle of Memphis, TN. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I wouldn't really reccomend it. Needless to say, that tenure lasted about four months, and now...we're in Ocean Springs, MS, just outside of Biloxi. So I've lived in over twenty places in my twenty years of existance.

It's all I know, being a nomad. I'm old enough that I'll be off on my own soon enough, but I'm already considering things that will allow me to keep my nomadic existance. I LIKE it. I like staying in a place, any city, just long enough to know all the roads. Just long enough to know the little shortcuts that longtime residents all use, discover all the little nooks that nobody knows about unless they know where to look. Then moving on to another place to learn the same about it. I think I'll do the park ranger thing -- on that note, do we have any park rangers here? My best friend's father was one, but I don't talk to him, so...firsthand experience is a good thing, yeah? I could use some advice. At any rate, that would give me a grounds for my wandering.

So...now that I've rambled entirely too much, you! You nomads, gypsies, and all. Tell me about yourselves. Does it ever go away, the wanderlust? Or do you just...keep on keeping on until you get too old to?

Geez, this is long, and I hope it's posted in the right place. Blah.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.