The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like everyone on here is tall (or atleast taller than me). I'm 5'1" (yeah I'm a shorty) and chubby :/ Anyone else who's short, ride? I am hoping to ride a Clydesdale/quarter horse soon, he's about 15hh and stocky. I think we'll look good together..what do you think?

I'm just curious it doesn't really matter a whole lot! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm stuck at sort of pushing 5', depending on the shoes I'm wearing, and my gelding is 15.1hh. I'd consider us proportionate to one another.

The 16.2hh Tb's, don't quite dwarf me though, so I don't find I have a problem with the bigger horses either.

I think you'd be fine with him.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Im 5'1" I have a 15 hh QH and a foal who I have no idea how big he'll get. I like being short, I can ride 13 hand ponies and still look fine. I have a wide range of horses to ride lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I'm five foot. I have very short legs and tall upper body, so I look funny on normal short person horses. My mare is 15.2; we look pretty good together. Mounting is a pain! Especially when I have to ride with such short stirrups.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I'm 5'2, 5'6 with 4" heels on!!!
I ride a 14.2 QH/mutt, a 17h Clyde (it's crazy!) and my late QH tank of a gelding 16.2 and I looked kinda silly on him, especially in my tiny 15in English saddle!! We looked fine western.
Short girls RULE! We look pretty good on anything!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: HollysHorses

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm five foot. I have very short legs and tall upper body, so I look funny on normal short person horses. My mare is 15.2; we look pretty good together. Mounting is a pain! Especially when I have to ride with such short stirrups.
I'm the opposite..I have a longer bottom half than top. But I'm still going to need a little step stool to mount lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Yep another shorty here. I'm about 5'3, maybe 5'4.
And yep, pretty stocky too. I'm an hourglass shape, have got a J-Lo bum no matter how much weight I lose and because my lower back curves out to meet my bum, I always look like I'm hollowing my back when I ride. Drives me crazy!
Tiny waist, makes nothing fit, then a rather large chest and broad shoulders.

And I'm a dressage rider :/ Geez I lucked on the body shape for dressage didn't I!!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm about 5'1 Princess is about 15hh maybe slightly under. My up and coming Ella is probably nearing 16hh.

I show fjords for a client and look great on them. I look great on prin. Can ride the Shetlands start to look like a pimple on a pumpkin on the tall tbs though Reuben's 17.1 trig 16.3.

Seriously ponies are fun I love being able to ride them. Comes in super handy when the school ponies need a tune up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
182 Posts
Don't know if you could call me short. I feel short lol. I am 5'4 and ride a 14.2 hand horse 14.3 and 15hh. I ride smaller horses so when I end up riding the 15 hand one. He seems HUGE. And his pasture buddy's are bigger then him, so they to me seem like giant's hahah.

Reactions: HollysHorses

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm 5'3" and ride a 15'1" Arab as well as a 16'3" Clyde cross. Even though I am well into middle age (OK my kids think OLD), I can still get up in the saddle with no mounting block. I can jump up on my Arab bareback, but have no hope on the Clyde X. When I was young and nimble, I used to be able to jump up on an 18 hand high Clyde no problem. Where did my spring go????

I used to love the big horses, but now because of my stature and "maturity" (meaning I'm not as energetic as I used to be), I like the smaller horses better now. Saturday, I am picking up my first pony X. I can't wait!! Now I am glad to be a little on the small side.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Yep another shorty here. I'm about 5'3, maybe 5'4.
And yep, pretty stocky too. I'm an hourglass shape, have got a J-Lo bum no matter how much weight I lose and because my lower back curves out to meet my bum, I always look like I'm hollowing my back when I ride. Drives me crazy!
Tiny waist, makes nothing fit, then a rather large chest and broad shoulders.

And I'm a dressage rider :/ Geez I lucked on the body shape for dressage didn't I!!!

Me too, girl! I say I weight 160 pounds, and people are like, :shock: I have a tiny waist and huge hips, chest, and shoulders. I don't look like I'd way that much, just from appearances. I'm build very awkwardly.

Finding breeches is a PAIN. They always fit in the waist but not in the legs, or vise versa. I have never worn a pair that are the right length, so I just safety pin everything.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Me too, girl! I say I weight 160 pounds, and people are like, :shock: I have a tiny waist and huge hips, chest, and shoulders. I don't look like I'd way that much, just from appearances. I'm build very awkwardly.

Finding breeches is a PAIN. They always fit in the waist but not in the legs, or vise versa. I have never worn a pair that are the right length, so I just safety pin everything.
Oooooh I can sympathise! I have the same problem with shirts. If it fits my chest, it then hangs like a tent over my waist and makes me look enormous. Or if I get something that is fitted, it fits my chest and waist but then my bum looks even bigger!
Pants in general are a pain, because of how my lower back curves to my big, sticking out bum, pants that fit my thighs and bum stick out like clown pants at my back so much that even a belt doesn't help!!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Oooooh I can sympathise! I have the same problem with shirts. If it fits my chest, it then hangs like a tent over my waist and makes me look enormous. Or if I get something that is fitted, it fits my chest and waist but then my bum looks even bigger!
Pants in general are a pain, because of how my lower back curves to my big, sticking out bum, pants that fit my thighs and bum stick out like clown pants at my back so much that even a belt doesn't help!!

EXACTLY with the shirts! Everything I wear must be fitted, or else I look like a whale. I can't even wear baby doll shirts or tunics or anything. Since I hate looking fat, I usually end up wearing cloths too tight for my chest. Which makes me look like I this huge, in-your-face rack. I just can't win!

Same with the pants! To fit my butt, I wear a size 13. My waist fits in a 10. :-| A belt just bunches up all the extra waist inches and looks weird. I have a "sway back" just like you. I'm going to look like a brick house in everything. Cannot win!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
EXACTLY with the shirts! Everything I wear must be fitted, or else I look like a whale. I can't even wear baby doll shirts or tunics or anything. Since I hate looking fat, I usually end up wearing cloths too tight for my chest. Which makes me look like I this huge, in-your-face rack. I just can't win!

Same with the pants! To fit my butt, I wear a size 13. My waist fits in a 10. :-| A belt just bunches up all the extra waist inches and looks weird. I have a "sway back" just like you. I'm going to look like a brick house in everything. Cannot win!
Makes me so happy to have someone with the same problem!!
I do the same with shirts, my little waist is my best bit, but to show that I'm actually NOT fat with my waist I need to wear fairly tight clothes.
I have an office job at the moment, and trying to find clothing that flatters my body type but doesn't make me looking trampy is the bane of my existance!

As for riding, I've finally found a brand of breeches that fit me and my stupidly small waist quite well. And because they're breeches, I don't need to take them up like I do with jods, how embarassing when I have to roll jods up nearly to my kness :S Stupid short legs!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
haha kayty and brighteyes i dont have the bum but i sure now what its like on the upper part of the body... i wont go shopping anymore i have everything retaylored to fit me :(
high five to all the awkwardness in a girl it makes us unique :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.