The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed since I've been working at the barn for a few months now, that every time Ice sees hay, he licks his lips. Just wondering if its a symptom of something else, or just a personality quirk? We have 20 other horses at our barn, and none of the other horses do this.

ETA: He does have access to a salt block and water.

·
Registered
449 Posts
He's just anticipating getting fed. We have a horse that actually starts chewing when he sees his hay coming, like he already has a mouthful. :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My gelding as soon as he sees hay, he starts drooling. Its hilarious. Its just like Pavlovs dogs is all.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
your gelding is buliding up saliva and getting ready to digest his hay if there fed at the same time every day you will se him produce saliva before you even pick up the hay i anticipation

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
LOL. Stoeka used to nicker when she saw her hay, then would start grinding her teeth, until she got her hay. Too cute... :grin:

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I have to agree with draftrider. It is a very Pavlovian thing. He is anticipating being fed so he is preparing himself is all.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My guy could have a pile of hay in his stall already but if he hears the hay wheelbarrow coming down the aisle he's at his door licking and whickering for some more. Goofball. Guess hay tastes better "fresh" lol

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yes, he nickers for his hard feed, in fact if we hold it so he can be worked, he'll stick his head out every time I pass by and nicker like "hellooo". No drooling thus far yet....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.