The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. I just starting riding horses about 6 months ago, and when i go into a trot or lope a I get a sharp, EXTREMELY painful feeling in my lower left side right above my hip. I do not think its a side stitch. It seems to get worse if I'm nervous. Im so scared i endometriosis or something. Ive been to multiple doctors and I'm debt a whopping $12,000 and STILL don't have answers. At first, drinking water would alleviate this pain, but water doesn't help anymore... I am so heartbroken and i just feel like i want to totally give up on life. I love horses and desperately want to ride fast but i have no idea what's wrong with me. Could it be trapped gas? Endometriosis? A torn oblique muscle? I just don't know.. can anyone relate..?

Update: Suspected torn/strained oblique muscle!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Obviously impossible to figure things out over the internet, but just to throw things out there for you to research and ask your doctors about: Abdominal Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment Syndrome.

I had a sharp pain on one side recently and that is what my doctor decided it was. Mine went away in the end, but I have heard of others needing steroid injections to get it to calm down. I think there is a particular way they test for it with you lying down, and they press somewhere and you try sit up (engage core) and that sets it off. Something like that anyway. Maybe engaging your core in trot/canter sets yours off.

Hopefully since you have been well checked over (and unfortunately had to spend a ton of $), the doctors have done lots of scans and blood tests to rule out anything more insidious.

I hope you figure it out and can feel better soon. Pain is not fun.

·
Super Moderator
10,043 Posts
Omigosh! I went through that for about a year. And I was an exercise rider!

At times thought I must have a serious disease and not long to live. A veterinarian told me it was probably muscular in origin. That I was standing, sitting, or sleeping in some way that caused tetany in my abdominal obliques when engaging my core.

Back then I was too broke, and too young, to get to a doc on my own. But a equine massage therapist heard and suggested some movements, poses, and stretches.

It helped. I eventually stopped having those. I'll never forget how bad that hurt. I've been careful since of my posture and balancing my workout and work.

I hope yours resolve soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Obviously impossible to figure things out over the internet, but just to throw things out there for you to research and ask your doctors about: Abdominal Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment Syndrome.

I had a sharp pain on one side recently and that is what my doctor decided it was. Mine went away in the end, but I have heard of others needing steroid injections to get it to calm down. I think there is a particular way they test for it with you lying down, and they press somewhere and you try sit up (engage core) and that sets it off. Something like that anyway. Maybe engaging your core in trot/canter sets yours off.

Hopefully since you have been well checked over (and unfortunately had to spend a ton of $), the doctors have done lots of scans and blood tests to rule out anything more insidious.

I hope you figure it out and can feel better soon. Pain is not fun.
Thanks so much for your reply!!!! I will absolutely ask my doctor about this on my next appointment!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Omigosh! I went through that for about a year. And I was an exercise rider!

At times thought I must have a serious disease and not long to live. A veterinarian told me it was probably muscular in origin. That I was standing, sitting, or sleeping in some way that caused tetany in my abdominal obliques when engaging my core.

Back then I was too broke, and too young, to get to a doc on my own. But a equine massage therapist heard and suggested some movements, poses, and stretches.

It helped. I eventually stopped having those. I'll never forget how bad that hurt. I've been careful since of my posture and balancing my workout and work.

I hope yours resolve soon.
Wow!! Thanks so much for your response! It's amazing to hear from someone who went through this as well. How can I find an equine massage therapist?

·
Super Moderator
10,043 Posts
Wow!! Thanks so much for your response! It's amazing to hear from someone who went through this as well. How can I find an equine massage therapist?
Find a human massage therapist. I suspect they will help. And certainly won't harm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One other thing it could be is an ovarian cyst. You've likely already been scanned for that but if you haven't it might be worth asking your Dr. about. I've had that and movement definitely made it worse. Hopefully you get an answer soon.

·
Registered
Sham- 5 year old Thoroughbred ~~~ Texas Pete- 32 year old Thoroughbred still going strong.
42 Posts
I’m so sorry you’re having this, I used to get it too when I was younger. For me it was a blocked lymph node that my Physical Therapist helped me fix pretty quickly (3 weeks) its very painful (felt almost like someone was tying a knot and tightening it and pulling as well as repetitive sharp jabs particularly at the trot) and I don’t think that it’s something that would be caught unless intentionally looked for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m so sorry you’re having this, I used to get it too when I was younger. For me it was a blocked lymph node that my Physical Therapist helped me fix pretty quickly (3 weeks) its very painful (felt almost like someone was tying a knot and tightening it and pulling as well as repetitive sharp jabs particularly at the trot) and I don’t think that it’s something that would be caught unless intentionally looked for.
wow! How did you figure out it was a blocked lymph node? And to get this fixed could i go to any physical therapist? Do I need a recommendation or could do you think i could schedule an appointment myself? Thanks!

·
Registered
Sham- 5 year old Thoroughbred ~~~ Texas Pete- 32 year old Thoroughbred still going strong.
42 Posts
wow! How did you figure out it was a blocked lymph node? And to get this fixed could i go to any physical therapist? Do I need a recommendation or could do you think i could schedule an appointment myself? Thanks!
I already was going to physical therapy for a horse related injury so we just kind of added that on :) it’s a specialized pt that I did called myofascial release. You could probably find someone in your area who does it :) We found it through another pt study called cranial-sacral. It worked wonders for me, to the point that I’m now going into the same profession 😂
The three specific therapies I did are usually practiced by private practitioners rather than larger corporate pt companies.
The therapies are called Myofascial, cranial-sacral and dynamic body balancing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I already was going to physical therapy for a horse related injury so we just kind of added that on :) it’s a specialized pt that I did called myofascial release. You could probably find someone in your area who does it :) We found it through another pt study called cranial-sacral. It worked wonders for me, to the point that I’m now going into the same profession 😂
The three specific therapies I did are usually practiced by private practitioners rather than larger corporate pt companies.
The therapies are called Myofascial, cranial-sacral and dynamic body balancing.
Wow!! Thanks so much for all your information!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everyone. I think I have a torn oblique muscle. Has anyone had a torn oblique before? I'm not for sure how to get this confirmed... I'm thinking an MRI scan would tell me..? If I do have a torn oblique does anyone know how long it will take to heal and if I need to completely stay off my horse. I'm wondering if I need to go a physical therapist.

·
Super Moderator
10,043 Posts
Many states allow direct access to physical therapy. If yours does you won't need a referral. But, often insurance won't pay without a referral from an MD. Ask when you call.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts