The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone feed this? Pros? Cons? It looks like it is a pretty complete feed and I am thinking of using it on my horses.......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to go with ADM Alliance Nutrition Ultra Fiber per my vets recommendation, Apparently Strategy has a very high Carb content and cardboard has been found as a byproduct in the feed! Eeeek!

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Strategy Healthy Edge has 17% NSC....definitely one of the lower one's.
As comparison, oats has 50%, corn 73%
Cardboard? I highly doubt that.....

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Strategy Healthy Edge has 17% NSC....definitely one of the lower one's.
Does anyone know how this compares to Nutrena Safechoice Original and Safechoice Perform?

On the pamphlet I have from Nutrena, it says, for example, dietary starch on the Safechoice Original is 17%, but it also says sugar is 5%. So do you combine those to get NSC or do I just go by the dietary starch? Or does anybody know what NCS is for Safechoice Original and Safechoice Perform?

I have fed all 3 at various times and the horses love them all and seem to do well on them all. So I find it a bit hard to compare. I know a Nutrena rep. once told me that there is just a little more starch in the Perform and also more fat. So I like the fact it is high fat but I don't know just how bad it is as far as NCS goes?

On the Safechoice Perform, it says dietary starch is 20% and sugar is 8% max.

Choices, choices!

I think one of my horses prefers the taste of Healthy Edge, but she likes all of them. :lol:

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
NSC is starch + sugar. So Perform 28%, Original 22%, Special Care 15%
My horses told me they prefer the Healthy Edge over all Safe Choices, but would agree with the Nutrena Life Design line;-)

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
NSC is starch + sugar. So Perform 28%, Original 22%, Special Care 15%
My horses told me they prefer the Healthy Edge over all Safe Choices, but would agree with the Nutrena Life Design line;-)
Very interesting!

Not knowing anything about the feeds, I would have guess that Healthy Edge is the highest in NSC just because it has that slightly sticky, molassas-y feel to it. (And the horses seem to especially relish it). But it's actually the lowest in NSC of the 3 I've tried (I haven't used Special Care).

So hmmm. Maybe I will eventually go back to Healthy Edge. Right now I have quite a few bags of Perform to feed.

Another reason I switched from Healthy Edge is I have a feeling it has quite a lot of alfalfa in it. Which is great if it does, because I think alfalfa is a great hay. But it almost seems redundant because I am feeding a mostly alfalfa diet.

Do you know if Healthy Edge is largely alfalfa?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I found this on another website (NOT the manufacturers, so I am not guaranteeing it's accuracy).

Wheat middlings, dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground soybean hulls, cane molasses, dried beet pulp, ground rice hulls, soybean oil, ground corn, calcium carbonate, stabilized rice bran, vegetable oil, lignin sulfonate dehydrated, dehulled soybeanmeal, flaxseed, monocalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, salt, l-lysine, dl-methionine, iron oxide, dl-alpha tocopheryl acetaqte, citric acid, propionic acid, choline choloride, copper sulfate, sorbitan monostearate, zince oxide, cholecalciferol, vitamin b-12 supplement, tocopherols, bioflavin, calcium pantothenate, xanthan gum, vitamin A acette, calcium lodate, nicotinic acid, magnesium oxide, cobalt carbonate, ferrous carbonate, manganous oxide, natural and artificial flavors, sodium selenite. 21% roughage products: Dried Beet pulp, Ground rice hulls and ground soybean hulls.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
The tag says slightly different. And names a few more things, or they're switched around.
It does state "7% ground rice hulls" and "10% ground soybean hulls", which would leave 4% for beet pulp. Also, alfalfa standing before the rice hulls, means minimum 10% alfalfa.

Also, for those who hear "corn"... it's less corn than beetpulp, so no need to panic;-)

For me, it's not a bad feed at all, cardboard or not...;-)

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Hmm.

Which do you guys think is better for an active pleasure horse, Safechoice Original, Safechoice Perform or Strategy Healthy Edge?

I am actually feeding very little of either one, usually 2-3 pounds a day. That was one of the reasons I bought Perform the last time, because it seemed more concentrated so I figured even though I am not feeding a lot they are getting more out of it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We feed Strategy to our guys and it has done a good job helping put weight on my daughters colt. We have had no problems with it and the price is good.

Cheers!
Les

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
The tag says slightly different. And names a few more things, or they're switched around.
It does state "7% ground rice hulls" and "10% ground soybean hulls", which would leave 4% for beet pulp. Also, alfalfa standing before the rice hulls, means minimum 10% alfalfa.

Also, for those who hear "corn"... it's less corn than beetpulp, so no need to panic;-)

For me, it's not a bad feed at all, cardboard or not...;-)
Yeah, I mean, beet pulp paper pulp, what's the difference??? lol

I have fed it before and had no problem with it, but my horses DO better on this Legends Performance, but it is fairly local, I think.

Nancy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fed it for about 3 months, But I need to steer clear of carbs due to my gelding being prone to thrush which thrives on sugars. I liked that it could convenient to buy at TSC which ADM is only sold at certain feed mills. Cardboard or not, I am sure my horses have eaten worse! lol I used to only feed oats with a vitamin. mineral supplement added......

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Hmm.

Which do you guys think is better for an active pleasure horse, Safechoice Original, Safechoice Perform or Strategy Healthy Edge?

I am actually feeding very little of either one, usually 2-3 pounds a day. That was one of the reasons I bought Perform the last time, because it seemed more concentrated so I figured even though I am not feeding a lot they are getting more out of it.
Unfortunately the name Safe Choice is misleading, as I said, the Healthy Edge is lower in sugars.
It's a matter of preference I guess. My gang likes the HE better, but, as I said, would agree with the Life Design line of Nutrena. They weren't too thrilled with the SC. Spoiled rotten.......;-)

·
Registered
707 Posts
I liked the Healthy Edge as an extra source of calories in the winter, particularly since it has some added fat. It's also the only low NSC feed I can buy other than plain grass hay pellets. I was able to feed maybe 1-2lbs of it per day, mixed with hay and hay pellets, to my mare with chronic laminitis to help her out when it was really cold. She had lost a lot of weight for a while and was having a hard time in the winter. We had no trouble with it, and it is really very low NSC for a Purina product, and I think that's beneficial for any horse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts