The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not new to horses, I've been with them for at least 2 years now. I at least thought that it would be a good idea to have a thread about Top Things You need to know about Horses.
So what are the top things? I'll start off,
1. Horses don't come cheap!
2. Horses need to be seen almost everyday!
So, you make the list longer :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Learn everything you can about them don't just hop on and ride. Especially gain an understanding of herd mentality and the way horses think.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Spend time to observe horses in herd. Their behavior will tell you more than any book or video, if only you are open to this information.

Spend time to get to know your horse in the smallest details - you should recognize his every movement, every breath he takes, how he displays his every emotion, etc. That might save his life one day, when you notice something outside of the norm.

Spend as much time in just being with your horse as in riding or otherwise working with him.

Be ready to change yourself in order to change something in your horse.

Be ready to put your horses' needs above your ambitions.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Know their language
know some of the lingo
basic medical knowledge
And that no matter how hard you try there will always be some fights you can't win. They weigh a thousand pounds more than you, if they really want to win, they'll win. Learned that one from years of experience lol.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
'When his head comes up his brain slides right down his neck'

·
Registered
48,568 Posts
Horses are Prey animals. They will leave food for safety, unlike dogs, who will leave safety for food. A horse will scan the world for potential threats about every 20 seconds or so. You are either a threat, a leader or scenery. you chose.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Horse owners should know a horse's normal temperature and how to take it. Invest in a horse thermometer. If you suspect colic, have a wound that looks infected, a swollen leg or anything that looks suspicious, it is good to take your horse's temperature. A vet will appreciate knowing in advance if your horse's temperature is elevated and if your horse's other vital signs are abnormal.

This link from The Horse talks about a horse's vital signs.

Normal Horse Vitals Signs and Health Indicators | TheHorse.com

If The Horse makes you sign in or register, it is free and worth it for the advice it gives. Sorry mods if this is not allowed.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Horses are a lot smarter than you think.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
- horses are smarter than you think and you are dumber than you think.

- All horses can hurt you, some will choose not to, others will choose to.

-Sometimes horse come with their own baggage, more often they take on the baggage of the person working with them.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
1. Horses are horses, not people or dogs. Don't apply human emotions to horse behaviour, evaluate the situation based on what their behaviours are, rather than what they mean to us.

2. Everything with horses is pressure and release. This both fixes and causes problems. By thinking in terms of pressure and release you can breakdown and solve most problems.

·
Administrator
35,658 Posts
Some of the time horses are a lot smarter than you give them credit for, the rest of the time they are more stupid than you ever expected them to be

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
What works for one horse does not always work for a different one.

And then one about horse people:

You can ask 20 horsemen/women the same question and get 20 different answers.

When a person starts asking me questions I always tell them that saying. Then I tell them it doesn't mean 1 is the right answer and the other 19 are wrong. Listen to them all, pick out the one that makes the most sense to you and the easiest and try it. Remember the other 19 and if the first one you try doesn't work pick out your next favorite on the list.

This pretty much goes along with the "all horses are different". Any advice I give is what works for me and my horses. Doesn't mean it will work for you or on your horse.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts