The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Under the Horse dvd set by Pete Ramey today (on sale for $125) - b/c after reading and watching everything I can, I don't feel "100%" sure of my trimming efforts....I don't feel 50%, for that matter. My horses have been barefoot for years and years, but until recently, a farrier trimmed them. One day I will think I am doing something just right, then the next I will read some other "take" on it that makes me feel I have done something wrong, then I will read yet another opinion that concurs w my original thought. Ugh. Luckily, I have never removed or allowed anyone to remove sole to the waxy part...at LEAST I got that part right and ignored suggestions to do otherwise! Then, one consistantly sees in the literature to "trim flat" as well as trim just above the sole. Well, if you trim most any horse to just above the sole, the bottom of their hoof will not be flat. The bottom of my mare's hoof walls (that which makes contact w the ground) have arches in them, I trimmed them that way so the quarters wouldn't chip. Now, I feel as if I have ruined her life forever (exagerating). I am not very aggresive about it b/c I am not confident. I have to mull things over forever, take photos, study them, ponder some more. She is as sound as the day is long, I just don't want to be the cause of her not being sound.

I was frustrated when I ordered it which muddied my judgement....I should have asked if anyone found it useful before I bought it!!! I need moral support here - I hope I didn't just waste 130 bucks! Are these dvds good, bad, so-so??? Anyone?

Reactions: QHH

·
Super Moderator
22,889 Posts
I certainly don't think you wasted anything! That's vastly cheaper than when I bought a copy, which many of my clients have been really impressed with too. It should really help you understand stuff I reckon. :wink:

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly don't think you wasted anything! That's vastly cheaper than when I bought a copy, which many of my clients have been really impressed with too. It should really help you understand stuff I reckon. :wink:
Oh, thank you, thank you!! I feel better. :D I feel like I have "obsessed" myself into the dark over her hooves, if you know what I mean...and that it drove me to push the "buy" button. I value your opinion (from your posts)...and really do feel better now.<<<sigh of relief>>>>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts