The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday this looked like a bit of dry skin.. now the skin seems to be peeing off. I've had this horse only 2 weeks and he was fine.. came from a home with fly system vs my stables with no system.. I used lots of fly spray.. the one with lanolin and I went heavy,. too heavy? the owner of my ranch says she's seen this before.. folluculits type of thing and the treatment she learned from a racetrack is to spray the area with very diluted bleach/water and soak brushes in bleach as it is contagious? any thoughts? should a vet be called? I switched to a water based fly spray and wont go as heavy as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
It looks like when the nose peels but I've never seen it so widespread.

Due to how widespread it is I would contact a vet. Could you email your vet the same pictures?

I would not spray bleach, no matter how diluted, onto skin. There are many anti fungus sprays that are more gentle.

I would treat is as contagious until you know it's not. I don't think it is but better safe than sorry.

Actually now I'm starting to feel like I've seen this before from flyspray? Can you bath him?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
It looks like your fly spray 'blistered' him. What you are seeing is called a 'scurf". Just wash it good and don't use fly spray for a while. If it clears up, either change sprays or let him do without. Sprays with oils in them are a lot worse to scurf a horse or he can be sensitive to another ingredient in it.

We use a concentrated fly spray that we make up in 1 gallon jugs. We add Citronella oil with Cedar oil in it (like used for torches). We have a couple of horses that do not tolerate it so we just use cheap ole Bronco on them.

I would not further irritate the skin with bleach. I do not think it is a fungus at all.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
If you use an oil based spray, just lightly mist the horse. Don't SOAK him! You want it on the hair, not the skin.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I'd say easy on the fly spray as well. It's actually a toxin that we use to keep the flies off but in small doses won't harm the horses.

My friend's two kids (7yrs old) actually almost killed their pony. They thought they were being nice and soaked this poor little 12 hand pony to the bone in fly spray. They had used a few bottles. Pony started acting funny and vet was called out immediately once my friend figured out what happened. They had to wash him multiple times in dawn dish soap to get all of the fly spray off of him. He was fine but those kids got in a boatload of trouble.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My horse got similar peeling around her bag this spring when I rubbed oil with citronella essential oil mixed in on her bare skin to try to keep the gnats off. I just left her without for a few days and let it clear up.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Oil based flysprays need to be SHAKEN before you use them. Otherwise you don't spray a mixture but some full strength chemicals. I have seen several horses scalded this way. Do you shake the bottle well before using? Most people don't.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I'm starting to get scared by all the things we are doing to our horses...

If it's not horse approved skip it, if it's not something you would use on your child, skip it. Use as directed.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Yep. Fly spray scurf. I have some horses who will scurf when I use gordens horse and pony spray. Mist the horse lightly and let dry. It isnt supposed to touch the skin, just the hair. All that will wash/scurf/brush off in a few days to a week

1 - 11 of 11 Posts