The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the ones you tie yourself, the pre-tied kind with the pleats, like this:

My daughter is handy with a sewing machine and would like to make some. We can't really get any like this locally so it would be great for her to make her own and be able to add some nice trims. But for the life of me, I can't find sewing patterns anywhere! Willing to pay for a pattern, just can't find one. Anyone know where I can get one?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pinterest?

·
Administrator
36,189 Posts
I would think you could make a pattern quite easily using the basic measurements if you can’t find any.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Check Suitability patterns or Lola Gentry. I sewed for an equestrian drill team and those are the only two companies that I know of who have Western and English sewing patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Did you check Etsy? I got my Dickie pattern off of Etsy for less than $10 (this exact pattern for $4Suitability Huntseat Dickie Pattern). I bet it could be adapted to make a stock tie. The hardest part of making the dickie was getting the collar right.

If you can't find a pattern, I'd be willing to try my hand at creating a pattern for your from my Dickie pattern and the stock tie I have.

Reactions: Palfrey

·
Registered
554 Posts
SuitAbility If you check this out, you'll be able to search a couple of different sites to find a pattern or perhaps download a pattern via PDF. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check Suitability patterns or Lola Gentry. I sewed for an equestrian drill team and those are the only two companies that I know of who have Western and English sewing patterns.

Tried both, cannot find a pattern for a pre-tied stock tie in the style I posted above.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SuitAbility If you check this out, you'll be able to search a couple of different sites to find a pattern or perhaps download a pattern via PDF. Good luck!
Have searched high and low. They don't seem to have a pattern for a stock tie. Weird, because I feel like this should be pretty straighforward to make.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you check Etsy? I got my Dickie pattern off of Etsy for less than $10 (this exact pattern for $4Suitability Huntseat Dickie Pattern). I bet it could be adapted to make a stock tie. The hardest part of making the dickie was getting the collar right.

If you can't find a pattern, I'd be willing to try my hand at creating a pattern for your from my Dickie pattern and the stock tie I have.
Yes, looking on Etsy. Lots of stock ties to sell, just no stock tie patterns even though I'm searching for stock tie patterns. I would PAY for a pattern! Bought fabric and everything. I don't even care if it's as expensive to make one as to buy one, because she can make lots more and decorate them as she likes. Given the utter and complete lack of options where I live (literally, not a single tack store even sells the traditional tie ones), I'd like for her to have the ability to make one herself. But it has to be like the one I posted above. A bib and collar, them a ruffle with a kind of band going across the top. There are some very nice ones for sale, but I cannot for the life of me find a pattern.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a pretty one, and gives a side view:

Even a video would be super-helpful. But not the one where the lady makes the old-fashioned tie-on ones that criss-cross in the front. My daughter doesn't want that kind.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Yes, looking on Etsy. Lots of stock ties to sell, just no stock tie patterns even though I'm searching for stock tie patterns. I would PAY for a pattern! Bought fabric and everything. I don't even care if it's as expensive to make one as to buy one, because she can make lots more and decorate them as she likes. Given the utter and complete lack of options where I live (literally, not a single tack store even sells the traditional tie ones), I'd like for her to have the ability to make one herself. But it has to be like the one I posted above. A bib and collar, them a ruffle with a kind of band going across the top. There are some very nice ones for sale, but I cannot for the life of me find a pattern.
I'll look at my current stock tie and see what I can draw up. Making and selling stock ties would be lucrative business once she gets it down.

Reactions: Acadianartist

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe buy a used one in the style she likes and take it apart to trace a pattern? I’ve done that before on items I couldn’t find a pattern for.

Yes, if I can find one that will ship here in reasonable time. I'm in Canada so sometimes it's a bit complicated.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,122 Posts
Not a pattern, but as a non-sewing-person I ordered a stock tie off this site and it was affordable and GORGEOUS! Shipped quickly too. Now I just need an occasion to wear it. 😄

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,122 Posts
Not a pattern, but as a non-sewing-person I ordered a stock tie off this site and it was affordable and GORGEOUS! Shipped quickly too. Now I just need an occasion to wear it. 😄
I got this one, ready-tied, in white, without the scrunchie, btw.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
Having much fun looking at period costume clothing...such beauty in the designs...
All are patterns to make...

This is mens stock ties...but investigate carefully cause not sure the era is correct.
I will stop making you nuts Acadian...the more I look, the more I see that might fit her needs.. :)
🐴

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
@Acadianartist I sent you a message with tracings of my stock tie, as well as pictures from all different angles, and a very ROUGH description of the process to sew it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts