The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahh cold weather. 20 degrees, a little snow on the ground, a stiff wind, and a lunatic where there used to be a mild mannered horse. I was out riding my horse in the snow today. He's been getting more curious and bold about going out alone as he ages, but still has his moments. He's normally a saint and basically doesn't have mean bone in his body. Today, more than a few times, he pulled that spook, rear, spin, bolt, buck crap that TB's are so good at. It wasn't anything big enough to put me on the ground, and he's fairly easy to bring back to neutral, but all the drama just seems so redundant!! Every freakin year when it gets cold, he turns into a nut! (insert big eye roll here) I guess it's not so much frustrating as it is somewhat entertaining at this point because I always know it's coming. Now if I can just keep my horse between me and the ground until about late March, I should be good to go. Anyone else having a little extra spice in their rides lately?

·
Registered
796 Posts
My mare is like that too once winter comes! I swear having a few feet of snow on the ground is like being in a whole new world to her. She doesn't just spook- she bolts, I try to stop her, she gets mad at me for trying to stop her, bucks, and every once in a while I hit the ground. I hate winter :( Then once spring comes shes an angel again.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
YES haha my horses are both nuts from all the snow & ice. they arent running around outside as much as they need to. haha ive been lunging my mare before i ride her & shes been squealing like CRAZY ! its kind of cute, but when she takes off bucking, im glad im not on her ;)

i hope we ALL stay in the saddle through this phase ! lol

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad I'm not alone. At least it doesn't hurt to get tossed into a snow bank! I think I'm going to go up there with a camera and try to get some buck & fart action shots this year.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Hehehehe I'm just coming into summer, horses are all lazy when it's mega mega hot :p
But yep we get the same thing, mine all go stupid when the weather turns, particuarly coming into spring! And we're not lucky enough to have snow to break our fall either when horsie decides to get his back up... smack straight into rocky mud, lovely!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ahh cold weather. 20 degrees, a little snow on the ground, a stiff wind, and a lunatic where there used to be a mild mannered horse. I was out riding my horse in the snow today. He's been getting more curious and bold about going out alone as he ages, but still has his moments. He's normally a saint and basically doesn't have mean bone in his body. Today, more than a few times, he pulled that spook, rear, spin, bolt, buck crap that TB's are so good at. It wasn't anything big enough to put me on the ground, and he's fairly easy to bring back to neutral, but all the drama just seems so redundant!! Every freakin year when it gets cold, he turns into a nut! (insert big eye roll here) I guess it's not so much frustrating as it is somewhat entertaining at this point because I always know it's coming. Now if I can just keep my horse between me and the ground until about late March, I should be good to go. Anyone else having a little extra spice in their rides lately?
I am sooo glad you posted this! I thought I was the only one with a lunatic. I just rode my gelding today after a week and a half of raining an freezing cold temps and even though he was longed every day and also hand walked every day and beforehand, boy did he go go go. My trainer was in middle of arena and I began to trot him and he just continued to go superfast...I heard my trainer saying, "okay, slow it down...slow it down now...okay how bout you just walk him now". Then he darted left and began to gallop and then stopped. It was like...helloooooo, there's someone on your back you freak! Even after just the first day it was cold he was a total idiot on the ground, practically dragging me around and lost all his good ground manners. I want my good, safe gentle, quiet good boy back. I hate this cold weather so much. I sort of like it in the summer when they are too hot to do more than you ask. That's right where I want him and it seems like the longer he gets turned out the more hyper he becomes. Argggh!

·
Registered
925 Posts
My mare's usually pretty sane when we ride- other than being a speed demon, but that happens year round- she actually runs around and goofs off in winter more than in summer. She's figured out that in winter, if you move around, it keeps you warm, in summer, it makes you hot. Smart girl. :)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Glad At least it doesn't hurt to get tossed into a snow bank!
i would imagine it would hurt to land on the ice though ! it certainly does when i slip going out to the field !

·
Banned
1,390 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Haha, Dougie is defintly more hyper than usual in the chilly weather. Haven't ridden him in the snow yet, so that should be interesting. O_O

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh, hell, yahoos aplenty here! He bucks, kicks, spins, does the drop stop like he's a reining horse, chases the dogs, snorts, whinneys, just about every muscle is in full action! Fun and funny to watch, but he has been really good under saddle... after about 30 mins. of longing! The heck I'm getting on a keg of lit gunpowder!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
My horse is a grump when winter comes. Like today it took me 10 minutes to get him to pick up one foot because "He didn't want too!" haha. What a jerk! lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
LOL mine, too! He;s usually good with his feet, except one that he has always been a bit reluctant to offer, but does...eventually! He suffered an abscess recently (God's little reminder that your life is going too well lately...) and my hubby and I have been doing the soaks, betadine, wraps and duct tape every other day. So, after going through two or three buckets of hot water and epsom salts (horse kicked each one over whenever I turned away for a moment...******!) , my husband would lift the hoof and I would swiftly and with exquisite grace (read "trying not to dump THIS one all over all of us") whisk the bucket out of the way, while the horse would obediently stand on all three feet, nimbly holding the affected hoof high in the air (read "my hubby's face was turning a startling purple color as he strained to hold up all 1200 lbs of horse, since THAT foot was the ONLY foot he could possibly use at this very moment, and groaning-I think he may have done severe internal injury- through gritted teeth "hurryup!!!!!!!!") patiently, while I carefully and with great agility squirted Betadine into the wound, packed gauze into the wound, deftly wrapped several layers of fresh, clean vet wrap around the hoof, and enclosed the entire thing in several smooth layers of duct tape (read "grabbed nearest towel-ish thing available that was at least this side of clean-not even trying for sanitary-while holding a syringe filled with betadine clamped firmly in mouth, dribbbling betadine down chin, neck and chestal area, grabbing syringe, shooting betadine all over stall, frantically squirting whatever is left in syringe in gaping hole, while hubby is now hanging on to entire leg at this point, since horse has felt the betadine hit the abscess pocket and IT BURNS so he has decided that a fast exit STRAIGHT UP would be a good bet, and hubby is now knee deep in muck from two or three dumped water buckets, horse pee-what better time to go?-and poop-ditto-and sliding all over while still savagely clinging to the leg while I try to make a boot out of duct tape, trying hard to find the end that is super-glued to the rest of the tape, finally getting a teeny tiny corner of the tape loose, using my teeth to tear it from the roll, and succeeding on getting a Barbie doll belt sized strip which I triumphantly adhere to an overturned feed pan and try valiently to get the roll to offer up at least ONE normal sized strip dammit!, look over at hubby, who is now on his belly in foot deep muck, head bent at an alarming angle to keep his nose and mouth above muck level, still grasping hoof as horse decides to shift his rear around 180 degrees to see what I'M doing, husband dragged along on a wave of goo, I manage to adhere the entire roll of duct tape to my face, so end up with a facial peel in getting it loose-it's OK, saved myself $1500 on the dermatologist and hey! Won't have to tweeze those stubborn chin hairs for at least six months, and hey, the scars will fade if I stay out of the sun for the rest of my life-manage to get something resembling a kindergartner's attempt at making an ashtray out of playdoh, which is still firmly attached to my fingers, and my nails are getting slowly detached from my hands one by one, hay, save money on manicures-sobbing as I painfully rip the duct-tape-who invented this stuff, anyway!?-And who knew hair even grew there?-away, triumphantly holding the "boot" above like a medal of honor, just as hubby has lost the endurance challenge, and the infected hoof inches closer and closer to the crested wave of goop caused by hubby's chest as he rode the swiveling horse hinney around the stall, and I make a lunge in slow motion shouting "nnnnnnnooooooooooo" as I clear the stall door, shoving the silvery boot ahead of me as I slide into place, catching the lowering hoof just as it edged into the muck, slipping it on as the hoof went fetlock deep, using both hands to glue the boot into place, and slamming face first into the top of hubby's head as I continued sliding through the stall out the paddock door, ending up on my back in a muddy paddock.
"Same time tomorrow, honey?"

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My trainer growing up used to call it "HAPPY FEET". I just label my horses, "Wintertime so and so" when they get that way. Yep, he was "Wintertime Parker" today... meaning total maniac. I have found that with certain horses earplugs are a gift from heaven above!

·
Registered
569 Posts
GoldRush i would just like to say that your story brought on the best laughing fit ive had in ages....

Thank goodness for texas weather...we get freezing cold only for about two months of the year....the rest is mid forties an higher lol all i notice is that my boy gets more energetic...I random buck when going into a lope...i few i wanna go this way not that way hard head moments...but nothing like what has been described here lol im just lucky...

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Boy, I don't know what the deal was with Dobe today. He was acting like he used to when he was still a greenie. Odd thing is, this is the first warm day we have had in weeks. I tacked him up and took him for a nice easy ride around the big square (roads that are about 3 miles round trip) and he did okay for the first bit. Although he nearly jumped out from under me when a piece of styrofome bumped the fence beside him. The trouble started when we started coming back through town. A flag would pop and he would spook, a kid would run to a car and he would spook, and the worst was the empty cattle truck that was sitting on the side of the road. He has seen thousands of them but for some reason, the one today was going to eat him for sure. His head was up, he was prancy, he was breathing hard and shaking. I could even feel his heartbeat through the saddle. I don't know what his deal was, he hasn't acted like this in years. Hopefully it will go better tomorrow. :?

·
Registered
822 Posts
There's a definite difference in Thumper! Sometimes I wonder if someone stole him and put a silly little stinker in his place :). He's been prancing around like crazy when I ride, and he threatens to rear or buck at least twice a ride :S. He has this silly little canter where he hunches his back up and it's more up and down than forward. I'm sure I look really silly riding him! Anyway, it's nice to know that other people are in the same situation with their horses :). I think I just need to adjust my riding to deal with his other self :).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just had THE most perfect day...weather was IDEAL, warm, sunny, a beautiful light breeze...and I couldn't ride! :( But Sun is doing so well, his hoof is healing fast, and I have him on a senior supplement feed, so he is at top form...But we got to enjoy being together while I raked and did yardwork, and Sun was right next to me, nibbling grass, and coming over for hugs and pets. It was a sensational day, even without the ride!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Oh yeah, I definitely feel you guys. Zeus decided today that he would ignore all the back to basics work we've been doing, and how well he's been lately, and turn into an airhead. We were going along in a nice canter and he wanted to run, so I get out of the saddle a bit and urge him on. We have a nice little gallop, and than I sit and ask for him to come back to me. He ignores everything my body, seat, and hands are telling him and plunges onward. I half-halt, sit tall and deep, "block" him with my seat, nothing. Soooo, it was time to stop asking and shut him down. (We were in his rubber d snaffle, so it was a nice gentle bit to begin with. Shouldn't matter though, he knows what I was asking regardless of what bit was in his mouth.) Needless to say, he was not pleased. The minute we slowed enough for him to do so he sprung into the air, all four feet off the ground and cow hopped four or five times before stopping. I had him backing up so fast I'm sure his head was spinning. ANYWAY. Uneventful ride after that. Worked on his whoa. He was better by the end, but not perfect so that what we'll be doing tomorrow.

Silly horses.
:wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.