The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a re-rider and I’m riding 2 horses at a friend’s barn. One is a big boy warmblood and the other is an OTTB with high withers. The AP saddle she has for the OTTB isn’t great and I’d like to get my own. Is there a unicorn saddle I can buy and use on both horses (and any future ones she brings in)? I’m out of the loop bc I haven’t seriously ridden since the 90s.

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Short answer is no, not likely, if they're different shapes. Don't know what a unicorn saddle is(mythical??) but if the horses were very similar in shape & size, you might find one that works, and a treeless saddle may work, if it has good spinal clearance, or a Wintec or some such with an adjustable gullet, so you can change the gullet for the different horses & it may work ok.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've had good luck with an Collegiate Senior Event Saddle fitting many horses. I managed to use it successfully on a round-backed Morgan, a high-wither half-Arabian, several typical Arabians, a stocky Paint, a greenbean-stalk QH, and more. I have alternated between 3 gullets out of the 5 or 6 gullet options. You can find one of these saddles from $300-600 used on Ebay and tack sale pages.

I personally do not like the Wintec Convertible Models.

I know people that have had a lot of success with Thorowgood adjustable saddles (Kent & Masters is the same company and offers all leather, convertible saddles if you prefer).

But in my experience, making one saddle fit multiple horses, you need to have some different saddle pads on hand. I have a sheepskin halfpad, several regular English pads, and a western pad that all have been used with my Collegiate (most often the halfpad being used more than anything).

Reactions: Interstellar

·
Super Moderator
12,677 Posts
I found the same as ClearDonkey. A Collegiate Senior Event fit multiple horses of a wider variety than the other saddles I had available. I did have to do some padding for some but as long as it was not too narrow I could work with it.

Going from a broad WB tot a high withered TB may be more of a challenge and it may not be possible for one saddle to fit both.

·
Registered
241 Posts
First off - welcome back to riding! Good for you for - literally - getting back on the horse.

Second, I would look for either a jump saddle or a dressage saddle, depending on what you intend to do. AP's put riders in really bad positions and cause bad habits to form quickly. It took so long for me coming out of a Wintec AP as a kid to fix my position into something correct and conducive to proper riding.

It all depends on your budget. I'm a huge advocate for Voltaire - it's all I ride in and if you can find one second hand amazing! Their pro panel fits a lot of different horses, it's made for that. High End Used Saddles is a great website and they have good deals on quality tack. You can also rent the Butet Practice Saddle from them! If anyone wants to really work on their eq.

I understand, however, that a $4000 used saddle isn't in everyone's budget!
The college I rode for had a lot of Dover Circuit close contact/Eq saddles and they rode very nice as well. They obviously wore well, too, considering they were used every day all day.

Make a budget for yourself, and see what brands have good condition used saddles for that.

As for fit:

Do some research on different brand's paneling system as well, and figure out what works best for your horses. Fit the widest horse you'll ride and then pad up from there. I have been riding in Ogilvy half pads for 6+ years and one of my mentors has been using them for even longer. They're great for me because I broke my pelvis in college and the extra cush is nice on bad arthritis days. My horses love them because it helps absorb shock on their backs and spines, especially over 3'6"+ jumps. I highly recommend Ogilvy as a brand. My original half pad from 6 years ago is still going strong and I use it on 2 horses daily or more.

I don't like wool flocking on saddles for A) multiple horses and B) casual riders. I think the upkeep =/= the 'perfect fit' it gives. Foam panels are a much better option and I love them on my saddles. Not going back to wool anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Second, I would look for either a jump saddle or a dressage saddle, depending on what you intend to do. AP's put riders in really bad positions and cause bad habits to form quickly. It took so long for me coming out of a Wintec AP as a kid to fix my position into something correct and conducive to proper riding.
Yeah, I have never felt comfortable or right in an All Purpose saddle. A dressage is comfortable for everything I do - I am a trail rider & I jump logs on the trails, as well as doing 'Extreme Cowboy Racing'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts