The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a paint colt from a friend and she said the parents are registered but the colt is not registered.

I dont know the old owners name or anything.

Is there a way to find who his parents are through dna testing and possibly getting him registered too?

Or would i be better off just using the pinto registry ?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
If you can't find the owners or at least the registered names of the parents, there is probably nothing you can do about registering with the APHA.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me why people don't register a perfectly register-able horse... It doesn't cost that much to do it at birth. ): Sorry, they only do DNA testing for parentage verification, but they can't run it through a database "CSI" style. Try Pinto? Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
27,061 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me why people don't register a perfectly register-able horse... It doesn't cost that much to do it at birth. ): Sorry, they only do DNA testing for parentage verification, but they can't run it through a database "CSI" style. Try Pinto? Good luck!
Most of the time I think the seller is lying about having any knowledge of who the actually parents are. They use it as a sneaky selling point. The horse is form registered sire and mare... it's PURE w/ great lines... yet they never give the names...

OR.. it costs money to register a horse so a backyard breeder will leave it up to a buyer who may not care about papers... if they have no intention of breeding or showing in the breed shows....

And... sometimes the papers just plain get lost. So many scenarios.

I actually bought a horse that "came from registered parents". I tried to get the names of the parents because I wanted to register him... the seller never did come off it....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
And some times the breeder is just lazy!

I've had three (still have one) that should have been registered but weren't, got the names of sire and dam on one (I think he may not have been registered because he was a cremello), and saw enough of the pedigree on the other two (weanling colts), people were selling out I guess and these were their last foals (I didn't buy from the breeder, I bought from someone that got them in a package deal, he said the breeders didn't bother because they weren't going to get anything for them anyway).

And then you get the lost papers, bought one horse that wasn't advertised as registered and they didn't have the papers (so no selling ploy), but I recognized him as a horse I'd nearly bought a few years earlier and at that time he was reg. APHA.

And last year I sold an APHA gelding, and a few months back saw him on FB with a 'does anyone know this horse' because apparently his papers had now been lost (I'm pretty annoyed about that), I was able to give her his reg. name and correct age (apparently he'd lost a few years since I had him).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.