The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for an opinion...is this saddle too dark oil color to show in APHA? Not looking to go to the worlds, but showing some smaller APHA and WHAO shows in Western Pleasure/Horsemanship. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
With DA. I am not sure what difference the color of your saddle makes, unless it looks horrible on your horse! If everyone else has something different, when YOU win, they will all switch to what you have!

You MUST show us a picture of it on your horse!!

Nancy

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
If you were competing at the World show levels, and if you're in that tough age group from 18-35 years old, then I might suggest being more concerned with whatever is in fashion. Really though, even at the World, I'd be more concerned with having my saddle really clean and well oiled, that it fit me & the horse and was comfortable for both of us. A good Western saddle can cost a fortune, so I expect mine to last me a very long time with good use. It won't always be THE most currant style but good quality is never totally out of style.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
IMO, you'll be fine. A good judge is looking for the best horse & rider, not judging the color of your tack.

That said, you already know you will likely be in the minority by not using light oil tack, so spend extra time putting together an outfit which really complements you and your horse because you will stand out a bit more. Make sure your bridle & reins match your saddle as closely as possible - that goes for leather color and silver pattern & type (silver plate doesn't shine the same as higher quality silver, but that's more noticeable under arena lights than outside, IMO.)

I saw a few black saddles on black based horses at Paint World in the last few weeks, and there were a few dark oil ones in trail. Western Pleasure was nearly exclusively light oil, of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO, you'll be fine. A good judge is looking for the best horse & rider, not judging the color of your tack.

That said, you already know you will likely be in the minority by not using light oil tack, so spend extra time putting together an outfit which really complements you and your horse because you will stand out a bit more. Make sure your bridle & reins match your saddle as closely as possible - that goes for leather color and silver pattern & type (silver plate doesn't shine the same as higher quality silver, but that's more noticeable under arena lights than outside, IMO.)

I saw a few black saddles on black based horses at Paint World in the last few weeks, and there were a few dark oil ones in trail. Western Pleasure was nearly exclusively light oil, of course.
I saw that too! Some black saddles...cool seeing some people step outside the 'norm'. Thanks all for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
That's about the color of mine and I have never had anyone mention it to me. Just keep it clean and perform well and the judge won't be judging you on the shade of your saddle but the quality of your ride :)

Have fun showing!

Reactions: brodiebrooks

·
Super Moderator
27,072 Posts
While breed shows ARE fad based. I've noticed that so many people use so many different types of tack. There was a girl that used to bring a plain bay horse that was only around 15 hands to the shows, she had a regular everyday western saddle, no silver. She cleaned up every class... so if you and your horse are good... it really doesn't matter...

By the way... I love the saddle.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
What will get you brownie points with the judge is looking like you, the horse and all your gear just stepped out of the dry cleaners. Right down to having someone shine your boots and check the bit for slobber goo just before you enter the ring.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I like the look of that saddle. I hate all the light colored saddles and I hate that everyone has to keep up with the fad. I like the fact that people are smart enough to know that it is about the horse and the rider not the color of the tack. I think it is most important to have it look good on your horse, that it is clean and fits both the horse and you and you will be just fine.

That is one thing I like about the Saddlebred shows, the saddles don't change much. I have a saddle I used 20-25 years ago and it is still in style. ha ha same for the bridles too, really.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The light oil saddles have been popular in AQHA & APHA for a good 20 years, too. I mean, I bought one in 1994. Hard to call that a "fad," lol!

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Actually it's a marketing ploy. Gotta keep making changes so people can have the latest. They keep piling on the metal and soon it will take two men to saddle a horse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.