The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little Appaloosa Shire cross mare but she dosn't show any appy characteristic. I am in the process of getting her registered but have run into some issues. I have a copy of her dams papers but i haven't revived the cover report from her previous owner. I can get her DNA tested but here is where i have questions. I know her mother is characteristic appaloosa but since my mare isn't is it worth getting her DNA tested? Will the appy gene show up? She is 3 now and hasn't shown any sines of varnishing is their still a chance she may? trying to learn as much as i can but really not sure where to start so if anyone can point me towards literature on appaloosa genitics it would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If the stud was solid you are likely out of luck. The only way to be guaranteed spots is to breed to a few spot or snowcap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I really don't care if she changes color or not. I'm more interested in is it worth getting her genetic tested for registry? Will any trace of appy show up? her full sister is starting to show sines of varnishing at now 5 but I'm happy solid or not. I'm more looking to find out if genetically she will carry the gene.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
She may or may not varnish later. There is no predicting unless you want to test her.

Where are you trying to register her? I know the ApHC won't accept her.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appaloosa Sport Horse Association and again just wondering the chances of her carrying a appy gene dormant or not i don't care is she varnishes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.