The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had someone on here suggest ACV for my horse because he has a couple bald spots for old bumps and I was HOPING someone would know how to get the hair to regrow. So I did a lot of researching and reading up on it and have found LOTS and LOTS of great feed back on it and also all the benefits from it! I am going to start this weekend mixing in a little with my geldings grain. Does anyone else on here use it and had successful results with it? PLEASE SHARE!

The Benefits of Using Apple Cider Vinegar for Your Horses | Suite101.com

Apple Cider Vinegar for Horses - MUST READ!

--- just an example of the product people have suggested

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
It's stinky? LoL

It's actually in my mare's gluclosamine/chondriotin/msm supplement. But I haven't read any articles on what else is could be used for.

Thanks for the reading material tonight. :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I've used it to combat thrush before and it does pretty well for that (it's the acid). Also use it as a preventative measure when I clean feet if there's a situation that puts any of my horses in a weight, moddy area. Tea tree oil does a good job too (back an area with oil soaked cotton or gause. Tea tree oil is also great for things like scratches (rub it on the scratches). Not something I ever dealt with until I got horses with heavy feathering. And while I've never had anything but very small cases (you really had to feel for them) the tea tree oil knocked it right out in a couple of days.

Reactions: Skyseternalangel

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've used it for thrush, rainrot, and just as a general immune booster. It works great! I tried so many things to get rid of his thrush, and after only a week of spraying it on his feet, the thrush was gone! He gets it in his water every day and loves it! It also has given him a nice shiny, soft coat!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I use it for thrush and as a general supplement for immunity and coat, adding it to feed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So happy to hear you all have had postive results! I can't wait to try it! I will have to keep you posted!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Just make sure you get natural apple cider vinegar (I'm lucky - a friend of mine supplys me with homemade organic ACV. She says - the hardest part is to wait until the cider turns into vinegar, lol) - they might be a little more expensive, but it's worth it. The cheap ones often are just artificially apple cider scented vinegars, that won't do much good.

Reactions: HorseDreams

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to a store with an organic section tomorrow hoping they have some... Otherwise, I will order from the link I listed above on amazon.

How much do you feed? Most of the reading I have done states anywhere from 15mls - 1/2cup. I was going to do 30mls to start and maybe go up to 1/4 cup (60mls)... What do you think? Too much? Too little? Ok?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
When I introduce something completely new in my horse's nutrition, I start with the smallest amounts. So, when I started my horse on ACV, I begun with 1 teaspoon (5mls) and then slowly went up to 20mls - changing the amount for about 1 time a week, until the new supplement has been fully introduced in a month's time. I will maybe give him more during the summer months, when flys, gadflys and mosquitoes attack - I've heard it helps the horse to cope better with their bites, by making his sweat smell not as appealing to the bugs.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
When I introduce something completely new in my horse's nutrition, I start with the smallest amounts. So, when I started my horse on ACV, I begun with 1 teaspoon (5mls) and then slowly went up to 20mls - changing the amount for about 1 time a week, until the new supplement has been fully introduced in a month's time. I will maybe give him more during the summer months, when flys, gadflys and mosquitoes attack - I've heard it helps the horse to cope better with their bites, by making his sweat smell not as appealing to the bugs.
I'm not sure it helps prevent the bugs from biting (it might), but may help them cope from it being a bit of a sedative.
The colonial partisans who fought the British during our revolution and operated out the swamps of SC use to mix vinegar with their water to help cope with all the blood suckers (there's a large variety here). Not sure if they gave any to their horses though :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm not sure it helps prevent the bugs from biting (it might), but may help them cope from it being a bit of a sedative.
The colonial partisans who fought the British during our revolution and operated out the swamps of SC use to mix vinegar with their water to help cope with all the blood suckers (there's a large variety here). Not sure if they gave any to their horses though :)
Apple cider vinegar mixed with water can also keep you better hydrated in hot weather. It is call "farm hand" drink. My brother use to work in a living museum where they would live and work like they did in the 1800's and this is what he drank everyday when he was plowing fields with his oxen.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I spray it onto Casey's hooves as a prevention and treatment for thrush, but I don't feed it.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I've always used it on my older horses, great for dealing with or preventing arthritis. I mix it in Bandit's feed every evening.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.