The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On any forum I've been on, there is alot of venting about our horses bad behaviour or something annoying they do, which I can totally understand as I've done enough of it myself buuuuuut I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where everyone thinks of something POSITIVE about their horses and posts it. I think we forget (I know I do anyway) how EXTREMELY lucky we are to own and/or work with horses. Some people would do anything for a chance to just pet or brush a horse.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
You are so right. I look forward to getting up in the morning for a cup of coffee and their morning feeding. No matter what the weather, the barn is at least dry and to hear their nickering when they see me coming, and their warm sweet breath asking for a nuzzle is worth everything.

I've owned horses for 30 years and it never gets old or tiresome. I am one of the lucky ones who has them at home. Some day it will get to a point where riding is no longer feasible, but I'd like to think that I would still own them just for the joy and the smiles they bring me.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I appreciate and love Sunny for so many reasons... The whinny greeting I get when she sees me walking around the pasture. The way she behaves for me, and noone else. (Haha.) Our mutual respect. Her beautiful, extended trot that she throws around the pasture, that I can't wait to ride. Her quirky personality. The way she takes everything I throw at her in stride... I can really go on forever. I love my Sunbun. <3
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Great thread idea!!!

Toby Keith is willing to do anything I ask of him. He has such great manners and a one-of-a-kind personality. He whinnies at me every morning and evening when it's feeding time :]. I think it's the cutest thing ever!

Snickers is my little cuddle buddy! He loooooves lovins. He also takes wonderful care of kids when they ride him. My mom is his favorite person in the world :]

Bud is my gentle giant. He's 16.2 hands. He's 20 now and has been used to carry doubles (adults and their tiny kids) at the stables I work at since he was 4. Once I had to carry someone's 3-year-old daughter double with me on Bud while I had a 4-year-old boy on a horse behind me that I had on a lead rope. One of my arms was around the little girl holding the reins, and the other arm was behind me holding the lead rope attached to the other horse. The little girl even fell asleep! I couldn't have pulled that off on any other horse but Bud :].

·
Banned
5,892 Posts
My favorite thing Nico does is when he gets into trouble, he thinks it over and then sticks his head in my chest. Im sure its just him being Nico, but I like to think of it as an apology! He also does this slow motion turning of his head. I have a video of him doing it...I just think its too cute. Oh, and his snip...we play a game where I try to touch it and he runs away...but then trots back taunting me with it.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Great thread!

I'll add I love my mare Freyja for the simple life lesson she has taught me about appreciating what is taken for granted. Being a rescue horse - Freyja didn't know what a cookie or treat was, had to learn to enjoy her carrots or apples, didn't understand the freedom of being in a pasture - when I'd turn her out she'd stand there looking confused and then try to follow me. She was treated so poorly, yet has such a loving, kind disposition, in spite of everything. She may always be a pasture pet - I can't be sure at this point if she will ever be consistently riding sound - but just watching how much enjoyment she gets out of a good scratchy roll in the dirt or the lazy contentment of munching a patch of clover, opened my eyes a lot about appreciating life in general, and for that I am forever grateful to her for the impact she has made on my life.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Great thread!

I'll add I love my mare Freyja for the simple life lesson she has taught me about appreciating what is taken for granted. Being a rescue horse - Freyja didn't know what a cookie or treat was, had to learn to enjoy her carrots or apples, didn't understand the freedom of being in a pasture - when I'd turn her out she'd stand there looking confused and then try to follow me. She was treated so poorly, yet has such a loving, kind disposition, in spite of everything. She may always be a pasture pet - I can't be sure at this point if she will ever be consistently riding sound - but just watching how much enjoyment she gets out of a good scratchy roll in the dirt or the lazy contentment of munching a patch of clover, opened my eyes a lot about appreciating life in general, and for that I am forever grateful to her for the impact she has made on my life.

That's so precious!! She sounds like a sweetie :]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Love this idea to share all the goodies...let's see where to begin..
Goldy(RIP)my first pony, he taught me so much and I kept him in my life until he was taken to heaven,, he was 36 when he passed..
Quad- 22 yrs old.. QH/Appy cross.he picked me out when he was 6 months old- so we are partners for life.. he loves to go and gets sooo excited when he hears the trailer, I can open the gate and he goes straight to the trailer..
Fancy-22 years old- QH. she came into my life as a 3 yr. old.. she is my girl and my girl only.. makes me feel so special.
Bella- 12 yr old QH,, She has only been with us for about 2 years but she has nuzzled her way into our hearts... she has such a sweet personality and willingness to do what ever we ask.
Bitsy- 1 yr , she was Bella's surprise package.. she is going to be a real handful, but she is still quite the lady.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sissie- Paint 7 yrs old, here family had to find a home for her and foal due to medical issues.. she took a while to warm up to us, but she loves attention and and is usually one of the leaders of the herd when we whistle for them. she loves attention.. Tigger her filly 1 yr old,, she is attention crazy.. she loves being touched all over.. she loves to whisper secrets in your ear...
last but not least.. is
Dandy.. 4 yr. old QH.. He is a sweetheart with a heart of gold, who follows us around like a puppy. He is trying at times, just because he likes things to go his way and can throw a tizzy fit when it doesn't go his way
But all in all , I get a warm feeling inside watching them in the pasture, get a tickle in my stomach when they give me a hug and nuzzle.. They just make life so much richer.. I feel very lucky to have them in our family..

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Great thread idea! Thanks for sharing! I'll simply add that horses have so much to teach us about life that it'd be scary if it wasn't wrapped up in their beautiful, fragrant, charming selves!

·
Registered
803 Posts
My boy is so many things to me. I was the second person to ever see or touch him, and at that moment he wormed his ornery butt into my heart and now I can't even remember what life was like without him. Being the pushy, stubborn, EXTREMELY smart boy that he is, he has helped me to be more confident both around horses and with people. I have always been a rather quiet reserved person unless with family of very close friends. It took a lot of work for me to be able to be his leader, but we worked it out because I wanted to do him justice. He has never failed to either make me laugh or give me big sloppy grass kisses and a hug when I am down. He is even protective when I don't feel good. I would rather sleep in a stall with him than sell my baby turd boy.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I appreciate my horse Lakota for teaching me how to forgive and move on. He was abused and he didn't have to trust me...he had no reason to believe I wasn't going to hurt him. Even though he is a little wary at times of me, he puts a lot of trust in me and lets me do things that he wouldnt let me do if he didn't trust me. He's also taught me a good thing never waits and that you should listen to your heart. If I would have gotten stubborn and said, "no I dont need another horse" instead of saying what my heart was feeling. I never would have ended up with my gentle giant. <3

·
Registered
633 Posts
Rocky's taught me patience. He was my first training project, and though I've taught him a lot, he's taught me so much more. We had to learn to work together. Now he's my partner. We're both learning new things right now and he's always right there with me. That's what I love about him. He tries so hard for me. I'd never had that special bond with a horse until I got Rocky. He does things for me he never did for anyone else. It feels so good to have that love and devotion from him. Mommy loves you, Spooker =)

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I don't care what anyone else says, Victor's a pretty cool horse. Yes, we get on each other's nerves, but I still love him at the end of the day and he forgives me every single time I mess up. And Norman is the perfect snuggly teddy bear. He doesn't care how much I fuss over him, and like Victor, he never holds a grudge. I don't know what I'd do without my lovelies. :wink:

·
Registered
47 Posts
What I love about Pinto my horse(I was young when I named him) is that he loves me and would do anything for me and also protects me...I miss him so much right now but in July I will go to my grandpas farm and spend a month with my baby...<3333333

·
Registered
47 Posts
What I love about my mare Muneca(doll in Spanish) is that she teaches me how to be strong even though she is a little mean we still have our precious moments..<3333333

·
Registered
73 Posts
Reagan, thank you so much for putting trust in me and for showing me affection. When you first came to me, you were so head shy, and just today I walked up to you out in the pasture and put a fly mask on with out a halter and you were so good! I love when I ride you and drop your head and give me this great western pleasure-esque headset and I can ride you with no contact on the reins. You have taught me more about trust and leadership than any class I could have ever taken. I know that you're in retirement, but I want you to know that grooming and treats will never stop.

Norman, you are such a funny horse. You have really begun to behave yourself and I am so glad. Thank you for putting up with our tons and tons of figure eights while I hold the reins with my thumbs to practice light hands. You're the best little trail horse anyone could ever hope for and I love how you let me lean up against you while you graze. Your forehead scritches, treats, and grooming will never cease. I love your giant eyes and your sweet knickers when I come near. Thank you for being so excited to see me every day.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts