The Horse Forum banner

Apps, tips, tricks for keeping track of horse info

179 Views 9 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  missy06
Just wandering if anyone could recommend an app or template or tips for keeping track of multiple horses health issues, vaccinations,floating, blanket,sizes and everything else…starting to get confused on which horse is due for what..
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2013 aqh paint gelding - best boy ever!
1,614 Posts
I just write it on my calendar lol. I have a big whiteboard calendar and I just write the date which animal was trimmed (try to keep everyone on the same schedule so they all get done at once) and then I write down which vaccination/dewormer each horse got as well :)

· Registered
13,071 Posts
I still do this the old fashioned way — three ring binders with dividers in them for each horse.

If multiple horses are in one bill, then i make enough copies for each horse’s section in the binder.

After fifty years of this, I have multiple binders - it’s quite a history trip to sit with hard copies and look back.

As far as x-rays - they have all been since the “new age” of e-mails and texts, so I do keep those on line.

Far as appointments, I also use a calender with big blocks to write them. It has its own spot on the kitchen counter🤠

Reactions: AbbySmith

· Super Moderator
17,130 Posts
Binder user here as well. That way all hard copies are available if needed or can be easily copied.

· Registered
64 Posts
Yep, three ring binder! I use the kind with the clear sleeve on the front so I can put pictures of the horse on it!
Try to get as many horses on the same schedule as you can for appointments and stuff.
When I schedule my farrier and my vet for regular maintenance, I put the appointment in my phone on the calendar with an alarm. I schedule my farrier for the next visit at the end of each session.

· Registered
8,061 Posts
I use google sheets. I have one column for name so I can sort by that if needed.

I don't keep track of things like their blanket sizes, though. That's a good idea. I could make a new tab for that.

Reactions: AbbySmith

· Registered
595 Posts
I have a binder for physical copies, and keep everything written in my planner but my SO bought me a barrel racing planner that also has a veterinary/farrier/general care section as well. I also keep my digital receipts in my files on my phone as most of my standard visits are farm visits so no printed copy

· Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,960 Posts
There used to be a disc that one could order, Horse Works or something like that. I had it on an old computer years ago. Loved that program!
You could put everything in it and do it on all the horses you had as it was expandable to an unlimited number of horses.
Plus it made pedigrees!

Then when I updated my computer, the program would not run on the new operating system. That sucked. It was awesome while it lasted.

THen, I think that's when I went to MS One Note and made a page for every horse I had, what foals they produced, by what stallion. And could include all health stuff, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts