The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, but it would sure help us keep the tails clean during show season. I was always taught never to leave a horse's tail braided when they were unsupervised because of the risk of getting it caught in something and ripping a large chunk of tail out. So I am surprised to see people using these. I also saw them advertised at a popular equestrian store as accessories that could be left on a horse in the pasture for several days. Thoughts?

Here's the type of tail bag I mean (just a generic pic pulled off Google):

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
I have one of those in gold. Riley used to wear it. If it got caught one something - the whole thing would pull off so I didn't have issues with it.

Reactions: Acadianartist

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Speaking of ripping a large chunk of tail out, I know a lady who sent her show horse to a trainer where her horse caught it something and degloved part of his dock.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one of those in gold. Riley used to wear it. If it got caught one something - the whole thing would pull off so I didn't have issues with it.
Good to know! So is it kind of loose? I feel like if the bottom or top got caught in something, it would catch the actual tail that is braided... but I'd love to be wrong! I have left one-piece tail bags on briefly, but never felt really comfortable doing so, and certainly would not do it for days on end. So I'm genuinely curious about this one.

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
With mine - is tail was fairly short because he had fallen asleep with it in the water bucket - which froze - and then ripped his tail out. So the bottom braid of the bag and where I closed it off actually had no tail in it. That ended near the hocks. So if you have a horse with a longer tail that actually goes to the bottom of the bag - it might be a different story.

Reactions: Acadianartist

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
The three piece braid in tail bags were what most everyone I knew used in the 90s, team ropers to reiners.
I tried to sell some I had a couple years ago and I had to give them away, I think it's funny they are making a come back.

I quit using them because if I tried using them on a short tailed horse they'd lose them. I had trouble keeping them in. In the time I've used, been around them, no issues of them ripping tail hair off. Anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.
I should note that's for the lycra ones. They used to make fleece. Ick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts