The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I think TBs are absolutely gorgeous and very often the sweethearts! :)

But I tried TBs in 3 different barns and every time I had a very bumpy ride. Especially the trot (so I could feel my back after that). Is it something common for the breed?

I ride mostly QHs, and they are very smooth on trot (and canter). Even my I-thought-bumpy paint (she has lots of TB in her) is much more smooth than any TB I tried.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
i find warmbloods a lot bumpier then any TB ive ridden, my first horse, a full TB, was the second smoothest( the first was a little QH) horse i have ever ridden. I think a lot of thoroughbreds are bumpy because most of them have such logn strides and are big. now i have a TB/Hanoverian.... now tht is a bumpy horse!! haha i can barely sit the trot when its not collected!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
ridergirl, a TB/hanovarian? he must be sooooo gorgeous. And very bumpy- my first lease horse was a hano, and I never had any hope of sitting that trot! My current horse is a TB and he can be bouncy. Once I get his mind working, he smooths out a bit, when I get him nice and collected he's about as smooth as silk.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
^haha ya, shes my baby <3 but i love to ride bareback, a TB's big withers and a hano big trot, haha not very nice to try and sit!

·
Registered
892 Posts
The mare I just sold was smooth and she was pure TB. This guy I have now, DWxQH can be bumpy before he collects and settles into his stride. Phoof!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Nope. Not all TB's are bumpy. A lot of it has to do with how high their withers are, I believe (IDK for sure). But one of my TB's has a choppy stride and the other one is very flowy. Just depends on the individual horse IMO

·
Registered
798 Posts
mine has a very smoth canter but a very bumpy nad painfull trot!! therfore, I usually just skip the trot and go right to canter:lol:

·
Registered
286 Posts
My thoroughbred is super smooth. I could post her trot all day. Where I find a lot of thoroughbreds lacking is the canter, it's often jarring and rough, but my thoroughbred's canter, while not as smooth as a quarter horse, is still pretty smooth. I think thoroughbred's conformations can sometimes naturally lend them to rougher feeling movement, but there are quite a few exceptions.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Every horse is different. It's true some breeds have certain or more specific horse conformation characteristics making them more prone to moving a certain way but not all are bumpy.

Having said, the 2 tbs I have owned had very bumpy trots as well, my gelding had an amazingly smooth canter tho...

So no, not all tbs will be uncomfortable to ride.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My Thoroughbred had a huge trot and yes it was rather bumpy when I first got him. In fact for the first week I had a hard time posting more than a couple of strides without feeling like I was going to fall out of the saddle! Over time though I think he became more balanced and his trot smoothed out and he ended up having a really comfortable sit trot.

His canter was always liquid smooth though.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing, All! I guess I wasn't very lucky OR I'm too spoiled (my qh is very smooth even for qh). :wink:

What about arabs and irish drafts? Anyone had experience with those breeds? I gonna try one next-next week for the lesson and really excited (never rode one).

P.S. I always thought WB should be SUPER smooth. But doesn't sound like it's a case! :shock:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Again, depends on the horse. I have only had experience with Polish Arabs but the ones I've ridden have been VERY VERY VERY smooth rides. Probably the smoothest ride I've ever had. I loff them :)

I dunno about Irish Draughts.

Warmbloods, because there is so much different blood that goes into them, really depends. My American Warmblood is very smooth and she's a TB/Shire

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have heard that Friesians have very smooth gaits, but I only have ever ridden crosses not the "real thing."

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have heard that Friesians have very smooth gaits, but I only have ever ridden crosses not the "real thing."
I tried Andalusian once. He was VERY nice and smooth to ride. I'm still amazed how lucky was the owner. That was one of those rare cases when he got obviously pure bred horse, broke (although not the best) and gentle, at the horse auction for REALLY cheap. :shock:

·
Registered
339 Posts
My thoroughbred picks up a lot at the trot, making his trot verrrry bumpy. But the more I collect him, his trot gets smoother. But on the other hand his canter is the best canter Ive ever ridden! I think a lot of things hav to do with it too. Such as strength, prior training and height.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hmm, lets see here....

Heidi- I seem to recall that she was quite smooth, but a little bouncy. Though that is hard for me to remember since it has been a year since I rode her... (RIP)
Maddie- She was smooth, very nice mover. Sadly, I had mental breakdowns when mounting her (though I was great after that), or else I would have bought her as a dressage prospect.
Junior- Not so much bouncy, more jolting... Yes, thats the word, jolting. I already have a bad back, so I chose not to ride him often... ;]
Bear- Bouncey, but smooth. He is very comfortable to ride (which surprises me as he is so heavy on the forehand) even at the trot, though it takes some core muscles to be able to sit the trot. ;]

Oh, and there was Joey- He could bounce you into space if you didnt ride him right, and sadly, at the time I was riding him (only a few rides), I couldnt ride without losing my balance to save my life. *gigglesnort*
Oh, and Red (different Red then my Rhedd ;])- They said he was reg. TB, but sometimes I questioned it... Very smooth gates, level headed, just easy ride for the most part. Sometimes I swear he was QH or something... O.O

^^ 'Tis my input...

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
i always thought WB would be smooth too! haha my aunts hano is VERY smooth, with a very rough canter. and my hanov/tb has a bumby trot (when not collected) but a very nice canter, although its still rather hard to ride bareback! haha
the only arab ive ever ridden was really smooth! its funny how different they all are!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts