The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
TC, I keep thinking the same thing...it is blurry and I cannot tell. It almost looks like a mechanical hackamore, but if so, it is way too low, and still looks backwards.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
TC, I keep thinking the same thing...it is blurry and I cannot tell. It almost looks like a mechanical hackamore, but if so, it is way too low, and still looks backwards.
About 2/3 down the first page, the OP states that it isn't a hack, it's a bit. o_O
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's a bit! I stated this....and yeah someone missed with my headstall the first picture it's backwards. The other photos if you can't tell I fixed it. No damage to the horse's mouth! It's a curb bit with shanks, not a hack!
I like sidepulls if it's a hackamore.

Thanks.
Always I have problems with my back, so some days are worse than others....
I was more focused on my legs honesty.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also I love her blaze, the random O on the side...always called it the puzzle piece because it looks like another piece of a puzzle would complete it.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stating it might be on backwards! Some people don't realize this!
Does not matter if it a bit or a hackamore or a side pull! if it is on backwards, it is on backwards!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stating it might be on backwards! Some people don't realize this!
Does not matter if it a bit or a hackamore or a side pull! if it is on backwards, it is on backwards!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A curb bit works on leverage...rather than pressure.

Wait...how can a hack be on backwards? o_O I understand a bit but a hackamore?
Uhh I'm pretty sure it matters for a horse's cue if it's on backwards.

I fixed it, but man I couldn't believe I didn't noticed it before mounting my horse. Blonde me...

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
So, I also kind of want to say that sometimes, your saddle does mess with your position. Barrel saddles (looks like thats what youre using) have their stirrups hung a little bit more forward, to help with sitting you deeper in your turns when barrel racing. This also will kind of make your leg sit a little bit more forward than whats "proper" and youll just end up fighting your saddle for position.
Both of my saddles (team roper and barrel) put my leg a little bit more ahead than what's "correct"
As you can see here:

But I'm still capable of getting my leg under me in other tack:

So that's something to consider when you're looking at your position, ask yourself if you feel like you're fighting your saddle.

I also want to address this:

To me, that is a dead give away that you are bracing and are very stiff.

You should ride around at a walk with your feet out of the stirrups and let your leg hang down and relax, let it hug your horses barrel, and when you feel relaxed, think toes up and in, which will help you stretch your heel down without sticking your feet out.
This isnt the best example for this because I have my weight shifted over, but you can see the differences between my leg and yours.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, I also kind of want to say that sometimes, your saddle does mess with your position. Barrel saddles (looks like thats what youre using) have their stirrups hung a little bit more forward, to help with sitting you deeper in your turns when barrel racing. This also will kind of make your leg sit a little bit more forward than whats "proper" and youll just end up fighting your saddle for position.
Both of my saddles (team roper and barrel) put my leg a little bit more ahead than what's "correct"
As you can see here:

But I'm still capable of getting my leg under me in other tack:

So that's something to consider when you're looking at your position, ask yourself if you feel like you're fighting your saddle.

I also want to address this:

To me, that is a dead give away that you are bracing and are very stiff.

You should ride around at a walk with your feet out of the stirrups and let your leg hang down and relax, let it hug your horses barrel, and when you feel relaxed, think toes up and in, which will help you stretch your heel down without sticking your feet out.
This isnt the best example for this because I have my weight shifted over, but you can see the differences between my leg and yours.

It is a barrel saddle. I use to race back when I was in high school.
That photo was the same day as the other photos in that post...in the other ones, my legs aren't that far away from the barrel of the horse. Do you think maybe it's cause it's in a faster gait, I was kicking up my horse?

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Hackamores most definitely can be put on backward and they are completely ineffective (and can cause serious damage) if used backward. My friend accidentally had her Quick Stop hack backwards for a few rides and afterward, her gelding was a bear to bridle for quite a while.

As for the bit being backward, I would say it actually probably matter MORE with a curb than with a snaffle if it's backward or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hackamores most definitely can be put on backward and they are completely ineffective (and can cause serious damage) if used backward. My friend accidentally had her Quick Stop hack backwards for a few rides and afterward, her gelding was a bear to bridle for quite a while.

As for the bit being backward, I would say it actually probably matter MORE with a curb than with a snaffle if it's backward or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
I never said it didn't matter!
And I would disagree it would matter I whole lot more in a snaffle than curb...IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,698 Posts
Confession time: Last week, I rode little 13 hand Cowboy. He was fine on left turns, but kind of slow on right turns and stops. About two miles down the trail, I got off and took a look. Sure enough, the left rein was attached to the bit, and the right was still on his halter. It isn't my first faux pas with tack, and won't be my last. Can't blame little Cowboy for giving me the stink eye, though...

FWIW, I find it easier to let my lower leg hand next to my horse if my toes go out some. My left is always further out than my right - which is true when I jog as well - so it is about 40 deg & 20 deg. If I try to put my toes straight ahead, it drives my lower leg off my horse. Don't know if that is because I'm in 50s, but that is how it works with me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The way I see it you are putting you heels down but in order to do so you are simply pushing your legs out in front of you. Build a base of support in your leg, don't put your heels down. Try to make a straight line, ear,shoulder, hip to heel.
As I understand from reading other responses you may have been giving a side pass cue when the picture was taken so I understand this may be a result of that.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.