The Horse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The groom said the other horses are biting Rowan and showed me these things on his barrel as evidence. They are weird raised areas. I don't know if he actually saw them biting him or is just speculating. These don't look like bite marks to me, plus it's an odd place for bites in my limited experience. What do you guys think?

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They look like they're from an insect since they're raised like that. Could be stings.
That's what I thought, too. But I can't imagine what's biting him out in that pasture that he wasn't exposed to in his paddock. I wonder if he rolled in an ant nest or something. He's fly sprayed so it shouldn't be flies.

Super Moderator
I can see those being a fly by bite as opposed to a fly by kick. A horse running in and biting then running off. They look like pinches to me. A bite the swelling will go down fairly quickly or with with cold hose. Insect bite takes longer and is usually itchy if 馃悳

Super Moderator
He has no padding on his frame so bites are going to look different than most have seen.
I tend to agree with the barn workers...
You've got Rowan in with new horses where in "his" paddock he was protected from attacks.
I believe you said he is taller than the ponies so indeed the area they would reach and bite is going to be a different location seen.
You know he doesn't fight back really, so is going to take some weird nips and bite and run tactics from the aggressor animals. It was why I had said prior in comments of this or other threads you've been making it is to soon to put him in with others because he is not yet able to defend himself or run off if chased...

So as you said...the areas the animals re in are side-by-side so what is different now than a week ago....he is in with, not protected by a fence dividing him from the others.

Could this be a insect bite...possibly, but then wouldn't you expect to see similar on the other animals? I would.
I also don't "see" Rowan being so relaxed he is laying down in this new environment with animals yet picking on him..
Indeed, I do think your barn workers are correct and Rowan is taking some nasty aggressive bites from the others.
Instead of grabbing a mouthful of meat to bite, they scrape ribs and pinch his skin getting you weird looking marks. :cautious:
Instead of "socializing" as is your intention he is taking the brunt of some punishment from the herd he doesn't have the energy or fat reserves to lose...
All the work and food fed is being stressed off and exercise walked off is my feeling and opinion.
If he was under my care he would not be put out in the herd yet...to me it is to soon for him.
馃惔....

Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
Yep, I agree those are bites but not the kind that takes hide these are pinch bites, the horses are not grabbing a mouth full of flesh but just the skin and then they pull back and its pinches the heck out them.
I thought Rowan stayed in a pen by him-self?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@My Salty Pony he's in a paddock by himself in the daytime. But I need the paddock for Moonshine at night. He was in a stall by himself at night but he didn't like that very much.

I have one other option, which would be to put him in Moonshine's stall / tiny paddock at night. It borders on that gelding pasture also so he could socialize with them if he wanted. As opposed to the stall where he was spending the night that was kind of separated from everyone else. It would be a little extra work for the grooms, but I could do that.

I think I'll give him a couple more nights out there to see if they can get it worked out. If not, I'll do the above.

Reactions: My Salty Pony

Premium Member
@My Salty Pony he's in a paddock by himself in the daytime. But I need the paddock for Moonshine at night. He was in a stall by himself at night but he didn't like that very much.

I have one other option, which would be to put him in Moonshine's stall / tiny paddock at night. It borders on that gelding pasture also so he could socialize with them if he wanted. As opposed to the stall where he was spending the night that was kind of separated from everyone else. It would be a little extra work for the grooms, but I could do that.

I think I'll give him a couple more nights out there to see if they can get it worked out. If not, I'll do the above.
@ACinATX - aww Gotcha (y)

Registered
He is being chased off feed. He needs his own space. He may be happier if he is able to see the other horses. I find it to be cruel to the horse being picked on in any herd. When I had horses out one large lot, if I had 10 horses, I put out 15 piles of hay. I spaced them out . I would start a row in the front with hay and have it spaced 3 feet or so apart and then go toss hay further back and make a second or at times a third row. IF i still had a horse being beat up from the herd, I pulled them out and used portable panels and made a separate pen. ANd to clarify each pile was the full feeding. I did not short any piles.

Super Moderator
At this time, in the condition he's in you don't make it easy on you (or your barn employees). You make it easy on him. Having him chased around and bitten at night means he's stressed. He can't rest. He can't relax and he can't get REM sleep. You rescued him to make his life better. That is not happening during nights. If you can't commit to keeping him in a safe space until he is solid and well on his way physically to recovery for the convenience of yourself or those that care for him then return him. He's not there yet. Rehabbing an animal that was neglected and needs to gain is not a quick process of days or weeks. It can be months or years. Fortunately he isn't on the years end of the spectrum.

Registered
He's being bullied and run off his feed. He needs to be allowed to relax, rest, recuperate and not be mistreated anymore by humans or by horses. Due to his physical condition, he is the bottom of the pecking order and he's going to remain that way until he builds up his weight and condition and that will take months, not days or weeks. You are working on HORSE time, not human time, now. You need to find another solution for Moonshine, he needs his paddock. Either put him in her paddock/stall at night or in his own stall. He may not love it, but he loves his feed and being able to eat and sleep in peace which he's not being allowed to do right now. Boarding is not an ideal situation for rescuing horses if you can't lease out enough suitable area for all the horses in your care. If you can't lease out enough to give him and Moonshine the area they each need, then let the rescue know it's not working out and send him back. Don't let him continue to be beat up and mistreated. If they pop out to visit and see him with bite marks all over him they are not going to be happy with you and will likely take him back and not allow you to try to take another horse. The idea of rescuing is to improve the animals situation, this is not improving for him, he's still not getting to eat and relax.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, I'll evaluate when I go and see him tonight and make the change if needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If they pop out to visit and see him with bite marks all over him they are not going to be happy with you and will likely take him back and not allow you to try to take another horse.
I did clear it with them before I put him out there. I told them I'd keep an eye on things and bring him in if needed. And I will, if needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I guess I will probably move him. I was trying to balance his physical needs (food) with his mental needs (companionship) and hoping he could get both out there. Maybe not.

Reactions: My Salty Pony

Premium Member
If you dont have the extra room needed for Rowan I would go buy portable panels at Tractor Supply and either divide a pen with Moonshine or build Rowan a pen for himself so he wont get picked on so much from the others, I dont think I would wait another night because that could be the night he gets ran threw the fence are needs Vet care from getting ran into something and gets cut up.
Poor fella its so sad that other horses (Or any other animal) can be so mean and cruel to a weak member. I dont turn horses out together if they dont get along I just keep them in their own space and they get to take turns going out in the pasture if needed, now that all my horses are older they all get alone a whole lot better and I can turn them out together sometimes, but for feeding they all have their own pens/places so no body can run the other off their feed, they all eat at a different pace some slower then others and some faster..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everything is OK. I went out there today and the groom said they aren't biting him any more. I went out to see for myself and found him at the round bale with what he clearly considers his friends now. He didn't greet me with a worried face but with a happy relaxed face. I don't see any more signs of bites on him. So it looks like they got it all worked out.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts