The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question and it may seem silly about breeding. If I have a mare and she was bred to a stallion and then he was bred to a different mare would that offspring be related somehow? Like step daughter, maybe I鈥檓 just trying to find any connection to my mare that has passed away and I still miss 馃槉. Thanks for any help. Hopefully I posted in the proper topic

Registered
Should be just like if a man had children by two different women. They'd be half sisters.

Reactions: secuono

Registered
Mare 1 was bred to Stallion 1, producing foal 1. Mare 2 was bred to Stallion 1, producing Foal 2. The two foals share 1/2 of their genetic makeup, through their sire.
The two mares are unrelated.
Mare 1 is unrelated to Foal 2.

Is that what you are asking?

Registered
Half siblings, but I think I'm right in saying that sharing a sire would not be considered a relation. Dams have fewer foals so are thought to have more influence, in comparison to a stallion who may have a huge number over many years.

Reactions: ACinATX and egrogan

Super Moderator
There would be no relation at all between the other mare's foal and your mare. The two foals would be half siblings.

Registered
In much of the horse world, horses are only "siblings" if they share the same dam.
That's interesting, I've never heard of that!

Reactions: ACinATX

Super Moderator
Only place I see where you might possibly have similarities is to find another horse with exact same breeding parentage...
Mare and stallion the same might give you a chance of similar...
馃惔...

Registered
Half siblings, but I think I'm right in saying that sharing a sire would not be considered a relation. Dams have fewer foals so are thought to have more influence, in comparison to a stallion who may have a huge number over many years.
It would if you were breeding. Then you would be line breeding. Lots of horses that have been line bred that are close to being inbred.

Banned
I have hard horses all by the same sire, out of different dams. They were siblings.
That isn't traditional with regards to horses. Foals sired by the same stallion are typically said to as being "By the same Sire", not referred to as half-siblings (Even if genetically, that is what they are!). Half-siblings in horses is usually reserved for foals who have the same Dam.

The average, everyday horse owner is under no obligation to follow tradition of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts