The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Ok, I posted a few pics in the picture section, and was told they are all way too thin. Is it true, and what can I do to help them(bearing in mind that not all of them are mine):

These are basicaly the same photo's I posted.
DSCN3831.jpg

DSCN3832.jpg

DSCN3839.jpg

DSCN3837.jpg

DSCN3573.jpg

DSCN3109.JPG

DSCN3123.jpg

Please, if they are too thin I really wanna help them, even if I make my parents bankrupt!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you keep them at your own farm> ? Or do you board them out?
If you call your local vet, as well as go to a reputable feed store, they can help you get on a good regime to care for them all,
Is there another horsey person near you that can give you pointers.?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are all kept at my instructers barn, and most of them arent mine. I dont know what to do. Every horse gets at least 4 - 5 scoops twice a day, lots of hay, and plenty grazing. Most of them are TB's, but even the other breeds are thinish. They are all wormed, my instructers have checked them, they've had the dentist out and the vet.

They are all on a high quality feed. They arent sick, except Traces, she was sick, but she picked up weight. What do you think^^? Is there something wrong with them? Am I being a bad owner, like, feeding them wrong?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
They all look a bit thin, but most of them look like they have quite big bellies, and a lot of weight pulled off their ribs/topline. Unless they are all broodmares that are preggo, this might be a good indication you need to get a vet out and run a fecal on them, they could well have a big worm load, and if that's the case you are dumping the feed to the worms, not the horses.

The only one that looks VERY skinny to me is the bay in the purple halter, 5th picture down. You can see he/she has a lot of muscle loss on his/her topline and around hips as well as being ribby. You might want to consider getting teeth checked/floated on some or all of these horses.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No I wouldnt say that you are a bad owner!!!!!!!!!!!!! But there is somthing going on at that barn,,,,,,, and if the barn owner etc has them on good food, lots of hay and water, has had the vet out etc etc. then they should be gaining some weight,
If not I would deffinatly be looking into it alot closer.
If it where my horses there, I would have "alarms" going off in my head, and if things were not getting any better I would seriously think about moving to another barn
How many times a day are they worked? Do they have hay 24/7 right now? Because horses that are on the thiner side as they are, should have 100% acess to nice hay and water, if they dont the weight just will not go on,,, a few flakes at different times a day in a herd of that size just wont do the trick.

Do they feed round bales? Have shelter ? Come in at night>?
Are there more horses on that farm that are in the same condition?
Maybe get your parents to talk to the barn manager ,, even the vet,,,, Iam sure if the vet is a good one, he/she will have a few thoughts on the matter

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
That's pretty thin. Give them different grain (Nutrena Equine Senior is GREAT for building weight on senior horses), give them some crimped oats, beet pulp maybe, and SUPPLEMENTS. Focus Weight Gain is a really good one for putting weight on. Good luck!

P.S--Have they been wormed regularly? They all look big in the tummy but ribby and thin along the topline, which could mean worms

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have hay and grass available at all times, same with water. Only 3 dont sleep in, because they dont have to. Yes they have shelter. They are fed both round and square bales. But can you just look at the bay mare, 2nd photo down, and tell me what you think of her?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
They have hay and grass available at all times, same with water. Only 3 dont sleep in, because they dont have to. Yes they have shelter. They are fed both round and square bales. But can you just look at the bay mare, 2nd photo down, and tell me what you think of her?
Like I said, she has weight pulled down off her ribs/topline, but then a very swollen belly. If she isn't preggo (which she looks like she is), then she is almost certainly wormed up, or there is something else going on with her. She needs to be checked out by a vet.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
these don't look like starved horses, they look quite wormy or like there might be some digestive issue going on. I agree with all the above posters, have a vet out and they can help you suss out what is going on- why they all have big huge bellies and ribs that show. A vet call will be much cheaper than throwing unnecessary amounts of extra feed and grain, trying to fill them out. Good luck, please update us on their conditions!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I'd put so much money on that horse having a nice big tummy full of worms. I would say A) get a vet out, soon. A good one too. Have blood and fecal tests done. And talk to them about the worming schedual. Alot of people are very uneduated on worming. At different times of the year, the worming needs to be different. If you just worm every now and again with the same wormer, you arn't tackling the right worms for that time of year. A good vet, if he finds worms, will put your mare on a heavy duty worming schedual, and have you put her on a special diet.

Another thing, is it sweet feed that they are getting 4 scoops of? That's A) way to much processed sugar for them and B) has no real weight gain value. The vet will probably put her on corn oil and a rice bran to bring up the fat content of her diet.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
They are all very thin :( they need some more concentrates in their diet and regular worming.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree it looks like the entire herd is worm infested. They all look so dull and lifeless. I would be very concerned if my horse look like this. Sorry to be so blunt.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I agree with everyone else. We had two older gelding at our barn, who were ribby, but had big hay bellies, and the vet told the owner to do the 5 day powerpac wormer, and lo and behold, within a few weeks, the bellies were going down, and the ribs were less prominant. Fortunately these guys were in a pasture all to themselves, so no other horses got infected, but when I see a horse thats ribby, but has a belly, either she's pregnant, or has worms. And it is true that different wormers are needed at different times of the year based on what types of worms are growing and reproducing at that particular time.
All the Thoroughbreds I've known and worked with have all been a little bit ribby, just cause thats what they are, but they don't have big bellies, and have good muscling. I would talk with a vet, and see what type of wormer you should be using right now, and ask the barn manager what she's been worming them with, and go from there. Keep in mind though, that if you need to change the wormer, because they've been getting the wrong stuff, ALL the horses need to be wormed, otherwise the infestation will just keep cycling, and the horses you wormed will end up getting worms again from those horses who weren't dewormed.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
ALL the horses need to be wormed, otherwise the infestation will just keep cycling, and the horses you wormed will end up getting worms again from those horses who weren't dewormed.
Yes, that's an important point, and a common problem at boarding facilities. All the horses need to be wormed on the same schedule at the same time. If they are all wormed at different times, then turned out together, they will all just keep reinfecting each other.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
If it where my horses there, I would have "alarms" going off in my head, and if things were not getting any better I would seriously think about moving to another barn

This is how I feel. I would also wonder why the BO isn't worried.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I agree with everyone, those horses all look very wormy. The first thing you need to do is get your horses on a good deworming program because if you don't get rid of the parasites, you might as well throw your money away because you're feeding the worms, not the horses. They look rather malnourished because their coats are dull and they look a bit droopy. But that probably has a lot to do with the parasite problem.

My second question is where in the world is the BO??? Why has she not addressed the issue? If I was you, I would seriously consider moving your horses to another barn. Even if you worm your horses, they'll be a lot better off away from the horses that are still infested. And as for putting on weight, rice bran and beet pulp work really well.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I agree. I'd be searching for a better place to keep my horse. If ALL the horses are like this.... I'm seriously worried about the treatment and well being of my horse.

·
Registered
975 Posts
these don't look like starved horses, they look quite wormy or like there might be some digestive issue going on. I agree with all the above posters, have a vet out and they can help you suss out what is going on- why they all have big huge bellies and ribs that show. A vet call will be much cheaper than throwing unnecessary amounts of extra feed and grain, trying to fill them out. Good luck, please update us on their conditions!
I agree. The horses don't look like they don't get fed they have big bellies but if you can see ribs it can be a problem it just seems like they may have a worm problem though, but im sure if you get your local vet out and have them checked out and the vet telling you what to do you should be good to go.
Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.