The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently ordered an english saddle with no leathers or stirrups and I'm pretty lost on what leathers to buy. I heard wide leathers are amazing. They're very expensive though and I can't find any used ones. Are they worth it? Do they make that much of a difference? I'd hate to buy regular leathers just to end up wanting wide ones.
Also, I read that you shouldn't use synthetic leathers on a leather saddle.. The saddle I ordered is synthetic, would it rub and damage leathers that are real leather?

Super Moderator
Depending upon the manufacturer of your saddle you may have to use a specific stirrup leather to fit that saddles stirrup bar design.
I also would not mix leather and synthetic either.
Leather to leather, synthetic to synthetic.

As for width...
When younger my saddle came with 1 1/8 wide leathers....
When I upgraded quality of saddle I also changed to a narrower strap...
I found doing this reduced the feeling of bulk under my upper inner thigh.
Make sure what ever width leather you use your stirrups will allow that width to thread through the opening stirrup top loop...

Happy safe riding to you and welcome to the forum!!
馃惔...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the detailed reply, I don't know what I'd do if I got $130 leathers and ruined them with my saddle. Well, that gets wide leathers out of the picture, and yes to cheap synthetics.Thank you very much!! :D

Registered
I ride with the wide Millbrook Saddle Leathers ($179) - I like them, a lot. I had hoped that they would help with my the pain I experienced from spraining my knee and hip, and I think they do. I also really think that they help with stabilizing my leg - but without a good riding foundation, they aren't going to make you have a perfect leg.

BUT, I bought them after riding English for 10 years, they were certainly not my first pair of stirrup leathers. I bought them right around when Millbrook Leathers released them and they were new to the market - before Total Saddle Fit and other companies made their own versions too. Ovation has a set for $50 on Riding Warehouse, Dover has their own set for $90.

If you decide to upgrade to a leather saddle someday, I'd consider getting them, but I also would not mix leather and synthetic. I'd be concerned that the synthetic would wear away at the leathers.

Registered
I have used fleece stirrup covers when using synthetic leathers on a leather saddle to protect the leather. Now I use them on all my leathers to keep those wear marks from happening.

Super Moderator
It depends. I have both the single leather wide and the one that has the narrow behind the wide. Both had to be fit carefully. Both made a noticeable difference and are comfortable. I don't need half chaps with either. I can tell there is a second under the wide on the one that is the large loop like a typical leather but it is not as bothersome.

My child appropriated the single wide for himself. He had ridden in both and loves them but these were the ones he liked best as it is super smooth under the leg.

Registered
The main reason for not using 'leather' leathers on synthetic saddles is they can leave a grease mark on the flaps. I once had a Thorowgood saddle damaged by a leather one stacked on top of it - basically, whatever the leather had been oiled with (I think) degraded the thin plastic surface where the leather sweat flap edges had been in contact with the synthetic flaps. Griffin saddles then had a composite plastic flap and it was the decorative top surface which was damaged. The T4 saddles use a different material and construction - I've seen loads of leather leathers used on them with no detrimental effect, apart from the grease mark.

I confess I've never tried 'wide' leathers. I can see that they're unlikely to pinch, but that's about the only advantage. Plus you lose adjustability, if that's an important consideration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts