The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we cannot underrate the importance of making sure our horses are properly aligned, stretched and warmed up, so often I find that we as riders completely ignore the other side of the coin.

If you as a rider are off, tight, sore, etc., it IS going to affect your horse as well. Not to mention the fact that it will hinder your performance. We as riders are athletes. Athletes must take care of their bodies to preform properly. Many of us do not ride as our source of income. That means most of us spend hours at a desk, standing, or bent over.. you name it! Our bodies have to adapt to these situations. Lets say you have a desk job, I could almost garentee you suffer from anterior pelvic tilt. This then can lead to lower back pain and knee pain. Your posture also very heavily affects the alignment of the rest of your body.

I myself am going through the process of getting my body back in a more functional order. I spent a year in severe back pain. My body had to adapt to that. Then after surgery, the anagnistic disk in question was taken care of. I no longer have back pain because of the herniation, however now I have to get all the affected muscles back in working order. I am now having to teach my body a completely new way of going. It still wants to stick to the adaptations it made. Those adaptations are not healthy!

So once you have your horse completely sorted out, don't forget about yourself! I have found some amazing websites and youtube videos that have really helped me. Don't think just because you can't afford a chiropracter or physical therapist, that you can't do anything for yourself. The internet is an amazing place. Use it!

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Are YOU healthy and working correctly? Yep I can answer that with a firm NO.

I am falling apart because I grew up with a family that doesn't believe in doctors so if I have issues... I don't go to them. And this is coming from the girl that goes "If you have any doubts, get the vet out" lol...

I don't take vitamins anymore and I rarely have the chance to "work out" aside from riding and walks now and then cause of my intense studies and fulltime job.

It's just me being difficult.. eventually I'll get myself to a good place. Every other aspect of my life is fine though :)

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I've often thought about this. Is it something people do, go to see a physio or chiro when they don't have any specific issues? Just to check out balance and posture etc.? Who is the person you would see for something like that?

I have a sway back and am generally really stiff and not flexible. I'm sure it doesn't help my horses out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've often thought about this. Is it something people do, go to see a physio or chiro when they don't have any specific issues? Just to check out balance and posture etc.? Who is the person you would see for something like that?

I have a sway back and am generally really stiff and not flexible. I'm sure it doesn't help my horses out.
Ya know.. that is a good question. If our horses seem off we usually call the Chiro or Physio for them. Even if its just to check balance or what not. I feel we likely can do the same for ourselves. You could call up a few Chiro's and ask about just an overall evaluation.

I have several simple stretches I do in the morning and throughout the day when I have time. I've been blown away over the last few months how much of a difference its made.

I've always been on the inflexible side. Especially in the hamstrings, hips and pelvis area. I would post some examples of stretches.. but at the moment the computer is being a wee bit dumb. :sad:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are YOU healthy and working correctly? Yep I can answer that with a firm NO.

I am falling apart because I grew up with a family that doesn't believe in doctors so if I have issues... I don't go to them. And this is coming from the girl that goes "If you have any doubts, get the vet out" lol...

I don't take vitamins anymore and I rarely have the chance to "work out" aside from riding and walks now and then cause of my intense studies and fulltime job.

It's just me being difficult.. eventually I'll get myself to a good place. Every other aspect of my life is fine though :)
Sometimes it is not feasible for us to go to the doctor either. It is expensive! Heck I haven't taken vitamins since... well honestly I don't remember.

I'm by no means a health freak. I LOVE greasy, cheesy hamburgers.. and food in general :D

But I also want my body to stay pain free and healthy as long as possible, and a few stretches in the morning and evening really aren't all that time consuming.. and a feel amazing! Honestly!

I will post some videos/pictures if anyone is interested!

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Nope, I come from a long line of people with health problems, and I seem to have taken all of them xD if we were horses, I'm pretty sure we would be the term 'severely backyard bred.' LOL.

I do try to care for myself, but I tend to greatly overwork myself too. Bad habit of mine xD I push harder than my body is capable of. You know...like a bad owner trying to get their clubby, roached backed horse to be in the Olympics. hahaha.

I take 5 medications at the moment and I've had 4 surgeries to try to correct my GI problems, but they just keep coming back :3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts