The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a different snaffle bit for my horse, because I wanted a snaffle that looked a little more 'western'. I got the snaffle in the mail today, I put it on him, and he hates it! It just wasn't the right shape for him. So, after the ride, I came back inside and went to the chick saddlery website where I got the bit from and here is what it said about returns: Returns: You can return anything that you purchase from us, for any reason, for a full refund, within 30 days of purchase. All returned items must be returned in the same condition as when shipped. We do not accept returns on used merchandise.

RAWR!!! Here is the bit that I got him: Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Antique Finished Snaffle Bit It doesn't look like it in the picture, but the part of the bit that goes in his mouth is really curved. That's why he didn't like it. *sigh* oh well. Live and learn. Thanks for reading my rant :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Clean it and send it back! Just say when you measured it against your old bit it was the wrong shape/size and you want a refund/exchange!
I doubt if they will be able to tell if you only used it once...

·
Registered
225 Posts
The whole company has gone to the toilet. I ordered a 78" blanket and got a 76" I had ordered a bit and polos before Thanksgiving with a 5 business day wait on them and they didnt even ship it for another week...I got it TWO weeks later. I am getting very VERY frustrated with them. Luckily the 76" fit around him (not the length of his body though) so instead of getting hung up on again (like I had been when I called about the bit taking so long) and having to wait another week and a half to get his new blanket with 10 degree nights I just kept the 76"

sorry for adding to the rant *ashamed sad face*

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clean it and send it back! Just say when you measured it against your old bit it was the wrong shape/size and you want a refund/exchange!
I doubt if they will be able to tell if you only used it once...
Actually, I'm doing that! haha:)

The bit is supposed to be contoured to fit with the shape of the horse's mouth and tongue. I have two of them; they're good bits for the price.
Well, every horse's mouth/bit preferences are different. The way it was curved, it bumped his 'canine's and it was too loose and he had to pick it up a lot. So I tightened it, but it was too tight. So with that being said, I'll just stick with the snaffle he has now. Even though it doesn't have the 'straight' part on the ring like the western snaffles do, it looks fine:) I do LOVE the look of it though!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you mean by the "straight part?"

If it was too loose and bumping his canines, like you describe, sounds like the bit was simply too wide for him.
Actually, it looked thinner than the one he has now.
This is the bit he has now: Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Weaver 5 1/2" Loose Ring Snaffle

See how it doesn't have the straight part near the rings? Whereas this one does? Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Antique Finished Snaffle Bit

Sorry, I don't know exactly how to explain it.

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
That's just a loose ring versus a pseduo-eggbutt/D-ring. Has nothing to do with being a Western bit.

And by width, I meant the size of the mouthpiece in length, not the diameter. There is no way that a bit with the correct size should contact his canines unless it is either adjusted far too loosely or he has the world's wonkiest-shaped mouth.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's just a loose ring versus a pseduo-eggbutt/D-ring. Has nothing to do with being a Western bit.

And by width, I meant the size of the mouthpiece in length, not the diameter. There is no way that a bit with the correct size should contact his canines unless it is either adjusted far too loosely or he has the world's wonkiest-shaped mouth.
That's not what I said, but ok. But don't you see how the antique finished snaffle bit's mouthpiece curves? The snaffle he has is pretty much straight. I'm convinced it was the shape of the bit. I've never seen a snaffle shaped like that.
Last time I checked, his mouth was normal....

·
Registered
225 Posts
It might be that since the egg-but (Flat side of the ring) is where it moves and hinges that it is pinching his lips. Also a new shape and new pressure can sometimes agitate a horse.
We had one horse that was so well spur trained we didn't have to take a bridle for him on a trail ride but if you put a bit in his mouth instead of using a hackamore he would pin his ears and become an evil pain in the horses back side. This horse is the most gentle Quarab I've ever handled. The first time I rode him I was 2 Bareback and Bridle-less and he took off at a run to my Uncle (he thought he was a puppy).

The fact that it is a gagged snaffle (bends back like a gag bit) could very well change his entire demeanor.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It might be that since the egg-but (Flat side of the ring) is where it moves and hinges that it is pinching his lips. Also a new shape and new pressure can sometimes agitate a horse.
We had one horse that was so well spur trained we didn't have to take a bridle for him on a trail ride but if you put a bit in his mouth instead of using a hackamore he would pin his ears and become an evil pain in the horses back side. This horse is the most gentle Quarab I've ever handled. The first time I rode him I was 2 Bareback and Bridle-less and he took off at a run to my Uncle (he thought he was a puppy).

The fact that it is a gagged snaffle (bends back like a gag bit) could very well change his entire demeanor.
It didn't pinch him, the mouthpiece was just curved more than what he's used to, and it was thinner. I guess his other one was just a milder design.

·
Registered
97 Posts

How can a snaffle be a gag? You need curb to be a gag don't you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.