The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 year old paint horse was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in his proximal intertarsal joint of his left hock. Vet said that arthritis in that high movement joint was rare and that he probably did something to make it that bad since it is almost fused 馃槥. He also has moderate arthritis in the lower hock joints of the same hock and mild arthritis in the lower hock joints of the other hock. I had both hocks injected and he was feeling way better for 2/3 months. He is currently ridden (doing low level dressage) and walks fine but since it has gotten colder he limps for a good 5-10 minutes when we start trotting. He is on 1/4 pill of previcox a day. Which doesn鈥檛 seem to help anymore. He is also on Omega Alpha鈥檚 Sinew-X + HA but i鈥檓 looking for a better joint supplement. I know there are so many options so please share what worked for your horse :) and I鈥檓 wondering if anyone has a rare case like my horse that has arthritis in his high movement hock joint馃槥.

Registered
Hmm... Not had any experience with arthritis in high movement hock joint but if he is limping he must be in quite a bit of pain. Remember horses don't like to show pain so if they are showing obvious signs somthing is very wrong. I would get you're vets advice before riding him again.

Registered
Cold weather almost always worsens arthritis in any species, humans included. My mare had a very arthritic left knee.
I鈥檓 arthritic myself and injections stopped working for me after a few times. I鈥檇 ask your vet if you can increase the amount of Previcox he鈥檚 taking.
I鈥檇 confine his activity to a walk because anyone who is arthritic needs movement. I wouldn鈥檛 ask him to trot if he鈥檚 limping.
I also used to apply liniment to my mare鈥檚 knee twice a day. I never found a supplement that helped.
I was able to ride my mare until she was 28. Your horse is young to be experiencing this amount of arthritis and sadly I don鈥檛 think this will be the case for you. I wish I could offer more help.

Premium Member
I have no experience with the high hock arthritis.
Have you considered something like Adequan or Pentosan?
I've had great results with Pentosan for hock arthritis. Much better than any feed through and at a better price for the pentosan generic.(15-30$/month after loading)

Results vary, so an injectable might take some experimenting as far as formulation which changes the cost.

Registered
My 11 year old paint horse was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in his proximal intertarsal joint of his left hock. Vet said that arthritis in that high movement joint was rare and that he probably did something to make it that bad since it is almost fused 馃槥. He also has moderate arthritis in the lower hock joints of the same hock and mild arthritis in the lower hock joints of the other hock. I had both hocks injected and he was feeling way better for 2/3 months. He is currently ridden (doing low level dressage) and walks fine but since it has gotten colder he limps for a good 5-10 minutes when we start trotting. He is on 1/4 pill of previcox a day. Which doesn鈥檛 seem to help anymore. He is also on Omega Alpha鈥檚 Sinew-X + HA but i鈥檓 looking for a better joint supplement. I know there are so many options so please share what worked for your horse :) and I鈥檓 wondering if anyone has a rare case like my horse that has arthritis in his high movement hock joint馃槥.
You can try a mixture of Adequan and Legends. The injections are costly but Ive seen good results in old Reiners

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.